Remote places in Britain for camp? + my New Zealand Experience

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ukbushmonkey

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2010
Cambridge
I want to put my bushcraft skills the to test after what I have learnt over the years. I was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on where to go, in the middle of nowhere where ill be completely alone for a week, I have never got to do it and thats the one thing I hate about the UK is there are to many people.

I have just got back from New Zealand is the reason why I am sulking lol I was living there for 6 months. I went hiking through the mountains which took 2 days, 24km. I have made a video of my trip if people are interested in taking a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfQxSk8ToSs

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Knoydart looks to be about as isolated as you can get on this island, I've not quite reached that far myself yet but I've explored plenty of the neighbouring glens, lovely country.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Certainly the area known as the "rough bounds of knoydart" with knoydart itself is remote, as is the area to the North of the Cairngorms- Im thinking Ben Avon area, and of course the Whitbread wilderness in the far North.
A traverse around Bheinn a Glo would also be pretty remote.
Rannoch moor to Rannoch station and on to the North West might also be good.
Have a look at a map or two, or read "Hamishs mountain walk" by Hamish Brown, his account of the first solo backpacking trip round all the Munros, lots of good ides for remote multi day treks there.
Hope this helps.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
I can also reccomend rannoch moor, I like camping at Ben Alder (there is a Bothy). there are a good few trails you can follow and if you use the train like mentioned you wont need to go home from the train station you start at.
The only downside I can add is I dont believe you will be on your own at Ben Alder bothy as there are fellow walkers who pass through.

Regards,

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Loch Quoich
Knoydart
quoich.jpg

Last edited:

ukbushmonkey

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2010
Cambridge
By the looks of that picture I wont exactly be thriving lol not much vegetation ect.. looks like an amazing place to be though, being on that river in my kayak would be great.

I have written all those places down so tomorrow im going to look at them on the map :)

thanks guys

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Wilderness may not have much vegetation that's edible. Hence the 'Wilderness' tag. Ben Avon is South Cairngorms. A walk starting in Linn of Dee then west and south to end up at Glen Tilt would be a challenge, few bothies, few shelters, lots of bog, water sources fine, no phone signal. That would be a Challenge !

ukbushmonkey

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2010
Cambridge
That would be a challenge lol in New Zealand I went on a 2 day hike, I didnt know how long it was so I had everything with me in my burgain, laptop 3 pairs of shoes, all my clothes the lot lol I didnt not get chance to go to the shop to guy any food for the trip so I just had a loaf of bread and was drinking river water, during the night we was in a log cabin in the mountains, it had no doors or electric, it went town to 3oc and I had no sleeping bag, so I slept in my survival bag which actually worked a treat. If you watch the video you'll see NZs deadly snail and the biggest meanest insect you have ever seen lol

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Somewhere in NW Scotland should do it. Fisherfield Forest, Fannich Forest, Letterewe Forest, Knoydart:) Try these on Google and look at the images.:)

ukbushmonkey

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2010
Cambridge
My first reaction was wow looking at those pictures, thats where I want to be. When I do go im taking the very basics.. making it more of a survival trip, not a camping trip, knife, water filter, axe, survival blanket and hunting/fishing equipment, I do have a gps tracker if I get into trouble.. anyone feel welcome to join me, it will be in the spring/summer

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
Even on this tiny little island,lots of places where you can get away from people. 20 minutes from car parks and roadside parking in almost any of our National parks and you can frequently spend hours and never set eyes on another soul. Also even with "freedom of access" most people stick to rights of way, so 5 minutes away from paths in the right terrain and you could remain tucked away as long as you like.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Definitely Scotland in the UK. Remotest place I've ever gone is the western end of the Elan valley, west of Claerwen reservoir, in Wales. Pretty remote boggy country, and not nice in wet weather, but I never see a soul unless it is the very height of the summer season.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
That would be a challenge lol in New Zealand I went on a 2 day hike, I didnt know how long it was so I had everything with me in my burgain, laptop 3 pairs of shoes, all my clothes the lot lol I didnt not get chance to go to the shop to guy any food for the trip so I just had a loaf of bread and was drinking river water, during the night we was in a log cabin in the mountains, it had no doors or electric, it went town to 3oc and I had no sleeping bag, so I slept in my survival bag which actually worked a treat. If you watch the video you'll see NZs deadly snail and the biggest meanest insect you have ever seen lol

Hi,

That 'biggest meanest insect' is a Weta.

http://en.wikipedia.org
/wiki/Weta

It looks like your wildeness trip was the RTM circuit on Mt Taranaki IIRC that snail sign is on the path before you descend the ridge to Holly Hut..

ukbushmonkey

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2010
Cambridge
Hi,

That 'biggest meanest insect' is a Weta.

http://en.wikipedia.org
/wiki/Weta

It looks like your wildeness trip was the RTM circuit on Mt Taranaki IIRC that snail sign is on the path before you descend the ridge to Holly Hut..

Haha you know it? It was MT Taranaki, How hard is that trail, I wanted to stop at the Holly hut but we had to keep going to the next hut otherwise the next day would have been very hard. I was unable to film much of the second day as my batteries died. That Weta beetle does look very mean :)

Nonsuch Loch Shiel looks good, I think I may have to do that this Summer.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I lived in a caravan in Milford Sound NZ for a while. It can be a bit of a shock going to wash the dinner dishes and finding a weta in the sink.
They are beautiful though I think.
And much less annoying than Keas...

As others have said Scotland is the way to go for remote, but I think some of the Welsh vallys may be a possiblity.
And of course there are large sections of Ireland that are pretty remote.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
British isolation= when you dont see someone for half an hour.

I dunno. I went hammocking in Kielder over the summer and, apart from the start and end points of the walk, saw no more than four or five folk in twenty four hours. Compare that to bivvying at Derwentwater where encounters were literally every ten minutes during the day. Head out during the week and you stand a much better chance of being alone than if you go at a weekend. I guess if you try hard enough you can stay away from the crowds. Besides, setting yourself an escape and evasion task might be good fun. Handy for any 28 Days Later type scenarios that may pop up in the coming years. ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE