Recycled PC Stove Build & Hot Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Top tip: If you ever camp somewhere where burn mark on grass is unwelcome, slip a piece of kingspan underneath stove. I use the 2" foil backed stuff - works well. A bit bulky but light as a feather and will tolerate high temps keeping grass undamaged. I use it whenever setting up bell tent in someone's garden for a 'social'. If you cut it into smaller sections it'll fit inside stove during transit.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Me like ,,,, Looking forward to seeing how you get on

Twodogs

Should be a fun project, all the DIY jobs in the house have suddenly ground to a halt recently though :)

Top tip: If you ever camp somewhere where burn mark on grass is unwelcome, slip a piece of kingspan underneath stove. I use the 2" foil backed stuff - works well. A bit bulky but light as a feather and will tolerate high temps keeping grass undamaged. I use it whenever setting up bell tent in someone's garden for a 'social'. If you cut it into smaller sections it'll fit inside stove during transit.

I've looked at ways of clipping in a foil sheet just under the stove which will work. I did keep an eye on it this weekend and there was hardly any heat at all underneath. It was probably a combination of the frozen ground when I pitched but the false bottom in the stove really helps. I tried to soften some frozen butter underneath but it didn't have any affect, I moved it round to the side and it melted all over my logs :)

Very impressed Rich. I feel inspired.

Sterling effort and what a result.
Nice work ;)

Cheers lads :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah it worked a treat, I had some around the base of the flue exit and it stood up to a weekends constant running. It was even glowing around that area a couple of times :)

Excellent news that - I am pleased - much neater than cement

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A couple of pics of my setup inside, lousy quality sorry

Heavy duty 6x8' pvc groundsheet, corner nearest stove folded over
NATO 5 season CCF pad
Exped Downmat 7DLX
Alpkit Pipedream 600
Ajungilak cotton and nylon base bivvy
Old shortened Multimat for sitting/kneeling on

I didn't bother to pack a rucksack but threw most of my stuff in a Snugpak Kitmonster, makes life a lot easier in a big tent

P1010503P.jpg

P1010504P.jpg

My kitchen box consisted of one of those fold down plastic carry boxes, inside was my kettle and brew kit, MSR Whisperlite and Blacklite pans for backup, various lanterns and lights, BBQ firelighters, cutlery, FAK, leather gloves, knife and axe. I also took 2x 4 pint milk bottles for drinking water as they're easier to handle than my 10L MSR Dromedary in a tent with a hot stove running.

The first night I arrived well after dark and wasn't planning to pitch a new tent blind, but when I got to the site I talked myself into it and I was glad I did. It only took ten minutes to set it up including the stove, it was a dead calm evening but I expect it'll be trickier when it's blowing a hoolie. When I first setup I looked at the flue jack and it looked to be too high, nightmare, but when I got the stove out and set the legs up it lined up perfectly with either the 45* elbow or the straight section of flue, lovely jubbly. I got a firelighter lit and piled up some thin split pine kindling, then put on some thicker stuff and went back to the car for some more kit/junk, coming back and unzipping the tent was like getting off the plane in Mexico, instant heatwave in the face.
I'm glad I talked myself out of a night under the Trailstar, when I woke in the morning I shuffled myself down towards the stove and got it lit again, I laid there for ten minutes and then had to get up to water the plants. Again coming back to the tent after standing outside in my woollies and Crocs was a great feeling. I'm not sure what time the stove went out in the night but I really had it roaring when I went to bed, the stove was glowing on the top and sides and I could get a whiff of the flue jack, I kept having to put my headtorch on to make sure the tent wasn't on fire. It wasn't even singed when I checked in the morning so I'm chuffed about that. The tent was cold first thing and I had some condensation on the inside of my bivvy, only on the nylon waterproof base though, the cotton upper was bone dry, I might have to think about a full cotton bag cover I think.
The second night I switched my bag round and slept with my head nearest the door, I could then literally lean over and put a log in the stove without any effort, the other way round I had to do the caterpillar shuffle until I could reach it. My kitchen box was then behind my head and I could chuck a load of wool layers against it to make a great pillow.

Just need some serious snow and cold nights now.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Looks stunning Rich. I know that feeling so well of wondering if the tent will catch fire. First burn with my Russian stove was a very nervous night. Once the trust is there though its fun to get it roaring :D

Its a great setup mate and its been one of the best threads in ages. Cheers!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks stunning Rich. I know that feeling so well of wondering if the tent will catch fire. First burn with my Russian stove was a very nervous night. Once the trust is there though its fun to get it roaring :D

Its a great setup mate and its been one of the best threads in ages. Cheers!

Cheers Paul, how's the new stove working out?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Cheers Paul, how's the new stove working out?

I used it once and then got mugged and had it taken from me. Some scouser and two dogs made off with it at a motorway service station. They also took some cash but they did leave me a lavvu :D

Cliff was last seen making a spark arrestor for it so he doesnt suffer the issues we had with unplanned additional vents appearing :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used it once and then got mugged and had it taken from me. Some scouser and two dogs made off with it at a motorway service station. They also took some cash but they did leave me a lavvu :D

Cliff was last seen making a spark arrestor for it so he doesnt suffer the issues we had with unplanned additional vents appearing :)

Lol, another lavvu, is that 3 in the last month?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ok so i have a shelter problem:D For some its knives but for me its shelters.

I blame others really, its a bit akin to taking George Best into a bar and asking him if he fancies a pint :beerchug:. AndyBB and Twodogs know this and used it against me :D They are bad men i tell you. I only bought one myself. The other three were criminal acts by the two perps above

In fairness i will be offloading at least 1 lavvu after crimble is out of the way but hopefully two. I want to have a play with the golite and the seek outside before choosing my Estonia Rig

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE