Uk custom knife makers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamaDaz

Mar 30, 2022
South Gloucestershire
Hi all,

Anyone know if there are any Uk based knife makers offering bushcraft style knives with convex grinds?

I’m finding it hard to find options other than bark river and fallkniven

DamaDaz

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Origin Knives. Kev (Origin Knives) makes most (if not all) of his knives convex. He probably has the most practice in convex knife making. He also has a couple of bushcraft models but they are far from being woodlore clones.

Guy Stainhorpe might make you a convex grind if you ask him nicely :)

To be honest any maker who is not sticking to only scandi grind should be able to make you a convex grind bushcraft knife.

What would be the deciding factor for you would be which steel you want it to be, how much you are going to pay for it and how long are you willing to wait for it.

DamaDaz

Mar 30, 2022
South Gloucestershire
Origin Knives. Kev (Origin Knives) makes most (if not all) of his knives convex. He probably has the most practice in convex knife making. He also has a couple of bushcraft models but they are far from being woodlore clones.

Guy Stainhorpe might make you a convex grind if you ask him nicely :)

To be honest any maker who is not sticking to only scandi grind should be able to make you a convex grind bushcraft knife.

What would be the deciding factor for you would be which steel you want it to be, how much you are going to pay for it and how long are you willing to wait for it.
Many thanks. Good idea regarding Stuart Mitchell. I am aware of his work and will give him a try.

Origin knives are new to me though so will look into that also.

Thank you

Reactions: Murat_Cyp

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
You could try Shing if you don’t want to pay Stuart’s prices but get a equally good knife.
Have a look on Edge Matters forum there are tons of makers on there!

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Another recommendation here for Guy Stainthorp, really good guy to work with if you have a bespoke design in mind. Alan Wood is worth a try too.

Out of interest, what steel you thinking of?

DamaDaz

Mar 30, 2022
South Gloucestershire
Another recommendation here for Guy Stainthorp, really good guy to work with if you have a bespoke design in mind. Alan Wood is worth a try too.

Out of interest, what steel you thinking of?
Yes I own Alan wood knives and I have heard very good things about guy too.

With regards steel, I was thinking of something like rwl34 stainless

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Very nice, AEB-L is worth a look too and I think Alan has some stock of it too. You won’t be disappointed with a Stainthorp, I’ve two of his blades and can’t fault them.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
If you are determined about RWL 34 ask if the maker has Cryogenic treatment capability. It makes a huge difference in that steel. Stainhorpe and Origin Knives are certainly using Cryo.

Personally I would not buy a bushcraft knife in RWL 34 if I was after a scandi grind, but convex is different. In my opinion, PM Stainless steels (apart from the new MagnaCut) does not have enough toughness to withstand relatively hard use in zero ground scandi knives unless the primary bevel is too obtuse like 14-15 dps or if there is a microbevel which is not really a bad thing depending what you consider as a microbevel.

Are you experienced at convex sharpening? It usually requires more metal removal than a full flat knife with secondary bevel and removing metal from RWL 34 is not as easy as some other steels like O1 or AEBL.

Last edited:

DamaDaz

Mar 30, 2022
South Gloucestershire
If you are determined about RWL 34 ask if the maker has Cryogenic treatment capability. It makes a huge difference in that steel. Stainhorpe and Origin Knives are certainly using Cryo.

Personally I would not buy a bushcraft knife in RWL 34 if I was after a scandi grind, but convex is different. In my opinion, PM Stainless steels (apart from the new MagnaCut) does not have enough toughness to withstand relatively hard use in zero ground scandi knives unless the primary bevel is too obtuse like 14-15 dps or if there is a microbevel which is not really a bad thing depending what you consider as a microbevel.

Are you experienced at convex sharpening? It usually requires more metal removal than a full flat knife with secondary bevel and removing metal from RWL 34 is not as easy as some other steels like O1 or AEBL.
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. In answer to your question, no I’m not experienced with convex sharpening. It’s one of the reasons I have had a change of heart

Funnily enough, I have been re thinking my requirements over the last 24hrs and have gone full circle!

I have decided to stick with scandi and even decided to go 01 took steel!

As a result, I am now in the marked for a new/unused, premium/high end Woodlore style knife.

DamaDaz

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. In answer to your question, no I’m not experienced with convex sharpening. It’s one of the reasons I have had a change of heart

Funnily enough, I have been re thinking my requirements over the last 24hrs and have gone full circle!

I have decided to stick with scandi and even decided to go 01 took steel!

As a result, I am now in the marked for a new/unused, premium/high end Woodlore style knife.

DamaDaz
you will find many will be able to make you that knife. I would strongly suggest you AEBL over O1. It is superior to O1 in every way.

Alan Wood is the original maker of the woodlore. Sandy (i.e. Jacklore Knives) and StoneyPath make as good or even arguably better fit and finished clones of woodlore. Ben Orford also makes nice knives but I think he is not making the exact copy of the woodlore (which is admirable).

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
@DamaDaz If you can find a second hand Sypderco Bushcrafter they are great as well. Much cheaper than customs but not lacking in anything. I recently got a perfect unused example at 1/3 of a high end custom knife and it looks great, feels perfect at hand and hair popping sharp after hour of carving. You will not get dissapointed apart from the sheath. Sheath works great, but it is so ugly. Getting an aftermarket sheath is not a big deal, you can get a good custom one around £40.

DamaDaz

Mar 30, 2022
South Gloucestershire
you will find many will be able to make you that knife. I would strongly suggest you AEBL over O1. It is superior to O1 in every way.

Alan Wood is the original maker of the woodlore. Sandy (i.e. Jacklore Knives) and StoneyPath make as good or even arguably better fit and finished clones of woodlore. Ben Orford also makes nice knives but I think he is not making the exact copy of the woodlore (which is admirable).
Thanks for the tip. I have an Alan wood knife and it’s beautiful! Never heard of stoney path before but I have just checked him out and his knives look amazing!

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk

Pointless recommending a Jacklore knife..Sandy doesnt do orders and getting one another way is the impossible dream.
The Adventure Sworn Classic is available and virtually identical to the woodlore, just bear in mind you have to add around £100+ for carriage and british customs duties.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
@Coach

No, it is not impossible. On more than one occasion I saw an available knife on his website. I am not 100 % sure, but I think if you mail him, he put you on the list, so you will become the first to know if a knife becomes available. I do not think it is impossible to get a knife from him.

Yes, it is more challenging to get one compared to grabbing an off-the-shelf knife. But it is the OP's decision to decide if it's worth the effort. I would do the same recommendation again if anyone asks the same question in the future.

I do not think you are contributing to the solution of the OP's problem by bashing your fellow forum members for trying to be helpful.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
@Coach

No, it is not impossible. On more than one occasion I saw an available knife on his website. I am not 100 % sure, but I think if you mail him, he put you on the list, so you will become the first to know if a knife becomes available. I do not think it is impossible to get a knife from him.

Yes, it is more challenging to get one compared to grabbing an off-the-shelf knife. But it is the OP's decision to decide if it's worth the effort. I would do the same recommendation again if anyone asks the same question in the future.

I do not think you are contributing to the solution of the OP's problem by bashing your fellow forum members for trying to be helpful.
No youre not 100% sure!! But I am. I'll repeat it - Sandy doesn't take orders and doesn't have a 'list', it's100% pure luck to get the chance to buy one. And if you know how to mail him please let the rest of us in on the secret.
Who am I bashing??? I simply offered the opinion that a jacklore knife isnt a viable option - Ive been checking his web page for as long as I can remember and Never seen a knife for sale - try it now if you want to .
I did however 'trying to be helpful' offer a viable available alternative at a cost maybe but not much more than a jacklore which also sells at £300 to £350 depending on materials etc. And you wont get a Ben Orford for much less than £300 either, I have one on order from him right now which is closer to £600.
And how about a SWC Bushcraft? Dartmoor Knife have a couple available at reasonable prices right now.

Last edited:

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
You might find something here

Nomad Knifeworks. ( no connection to seller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE