Recommended UK/European custom knife makers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Hi,
Seeing as I’m having a bit of trouble finding this 12-16” 3V blade, are there any standout UK/Euro knifemakers you guys can recommend? Ones with plenty of fans attesting to their heat treatment and finish quality, a bit like Carothers?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Reactions: Erbswurst

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Even in the US Carothers is pretty special.

I can't think of anyone in the UK like him, nor anyone in the UK who works CPM3V with a tuned treatment, in the size that you are talking about. Nathan charged about $550 for his 12" chopper. I wouldn't expect you to get change from £600 for the knife you describe from a UK maker with similar standing.

Guy Stainthorp

Stu Mitchel

Ben Orford

Alan Wood - no website

There are lots of makers...but you often do not hear about them. Maybe Edge Matters would be a good place to ask too.

Part of the problem here is availability of that steel. Its got to be imported from the US, while things by Sandvik, Bohler and Damasteel are imported from Europe and more readily available.

Reactions: gra_farmer

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Michal Sisovsky of KnivesbyMS

His knives are amazing, relatively new to the line up of makers, but the Steel choice and price is incredible. I have 2 of his knives, and they are wonderful users.

I fact I have written a review, that I need to post.....but life has gotten complicated recently.

The other custom maker Kiril Mitrashkov from Wolven path forge

I have written a review here.

Contact both, and mention Graham from BCUK recommended you, both would look after you and make what you want.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Guy Stainthorp makes a good knife (generally known as a Guycep they are knives of lore) and is happy to work in 3V. He’s also one of the nicest blokes you could hope to meet or have dealings with.

Edit: Chris beat me to it, so a second recommendation for Guys work. :)

I thoroughly recommend Stu Mitchell too, both these two makers have been around for long enough to really know their stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: gra_farmer

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
In the UK as far as I know, Guy Sainthorpe, BROC Knives and Shing is working with 3V. I am sure you can find others working with it as well. Guy and Shing have liquid nitrogen capability if you want best possible heat treatment.

In the Europe there is Dulo Knives. Works with 3V frequently and his prices are much lower than the UK market. He also has a liquid nitrogen capability, but waiting times are quire long. I have been waiting for mine 6 months now...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hi,
Seeing as I’m having a bit of trouble finding this 12-16” 3V blade, are there any standout UK/Euro knifemakers you guys can recommend? Ones with plenty of fans attesting to their heat treatment and finish quality, a bit like Carothers?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Hi,
Just for some clarification.
12-16" blade, do you mean just the blade, or do you mean the whole knife? I know you say blade, but in your earlier thread you thought you were talking about a really tough, slightly larger knife, with a blade of 6 to 10inches and an overall length of 11 to 15 inches. Those dimensions are pretty normal size knives.

If you mean what it sounds like in the post here, that the blade needs be 12 to 16 inches, that means overall length is 17-21 inches, and that is barely still a "knife" and more of a short sword or parang.

The other question is to expand on your UK/Euro specification. Billy-O shows a US maker, and Michal Sisovsky has his blades made in the US. Was the intent to avoid added Duty and VAT? In the time frame we are talking, it may not make much difference whether a maker is in the EU vs the US :(

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Chris is right, need to be quick.

I would go for the bark river canadian camp 2

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Cheers everyone, it’s much appreciated. I’ve contacted Dulo and a couple of the others mentioned, and checked every website linked. I’m closing in on this knife!

@C_Claycomb just to clarify, a knife about 15” overall would be great, so normally a 10” blade or so. Style-wise, I want it 5-6mm thick, and looking similar to a Medford Bonfire or a Bark River Bravo 2.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Thanks for the help everyone. I bought the Fehrman Final Judgement from @xellos99 yesterday. It looks perfect for what I want.

Really well heat-treated 3V, over 6mm thick at the spine, and 15” long overall.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE