Recycled PC Stove Build & Hot Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Am I right in guessing its about 8" x 9" x 15", around 17L in volume?

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yup, got a couple of cans in the cupboard from when we bought the chiminea. Test burn first though :)

Yeah - you ptrtty much have to burn off all the existing paint otherwise the stove paint will flake off with it. Looking forward to the next update...I would avoid filling it with coal though....or at least have a video camera handy!

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
So Shewie whats the design advantage of this one over your helsport stove for this tent? is it lighter or did you just want to make one? or just a different design?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Am I right in guessing its about 8" x 9" x 15", around 17L in volume?

It's 8.5" x 8.5" x 18"

Yeah - you ptrtty much have to burn off all the existing paint otherwise the stove paint will flake off with it. Looking forward to the next update...I would avoid filling it with coal though....or at least have a video camera handy!

It'll get the Nitromors treatment I think

NO coal without a base to lift it off the bottom.

No coal, just wood, false floor too :)

How did you cut out the front damper?

With a Dremel

So Shewie whats the design advantage of this one over your helsport stove for this tent? is it lighter or did you just want to make one? or just a different design?

I wanted something which wasn't as tall as the Helsport, less tippy on the toboggan and easier to pack in the canoe. Plus it was just a good excuse to build something :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Duuuude, looks good, though I reckon the door lock would be fiddly when frickin hot.:D

I'm going to add a metal spring coil to the end of the knob, hopefully that'll help when it's hot

I would have thought that to southey but I think they use the exact same set up on the snowtrekker stoves in the US, simple but it must work OK

I've been loosely basing this stove on the Snowtrekker/Kni-co so fingers crossed it'll work okay

Good stuff mate ,,, looking forward to the burn

Twodogs

Cheers Cliff

I like it, I like it a lot :) Good job!

Cheers Col

Fantastic tutorial. :)

Thanks Martin

How heavy is it?

Not sure yet, I'll wait until the legs are on and then I'll weigh it, compared to similar stoves I think it'll come out fairly light, I'll guess around 4kg but I might be way off with that.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've been thinking of making a lightweight enclosed fire box for a while now, I can't afford to buy a commercial one and they all seem really heavy. 4kg would be pretty light compred to others I've seen.

Alot of inspiration there, I'm slightly awed at how quickly you've got on with it!

maybe next year I'll get round to doing one myself.

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
Fascinating, as an IT consultant I'm now eyeing up all the computers around me thinking what I could make from them... not sure my clients would appreciate that though!

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
It's 8.5" x 8.5" x 18"

Cheers.

SFF case I have here, is 7.5" x 7" x 10" (WxHxD) or around 9L... might be a bit too dinky.

It's not steel either, but aluminium so might have to look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Im enjoying following this thread along as i love watching people making things from scrap

When its finished if you want it welding up and your up my way give me a shout and ill weld it up for you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE