reintroducing lanolin to woolen clothing/blankets?

I've a few woolen items and was debating introducing lanolin to them to add to the weatherproof qualities.
However I'm wondering is it worth the effort/time/ expense?
So folks who have done it do you rate it?
Is it worth doing?
Will the merits of doing it outweigh the time and effort of doing it?
Should I just focus on doing my dutch army surplus blanket?
Or shall I do all of the wooly items I own?
Is there a chance I could mess up the process and ruin them?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Sam

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I have done, a flatcap, a Swedish army tunic, two Birrus cloaks and a regular cloak.... It works pretty well if you get good penetration. I melt a little in hot water and to sink of cooler (yet still warm, just not hot enough to damage the wool!) and soak for as long as I can wait, which is usually not that long! I have also used a cloth soaked in the solution and wiped on as well. That is how I did my Swedish tunic. As for effectiveness, it seems to vary for me. My flatcap is very goad at beading water off, the cloaks are as well. My swedish tunic, which I use a LOT sdoes not bead very well yet I have not got wet in it.

Try on one or two things first to see how it works for you.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Maybe you can use it to natural wool and skins, but already processed items?
I highly doubt it.
Sounds like it might mess up your things and the gains do not seem all that great, so why take the risk.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've done quite a few woolen garments with varying degrees of success, but every one of them has been improved by the process. I bought Anhydrous Lanolin ( ebay, cheap, no smell and 100% pure ). I found that, even though it worked well on knitted items, the really dramatic improvements came on closer woven stuff, old tweed, blankets and charity shop wool trousers. The best thing I did was a blanket which I washed at 60 degrees, felting it a little, then re-lanolised it whilst still damp and clean, leaving it in the lanolin/soap mix overnight and then line drying it with just a light squeeze.............this turned out soft, comfortable and very weather proof.
It's nearly as good as waxed cotton but with none of the drawbacks.

The most important thing is to melt the lanolin very thoroughly, and you must use pure soap with it to get the penetration; if you leave the soap out the lanolin just coats the fibres rather than going right down in there.
Here's a link to the best thread I've found: I've never regretted doing this to any of my stuff, it's only improved things......................http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106539

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the soap on my previous post! Tweed type wool does treat very well, hence my flatcaps amazing water resistance now!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Sam, Mac's account is spot on. I've used it on wool trousers and shirts with good success. You can't really do any harm as long as you follow the instructions and don't have the water too hot.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd be very interested to know your thoughts about this after you've had time to evaluate it; keep us up to date, please?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE