Red or Brown Sauce?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You should try the British made L&P. Manna in a bottle. The US made one is vastly different. Sweeter, with different blend of spices.

I ask visiting friends to buy it for me.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You should try the British made L&P. Manna in a bottle. The US made one is vastly different. Sweeter, with different blend of spices.

I ask visiting friends to buy it for me.

For a while there was a Special Reserve, packaged in a black bottle. I wish I'd bought more of it, it's very potent compared to the original. If you're short, let me know and I can get a couple of bottle of original over to you. I'm still enjoying the pepper sauces you sent, so happy to return the favour.

No, it's not what we'd call brown sauce. Brown sauce is a sticky, vinegary fruit based sauce, the consistency of Heinz ketchup.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Eat your heart out, kid: just checked my L&P = "Product of England."

No wonder I use so much and want a bigger bottle.
You'll be in Toronto soon enough. Add it to your shopping list.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....No, it's not what we'd call brown sauce. Brown sauce is a sticky, vinegary fruit based sauce, the consistency of Heinz ketchup.

Yeah. That's what I remember (like I said earlier, it compares with A1 Sauce here)

Interesting. US consumets have their L&P made in US, but Canadians import it all the way from Motherland.....

Must be some weird trade deals I guess.

Mine also says "Product of England."

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Weird. From Wikipedia: A thicker variety is also sold in the US market.
The producer also claims the W. Sauce is the oldest commercially bottled condinment in the US

The L&P site says the UK and US receipes differ slightly.

I need to have a peek at the supermarket, but I am 100% sure it is made in the US.
What colour label does your have?
The tan label is the US receipe.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Weird. From Wikipedia: A thicker variety is also sold in the US market.
The producer also claims the W. Sauce is the oldest commercially bottled condinment in the US

The L&P site says the UK and US receipes differ slightly.

I need to have a peek at the supermarket, but I am 100% sure it is made in the US.
What colour label does your have?
The tan label is the US receipe.

Mine is indeed a tan label. It also gives a US (Pittsburgh) address but that's the address of the licensed importer not of the manufacturer. All that said, it's still possible (maybe even likely) that the L&P sold here has a different recipe than the one sold in the UK even if made at the same plant.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well, my HP sauce is made in Holland.

If they follow the same receipe it does not matter as most of the ingredients are imported anyway.

Wasa crackerbread is as Swedish as they come, but most of the bread for foreign markets are made in Germany.

We live in an international world!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I thought we were talking about L&P worcestershire sauce.
Yes, but I wanted to make the point that you can make a virtually identical product as for previous generations even if you move the production abroad.

I was fully booked today so I have not been able to check the ‘US taste’ L&P bottles for production.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
This is NUTZ. There are 2 different "red & brown threads" on the forum. Somebody (OP?) please kill one of them.

santaman: Budweiser is making Australian "Foster's Lager" in both the United States and in Canada.
I did a 4-year taste test, down under. It's still crap.

R.G. Barjey

Nov 19, 2010
Somerset
This is NUTZ. There are 2 different "red & brown threads" on the forum. Somebody (OP?) please kill one of them.

santaman: Budweiser is making Australian "Foster's Lager" in both the United States and in Canada.
I did a 4-year taste test, down under. It's still crap.
Agreed. Can admin delete the other topic please.
Sorry people I didn`t realise I`d put it in two sections.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You mean the US Budweiser. Called Bud in Europe
The real Budweiser is the one called Budvar. Or Budweiser ( German 'from Budweis') -as Budweis is the German name for a town in Czech Republic, Ceske Budejovice, where they have been brewing beer for more than half a Millenia.

Yeah, 2 Red & Bown threads. Whiskey got confused. To much whisky?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Budweiser which does the brewing in Canada and the United States. Didn't mention Europe, don't get there very often.
Anhauser-Busch (?).

If color means anything, I have a jar of Cross & Blackwell's Branston Pickle.
Useful on the rare occassions when there's left over bison to be fine slices for sandwiches.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do the dark beers and ales qualify as brown sauces?

Not in this context. "Brown Sauce" as in this thread is referring to bottled, brown condiment sauces. The kind of thing you'd find on the table in any diner, drive-in, or dive (or pub) What we on this side of the Atlantic call "steak sauce." Hence my continual comparison to A1. It ain't gourmet cooking; it's working man everyday food. Hence the OP asking if you prefer it to red sauce (catsup)

R.G. Barjey

Nov 19, 2010
Somerset
You mean the US Budweiser. Called Bud in Europe
The real Budweiser is the one called Budvar. Or Budweiser ( German 'from Budweis') -as Budweis is the German name for a town in Czech Republic, Ceske Budejovice, where they have been brewing beer for more than half a Millenia.

Yeah, 2 Red & Bown threads. Whiskey got confused. To much whisky?
Ha ha ... if only!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE