Recovering after exercise !!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
When i was on the Dartmmor meet we did a walk , it wasnt that long but was further than i had walked for a while .
Today i did a kick boxing grading (which i passed) .
I know my fitness is pants (10 years of drug abuse will do that to you ) but after pushing myself that extra bit , i end up in a bit of a mess . I suffer from really bad head aches and struggle to eat and keep it down (although i do manage a lot of water ) .
My question is what can i do to recover from this , as i end up really pale and utterly wiped out ?
Am i doing something wrong ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Some of the people I work with are recovering addicts and alcoholics. I have seen several of them in a similar condition to the one you've experienced. One of them told me that it's the electrolyte balance that's out of synch. He says that to get everything to settle down he needs to drink bovril and then something like Lucozade. He can't drink it quickly, he just sips a mugful of one and then the other until his tummy settles down and lets him eat again. I suppose it's a bit like those isotonic drinks that runners use.
Don't know if it'll help someone who's as together as you are, but it might be worth a shot.
ATB,
Toddy

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
pumbaa said:
When i was on the Dartmmor meet we did a walk , it wasnt that long but was further than i had walked for a while .
Today i did a kick boxing grading (which i passed) .
I know my fitness is pants (10 years of drug abuse will do that to you ) but after pushing myself that extra bit , i end up in a bit of a mess . I suffer from really bad head aches and struggle to eat and keep it down (although i do manage a lot of water ) .
My question is what can i do to recover from this , as i end up really pale and utterly wiped out ?
Am i doing something wrong ?
Cheers
Pumbaa
I've a friend who (from what I can tell) is in a similar situation to you. He takes Glutamine (sold as a bodybuilding recovery supplement) to help him, and swears by it. Could be worth a look :)

hi there,ive have done fitness training now for many years.
my advice is maybe you need to gear yourself through your training,maybe your pushing yourself to hard,,the body only grows or recovers when you rest.
i have lifted heavy weights and have experienced head rushes and felt sick,this can be quiet common when a person exerts themselves.
you could look into some sort of supplements,but there are many available,many are costly and are usually rubbish.The supplement will depend on what you want,i use creatine which athletes use these days to help them recover quicker,and this also helps you acheive higher training rates.
if you are worried that much about it visit your gp get a medical done,then maybe seek advice at a local gym,hope this helps a bit...

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
arctic hobo said:
I've a friend who (from what I can tell) is in a similar situation to you. He takes Glutamine (sold as a bodybuilding recovery supplement) to help him, and swears by it. Could be worth a look :)

cant agree with this, a balanced diet and good exercise routine will be all you need pumbaa, mate, things wont happen over night.
take it slow.. and it will happen, too much too fast and you'll likely hurt yourself!

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
I'd say take it easy and consider how you are pacing yourself. Certainly a check up from a trustworthy (non-judgmental) GP might be useful.

If you are off yomping all day, a drawn out test of your physical abilities, then subject yourself to a lengthy cardio workout with the pressure of success or failure... well... you are going to feel a bit knackerd :) which is cool.

Are you drinking enough, both before and during the exercise? Most people load up after a work out, but the other times are important too.

But in any case, the pain and fuzzy head is a small price to pay for completing your trip. And smaller still for getting your grade. :You_Rock_

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
tomtom said:
cant agree with this, a balanced diet and good exercise routine will be all you need pumbaa, mate, things wont happen over night.
take it slow.. and it will happen, too much too fast and you'll likely hurt yourself!
Glutamine is a perfectly natural protein occuring in many foods, including (off the top of my head, there are probably many more) beans, meat, fish and milk.
It's used a lot in the immune system and levels of glutamine are very sorely depleted in heavy exercise. Taking a little extra (could be just by eating foods with plenty in it) helps bring them back to normal as quick as they would if your body was in tip top condition :)

Edit: this sums it up nicely :)
"Research shows that after intensely working out, glutamine levels in the body are reduced by as much as 50%. Since the body relies on glutamine as cellular fuel for the immune system, scientific studies have shown that glutamine supplementation can minimize the breakdown of muscle tissue and improve protein metabolism. Its effects on replenishing the body after stress or trauma have been shown in Europe where it is commonly given to patients in hospitals."

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
hiya mate. i know nothing on this score but am assuming that you have recently ditched the drugs. either way i ( imho ) would suggest that you are pushing yourself too hard . you are already proving yourself by quitting and you should do a little, often and build up to your fitness expectations. either way you are winning and should be rightly proud also your a brave person to admit your past faults and even braver to do something about it.

best of luck to you and wishing you every success :You_Rock_

tom

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I think the problem is that i was in jnr para . I know what it feels like to be fit and get that buzz after really exerting myself !
Now at 31 with my shaddy past i feel the need to get fit and feel the buzz again . The phrase "adrenaline junkie " springs to mind , as well as a bit of denial that i am not getting oldder !!!
There was one of the guys going for his brown belt that ended up being sick from pure exertion !!! With kickboxing a lot of it is about how hard you push yourself , and i was told by the instructor that i would have got a credit or distinction if my fitness was better . So i know this is what let me down .
I enjoy being pushed hard and wouldnt have missed it for the world , but when i leave the hall i have things i need to do like lookin after the wife and kids . Feeling that ruff doesnt help , all i want to do is get my head down and sleep it off !!
I ate a bag of beef jerky for breakfast and that definately increased the time i could give it my all .
I am going to step the classes up to 3 nights a week as it has become clear to me that i need to push the fitness . I cant run ,never could , so i am thinking of tabbing to increase fitness and endurance . I just cant deal with the muzzy head !!!
Cheers for your advice and support :thanks:
Pumbaa

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi Pumbaa.........Don't know if its your cup of tea, but circuit training is a really fast way of getting fit and you can go at it at whatever pace you want to, though like anything, the more you put in, the more you get out of it. Not sure if its right for you, just a suggestion for getting your fitness up.................Jon

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
A lot of people are talking about after exercise recovery but are you eating properly before?

When I was into serious martial art training it was heavy on the pasta to give a better energy release. Beef jerky is not going to do that

Take it slow and steady with the stamina. It will come.
Kick boxing was more about the explosive bursts
Do you supplement it with any other style ie Tai Chi? That helped me. Running through forms was a good way to build stamina. You could do them slow for strength or fast for stamina

I could never run either

Anyone know if that lot made sense?

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
In my forces daze, I used to end up yomping about with the Paras and Marines and I was in the RAF!! so I know where you are coming from. I am in my mid thirties and can still tab up hills under load, a little slower to say the least but its still there mentally.

For fitness I generally go running every other day and I am not a good runner either. So over time I kept the distance short and did hill sprinting. This builds the fitness very quickly by expanding the lungs etc. But I would not reccomend this unless you have been very active and your legs can take it (injury time).

If I cannot get out due to bad weather or are not feeling up to it, then I use the skipping rope. I skip for 20 mins. This is broken down by skipping fifty skip blocks and then resting for 15 seconds and then carrying on (another 50, then rest etc) until the 20 mins is up. Obviously you can make this less or more depending on how you feel.

The next exercise I perform, is stair running. I simply start of on either the left or right foot and then sprint to the top of the stairs and back down (coming down is the hard bit) again. If you started with the left or right, then swap which foot you started with. I do this ten times (up and down counts as one) and then have a thirty second rest and do another set.

After this it really starts to burn. If that is not enough then I perform about 100-200 Hindu squats (Matt Furey style, just pop his name into google), feet apart, arms out to the front, as you squat right down (squat on your toes) bring your arms down to the ground and sweep them up to the start position as you come back up again. After this little workout the lungs should be going some and you should have a good sweat built up, do not push to hard too early.

Remember to sip water frequently and breath deeply during each rep of exercise. When finished warm down and take things easy.

Eventually when you get fitter you could try some of Matt Fureys more painful stuff or even go down the P90X route (Tony Horton).

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
This might sound daft, but you haven't got a neck injury have you?

I have an iffy neck due to a couple of swollen spots on the ends of the bits that stick out the sides of my cervical vertabrae. Occassionally these play up, especially if I spend too long in bed or with my neck at a dodgy angle. Simply sitting at my computer or in front of the IQ reducer would do it too, and long car journeys or bike rides are murder. Basically the results are a migraine type headache with bad nausea. The only cure i have once it occurs is to drink loads, try to force down some food (very hard to do) and pop a couple of Solpadeine Max before trying to sleep it off for a couple of hours. It can really ruin a weekend.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Not a lot actually , but mainly junk food !
Mind you we used to get nothing but chips served up in the army and i never felt this bad !!
Pumbaa

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
complex carbs- porridge bannas (normal ammounts dont 'carbo load') etc before you excercise plus plenty of fluids,then loads of fluid afterwards.ditch or cut back on the junk food

I dont mean sound dead macho(ive got trouble fighting sleep) ,but if the headaches and sick feeling dont last after excercise isnt that part of martial arts?If they do last get to your gp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE