Recycled PC Stove Build & Hot Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Whilst Rich has been re-modelling his PC, I've been making a few mods to the fly of this Tsk Force 4

tf4d.jpg

I added a vent at each end,

DSCN6695.jpg

some extra pullouts to the lower sides,
DSCN6696.jpg

and snow valances/ sodcloths all round,
DSCN6691-1.jpg

Rich came over this morning and we looked at siting options for his new stove,
DSCN6698.jpg

Using a kip mat to gauge the available space adjacent the stove, a location just inside the door was decided upon. This seems to be a popular choice for installations such as this,

DSCN6694.jpg

There's still a few bits a pieces to attend to; flue jack to fit, poles to adjust etc., but I'm pleased with the way the tent has turned out and really looking forward to seeing it all complete.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The tent is coming on a treat Ian, thanks for putting the pics up

Really looking forward to given it a go next weekend hopefully

Granite Head

Nomad
Aug 16, 2011
Dublin Mountains
Great work guys - enjoying the progress reports and pics on both projects.

Can I ask how the pullouts will lower the sides of the tent?

Also was the larger vent at the front of the tent before you decided on the position of the stove?

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire

The pullouts will not lower the sides of the tent; if anything they will cause the lower edge to lift a little. Their primary function is to maximise the usable space at the sides of the tent. However, the canopy was originally a fly and did not extend right down to the ground, as you can see in the top pic of the tent. Before the next set-up the A-frame legs will be shortened slightly to lower the canopy.

Also was the larger vent at the front of the tent before you decided on the position of the stove?

Yes. We didn't know how much space the stove would take up in its present position and toyed with locating it in the middle rear of the tent. Either way, a vent at each end is no bad thing. There isn't room to comfortably fit the vent over the door on the centreline so offsetting it to its current position seemed preferable. If it doesn't work out too well there, we can move it easily enough.

Last edited:

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Way to go,,, :) What a fantastic thread I was only thinking this morning about a vango force ten as a winter hot tent then I see this thread and there it is ,,,, :cool:

Good work Gents,

Twodogs

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Way to go,,, :) What a fantastic thread I was only thinking this morning about a vango force ten as a winter hot tent then I see this thread and there it is ,,,, :cool:

Good work Gents,

Twodogs

Thank you, it's coming together nicely. The Task Forces are heavier canvas than F10s but, on the other hand, they're green and can be a bit dark inside.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great work guys - enjoying the progress reports and pics on both projects.

Thanks GH, it's all coming together nicely

The vents front and back are to encourage air to be drawn through the tent, some of it will get sucked into the stove whilst the rest will just get warmed up and circulated. The vents are the same size I think it's just the way the piccy came out.

The idea is to eventually end up with something similar to this ..
[video=youtube;ALmU5geZu3Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALmU5geZu3Y[/video]

(Hope you don't mind Hoop) :)

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TwodogsWay to go,,, :) What a fantastic thread I was only thinking this morning about a vango force ten as a winter hot tent then I see this thread and there it is ,,,, :cool:

Good work Gents,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twodogs
Thank you, it's coming together nicely. The Task Forces are heavier canvas than F10s but, on the other hand, they're green and can be a bit dark inside.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes the heavier canvas is a bonus plus the orenge on a force ten might drive me mad :)

Cracking set up looking forward to seeing it in the cold

Twodogs

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Got round to sorting the legs out tonight.

Bolts from the inside, locking washer and nut on the outside ..
P1010492P.jpg

P1010493P.jpg

Legs slip onto bolt ..
P1010491P.jpg

Wing nuts on next and then tighten ..
P1010486P.jpg

I've done away with the bolts lower down and replaced with a full length steel rod, this lets the stove sit much better and more stable, propped up for photo ..
P1010488P.jpg

Legs off ready to be packed ..
P1010494P.jpg

After the first burn test on Friday night I noticed the original PC paint was now coming off the case, Nitromors didn't touch it before so I just left it. Ten minutes with a 80 grit flap wheel in the drill and I was back to bare metal, I filled in a couple of cracks with high temp silicone and then gave it another spray. It'll get another burn test then it's getting packed for a cold camp this weekend :)

P1010497P.jpg

Oh yeah, I took an inch off the upright tent poles too, managing to snap one of the shockcords inside somehow, try as I might I can't get a new one tied in, ho hum.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE