Regular South Wales meets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Well here's a couple of images and was all I managed before my camera froze to death!

I do need to say a big thank you to Steve (redandshane) because even though I buggered up my knee, I slept like a log through high winds and driving rain in the night and Steve was the one up making repairs to the tarp that we were sleeping under.
Cheers Steve!

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Well done steve ;) cheers for those Rich. some crackers. Ive had a shave and haircut now so im looking back to normal.

Last edited:

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Well here's a couple of images and was all I managed before my camera froze to death!

I do need to say a big thank you to Steve (redandshane) because even though I buggered up my knee, I slept like a log through high winds and driving rain in the night and Steve was the one up making repairs to the tarp that we were sleeping under.
Cheers Steve!

looks like you lads had a great weekend thanks for all the pics, :) just curious, is that a gelert solo? ( pic 6) if it is, how did it cope?

steve

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
I had a gelert solo and so did Redandshane. Mine was underneath a tarp but steve's was right in the thick of the snow.

Mine is the new version, handlesd the cold amazingly, i was really toasty but was just uncomfortable because of the roll mat I had. Pleased with it, but I just want some more space now so im looking to get rid of mine. I dont suffer with claustrophobia but this was a little too small for me, plus im 6ft 1".

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
looks like you lads had a great weekend thanks for all the pics, :) just curious, is that a gelert solo? ( pic 6) if it is, how did it cope?

steve

Yep that's my Solo AKA the coffin It coped fine bone dry inside but that was with just some kit in it as we slept in a shelter by the fire
If I had used it I reckon the getting in and out would have been a right faff and snow melt from my clothes and gear would have left it damp
If I had used it I would have hung the brown tarp which is the back of the shelter over it to form canopy or porch
The tent itself has been used in most conditions and copes very well especially with wind its the sheer lack of space that is the problem in wet weather
Usually requires some imaginative ways to get round
James used the newer version under a tarp the previous night

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
If anything tho, the older version is probably better as Ive heard gelerts are going for the cheaper option for maufacture these days so the quality build isnt as good.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I have a new Gelert Solo too. It hasn't been out of the bag yet.
I bought it from Amazon for £25 but then came across a Coleman Aviorx3 for £45. I looked around and new it would have a lot more room in it (being rated a 3 man equates to 2 man at a push) than the Gelert.
That hasn't been out of the bag either but I've since discovered that they are being sold on Amazon for £95 so I guess I had a good deal there.
The X2 goes for £45 but the X3 is twice that. Something not quite right in their priceing structure me thinks.

Feb 12, 2012
s.wales valleys'
is there anyone here have any shooting permissions (airrifles) who would be willing to let three bushman join you on your lands for a long weekend or more

cheers........bb

ps.....end of month is better(payday)

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
they dont let you shoot on the farm we are planning to stay on at the end of this month, theres a sign that says no shooting on the way in. (i think they breed Pheasants on the farm John Fenna said)

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
We had a few going mate, tring to keep the snow out lol there was a huge one tho, Bucephalas and Redandshane will be able to answer you there.

Feb 12, 2012
s.wales valleys'
cheers mate. i meant the tarp over te hammock, i'm a hammock man meself , don't like the builders type tarps, they're too noisy but good for a group shelter, glad to see someone else out in the snow, bushcraft isn't just for summer!
heres a few pics from our last outing, i know i need some camerology lessons :D

http://photobucket.com/winterbushy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE