Removing smell & taste from canteens?

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I have never tried the following method with plastic canteens but it works very well removing the stale odour from a thermos flask, so it may work with your canteens.

I fill the thermos with hot water and drop in a couple of denture cleaning tablets. "Steradent" is the brand name in the UK, not sure what it will be in the US.

Come to think of it, I am not even sure if dentures are used in the US.:)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Try 4 heaped tablespoons of sugar per litre,allow to soak over night nd then rinse.
It works for camelbaks.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I use wet coffee grind. Put it the flask, shake it and rinse. Vinegar might be another solution, specially if there is some calcifies residue; fill the flask, rest it for 30 min and than do the coffee thing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bicarbonate of soda dissolved in hot water. Fill the flask and leave it for a couple of hours. Rinse out with hot water and leave open to dry.
That's only if the canteeen is musty smelling, if it's got something really horrible then use the baby bottle sterilising stuff.

cheers,
Toddy

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Another vote for bicarb of soda. It even removed some very bad rotten meat odours from our freezer after it died one Christmas. We were away at the time, it was not pleasant to return home to that I can tell you...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For a full clean

Fill will hot water and leave for 30 minutes
Hand ful of gravel, cup of water and shake violently (dislodges crusty stuff)
Brewing steriliser (1sp per litre) fill with hot water leave two hours then rinse
Soluble vitamin C (neutralises steriliser) leave 30 minutes then rinse
Teaspoon of bicarb fill with warm water (removes scent and taste)
Rinse twice

Any lingering problems are best dealt with via a zip fire lighter and a bic

Red

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
After using my flasks and water bottles I stand them up side down for a few hours
roll up to two sheets of kitchen towells still joined up for a longer roll and stick down inside leaving a few inches sticking out of the top
the paper absorbs any moisture left inside, leave for a day turning the paper around and replace with dry one before storing
never had a flask smell or go green because they are stored dry between use
Baby bottle sterilizer or bleach will remove any green if left wet as mentioned previously
Mick

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I don't know if this would work on plastic bottles but....

When I was a nipper, back in the 60's, I can remember my Dad used to go out working for the day in the fields. For drink he took cold tea in an old whisky bottle. When it got stained inside my old Mum used to put a couple of stinging nettles in the bottle with a dash of hot water from the kettle, then cork it and shake the bottle vigorously for a couple of minutes. It cleaned the bottle up a treat.

Dave

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
And I remember having to chase the bears out of the cave before I could go to bed.:D
Thanks for the ideas. I have enough bottles to give most of them a try. Can't find the baby bottle tabs here. Heck they have never heard of Milton.:You_Rock_
Jon R.

StigOfTheDump

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2007
Galloway
Id also say Bicarb, im lazy and forget to clean my flask more often than id like, and Bicarb does a great job of freshening it up, also great for scrubbing the inside of my fridge when ive been away and its gone mouldy inside.

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
I use bleach to clean, then fill with lemon water. Let it stand for a couple of days. I use this and it always works.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE