Recommend me a water filter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
IMAG0078.jpg

it does fit straight on to a pop bottle 650ml and 2ltr
and of course the source hydration gear as well as been used inline on a bladder.
Wouldn't be my choice.

The first time I came across one of those was in the Borneo jungle.
When we got back to civilisation we looked up the specs.. it basically filters out anything too big to fit through the straw !

OK, maybe a bit of an exageration, but the manufacturers only says "The Aquamira porous plastic microfilter removes 99.9% of Cryptosporidium, Giardia". No mention of any other pathogens..

Unfortunately, cysts like Giardia are among the bigger nasties in the water (10-15 micrometers).. the smaller stuff like bacteria (0.5-2 micrometers) and viruses (0.03-0.1 micrometers) will sail through.

specs from here

bug sizes from here

For the record I use a Pre-mac MWP

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The filter is for further afield mate. When i eventually manage it. Like the suggested canoe trip
but Yiu'd have valid points about the potential for leached heavy metals

As a flexible system for one person, I reckon the Aquaguard Eliminator on a Source 3l widemouth bladder takes some beating. I've been through nearly every transparent bladder manufacturer now and so far, the Source has been by far the best of the lot.

No leaks so far which is always a pain in the rear when it gets loaded into a pack with kit that needs to stay dry.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
This is turning into a nightmare...who would have thought that bushcrafters could have such different views on a piece of kit:rolleyes:.

Personally, I don't know enough about the nasties that water can carry, so look for external agencies to endorse a product before I part with my cash...that is why I use the Aquapure Traveler bottle...

The Aquapure Traveller is a personal water purifier capable of quickly turning up to 350 litres of potentially contaminated water into clear, clean and safe drinking water. From unregulated water in Nottingham to a mountain stream in Nepal, the Aquapure Traveller is all you’ll need to get your drinking water.The disinfection media is based on Electroadhesion that removes even the smallest viruses, as shown by independent testing. Made from the highest quality materials and built to the strictest quality control procedures, the Aquapure Traveller is designed to provide you with purified water again and again wherever you are.

THE AQUAPURE TRAVELLER removes:
Viruses & BacteriaPathogens (including Cryptosporidium & Giardia)Bad tastes & odoursChemicals (including VOCs, SOCs)
Heavy metals
Faecal matter

Why the Aquapure Traveller?The Aquapure Traveller is the only filter bottle fully endorsed by the Hospital of Tropical Diseases London. Pure Hydration are an official partner of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office’s ‘Know before you go’ campaign and their technology is approved for use by the UK MOD.

TAMARACK RECOMMENDED
So, it's approved by the Hospital of Tropical Diseases and for MOD use...good enough for me then!

Simon

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
The lifesaver is probably the best all round filter on the market. but it's normal cost of around £100 and the size and weight means it takes up a lot of room and is heavy. I know it filters out everything though the military (marines and army) have both tested it even with urine (do not ask) and it has been verified that it works to produce drinkable water (although not recommended even by manufacturer). If you can get one for £38 that would be great.

The aquamira frontier pro is a great general filter, it has a carbon filter and if used with it bamboo filters is a good, lightweight and small option and is a lot better than a survival straw, it fits to many different systems and if you purchase the source water straw (link: http://www.thegorgeoutdoors.co.uk/product/740-90/Source-Convertube or http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Source-Convertube ) can be linked into most water bottles from normal pop bottles through to siggs/ nalgene bottles and dromedary or ortlieb water bags. the advantage is cost and weight and size and versatility. I also have a pwp water filter that conects onto an issue water bottle but they are hard to get hold of now a days and that can be used in a nuclear or chemical environment, if you want anything that serious then you have to look to the military market and possibly back to the lifesaver (it is the model that was being given out when I was in afghan and I some how managed to loose mine on tour but it found its way into my kit when I got home ( no it is not for sale :) )

With all systems of water filters and purifiers, the source of the water and how badly contaminated must be taken into account, if you have a fast flowing mountain stream near its source you may well be better than a foul peat bog marsh stagnant pool in sheep country. you must take this into account and the likely areas you are going to try and use it, but you can always, if necessary, boil the water ( and set up a distillation process) to be sure as that is the only 100% way of guaranteeing clean water, although most of us get it to a rolling boil for 30 secs-2 minutes to produce safe drinking water :)

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs

That's the same filter that is used in the traveller Sam.
I have the traveller bottle and am very impressed with it.
I contacted pure hydration direct, and they sell the bag for £20 without the filter, so for around £60 you could have a portable filter for on the move and then when you get to camp put the filter in the bag and have a larger amount of water on hand.
It's something that is quite appealing to me tbh!!
But I have now just bought a 3 litre source bladder so am on the look out for an inline filter for it.
I managed to pick up an pure hydration bottle and spare brand new filter for £30 on the bay.

Bare thrills also has the bag filter you linked to so may be able to offer some more details about it.
Cheers
Steve

That's the same filter that is used in the traveller Sam.
I have the traveller bottle and am very impressed with it.
I contacted pure hydration direct, and they sell the bag for £20 without the filter, so for around £60 you could have a portable filter for on the move and then when you get to camp put the filter in the bag and have a larger amount of water on hand.
It's something that is quite appealing to me tbh!!
Cheers Steve not bad idea getting bag and bottle with only one filter.......hmmmmmmmm

Here's a video review of it. He's a really genuine chap.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWVqRtdLJ8
He review two filter product. He's very honest and tells you if the products is good on not.
Enjoy. :)
Thanks for the link but i dont use you tube-only run a dongle for internet access and you tube etc eats my data ever so quick :(

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Cheers Steve not bad idea getting bag and bottle with only one filter.......hmmmmmmmm

Thanks for the link but i dont use you tube-only run a dongle for internet access and you tube etc eats my data ever so quick :(

Fair enough. Its ten mins long so that would probably cost you about £50. lol

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
ive got the MSR miniworks, used it loads in hill lochs and running water and never been ill, also screws onto a nalgene bottle (not cheapy karrimor clone tho) andyou can be alot more vigorous with the pumping action without it spilling, also can clean it in the field I use a cut down toothbrush a lot less abrasive than the supplied scourer, also use a coffee filter on the end to act as a pre-filter and get out the larger sediment

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lots of options to chose from Sam, I'll throw a couple more in the pot.

For static camps with water to hand I use a DrinkSafe Supalite bag, the flow is very slow but it's handy having the large capacity. It looks like their prices have doubled since I bought mine though.

For on the trail when I want something faster I use a MSR Hyperflow which kicks out 3L a minute. Fits the Dromedary bags and the wide neck Nalgenes with the adapter included. Spendy though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE