Recommendations for a knife for the field

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The original post likely defines two or three knives. Whacking with a 100mm knife is the definition of frustration.

Lapps carry two or three knives, that is after several centuries of testing. Modern military environment mostly differs from Lapland so copying them might not work perfectly.

My own experience is a large and a smaller knife; knife, hatchet and folding saw covers just about anything, assuming your job requires them in the first place.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Yeah, I thought that T5 would appeal. ;)

I haven’t owned or used a Niolox blade. From what I gather it has excellent edge retention and is fairly easy to sharpen. Lion Steel use good steels, the Vanadis 23 that as used for the Rasul was crazy tough, I saw one of those torture vids where it was beaten into a breeze block and batoned through an M10 nut without more than a tiny ding in the blade. I’d fully trust anything Lion Steel make to be of the highest quality.
I have that Rasul and can vouch that if I had to choose at quick notice, it would be that blade....

As for the T5, I have that and enjoy it, the steel is good and holds an edge for a long time, but the M5 is better in the hand for my tastes...

Reactions: tNostalgia
Feb 17, 2007
Scotland
Decent pocket knife or multi tool will be perfect for the reserves … whilst in the TA in the late 80s early 90s it was all Swiss Army knives or similar until leathermans started to gain some traction in the market .. never once did we need anything else. Occasionally new joiners would turn up with a sheath knife on their webbing - but only once as it was explained to them that they were more likely to hurt themselves than have any need for it ..

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I was in an Infantry regiment for 4 years and never needed a fixed blade knife. Would stick with a folder to be honest. Benchmade make some good folding (locking) knives.

Then again, I’d agree with the folks above that you probably don’t want something too expensive. Lest someone see some shiny buckshee kit sitting around and fancy it for themselves, or if you end up getting bumped in a harbour area and you lose it in a pile of leaves somewhere on SPTA.

If you’re not on Ops, you do not need a knife that can be used as a weapon. And to be honest if you are on Ops and have somehow lost your rifle and your sword, you have bigger problems.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
As a ex forward observer with operational experience. I used a gerber suspension multi tool. I had no need for a fixed blade and it would have just been extra weight.

I had a fixed blade but it was kept stashed in my Bergen and tbh rarely used. I get what you mean about weight, foot soldiers have enough to carry! Although I was lucky, my equipment carried me.

Reactions: SoldierPalmer

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
To add my 2p worth of knowledge. I unfortunately don’t have the same experience as Soldier Palmer! But over the last two years, I have had a fair bit of (dirt time) I believe is one of the names for being out in the field. A multitool of some of some description is probably one of the most useful tools to be able to cover a variety of tasks. I always carry my Victorinox Fieldmaster on my person and my Leatherman surge either in my Haversack or Bergen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE