Recycling commercial oven parts to build a camp alter fire for scouts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Second mini project of the day.

Next weekend I am taking my scouts on what we are calling a "survival" camp, this will be the first time they will have build shelters to sleep in and throw in some rabbits to skin plus a bit of forraging this will be quite a culture shock for them.
It will be a basic camp as such but the scouts are used to running around their estate and not the countryside.

So while Pinsent campsite in Winchester allows ground fires under certain conditions for safety I like to use alter fires which I normally have to borrow from other groups. I say safety as you have to remember that some of the scouts are not experienced in cooking and working with fires etc.
This year though at work they have scrapped two commercial combination ovens and this gives me a bit of stainless to play with which will allow me to construct four different types of alter fires/BBQ units.
All I need is to borrow a mig for some welding but for now the first stage is a simple project which will enable me to use our own unit for once.

So my first project uses the internal rack system of the oven, using steel tube I have widened the rack enabling me to turn the rack plates 90 degrees to give a larger and more usable cooking area.
The best bit is the rack heights can be altered to give different cooking temperatures or you can use a larger rack which I have from an old commercial fridge to make a single larger area perfect for larger group BBQs.

alter.jpg

The tubing which locks in place with wing bolts enables the width to be adjusted but this also means that it can be almost flat packed to save storage space. The bottom used to have wheels but removing these I have made pegs that slot into the mounts to secure the base for that extra bit of stability.
in the photo this is set up for ground fires but I also have a tray that fits to bring the fire off the ground so it becomes more of a traditional alter fire.

It will be some time until I get to complete all my projects, the next one will include a built in water boiler, plus wait till you see the BBQ/stove I have planned from the oven base lol.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
May be worth tapping up a few commercial catering suppliers especially the secondhand dealers these things may last for years but the rack systems do wear out etc. The two I scrapped were about 16 years old.
If you ask for make this is from a Rational 101 combi-steamer and the big project I have planned is from a 201 the big brother of the other one.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Ok mk2 changed the top rails for more stability and ease of securing.
So with pegs from some cable tray joints job done, plus the packed up photo. May do a mk3 to reduce the size of the stubs but will see how things pack in the car first.

mk2.jpgpacked away.jpg

Last edited:

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
Now I do like that, we use some wire baskets about the same size as a supermarket basket. But Yours folds down and keeps the fire off the floor! I can see me looking for old ovens soon. What a good idea

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
hopefully the old fridge racks don't have any cadmium in them - Cd is a potential poison issue when heated it can transfer from the old rack to food that is in contact with the grill - unfortunately I don't know how to test for the presence of Cd but so long as the racks are stainless steel they are good to use - Cd is not an issue with stainless steel racks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE