Recommend me a water filter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Last (honest) thing i feel i need for my pledge
i need a decent but not expensive water filter, compatible with either the 58 pat water bottle, the guyot stainless steel bottleand or a MSR dromedary.
i know i have the bill bank bag for filtering large amounts prior to boiling but if i am on the move i might not have the time to stop, build a fire and bring to a boil.
ideally i do not want to spend a vast amount of cash, i have seen on Ebay a few filters for around 20/30 quid (made in hong kong or china) but i dont know enough about qhich i squality andwhich is going to involve all sorts of unpleasentness
So recommendations please folk?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
IMAG0078.jpg

straw mode
Told a lie it fits the ortbeib bag not the MSR.
IMAG0077.jpg

it does fit straight on to a pop bottle 650ml and 2ltr
and of course the source hydration gear as well as been used inline on a bladder.

greensurfingbear

I use one of the MSR ceramic filters....not dead yet or sick so must be OK. They suggest iodine in the water before filtering if you have any concerns but here in the UK and in in Canada its been fine. I only carry a litre of water at a time now and just fill up the NATO water bottle, nalgene or camel pack as and when.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Pre Mac don't sell to the public last time I checked.

I have a MSR lightweight pump filter but I havn't really used it properly yet, when I tested it was awkward, however it is very well made.
I prefer the drink-safe explorer canteen as it's much lighter than the life-saver version.
I hear the sawyer filters are the best, though!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Seems survivalaids.com and the link above (think they are the same company though) both stock the pre-mac filters for purchase by the general public... :confused:

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I have an aquaguard eliminator which i team up with a source convertube,hasn't killed me yet or made me ill,its lightweight and packs down small

tip tap tapping away

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
My Premac came from Go outdoors and they still have the replacement filters.
Available to the public still.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Looking at your system and what you want to do with it, ie. purifying the little lake water and using your bladder, I'd go with the Aquaguard Eliminator. Roughly the same design as the Aquamira but lasts much longer as it'll filter much more water. The quick release clips mean that it can easily be detached at night if a frost is due (ice kills purifiers)

With the right size pipe, It would push fit onto the exit nozzle of your bladder and turn it into a gravity feed purifier.

As long as you don't use it for instant purified water and collect the purified water in another container (Kettle, DO etc), it'll provide all the water you want and you won't have to wait for it.

My biggest concern for where you are taking the water from is leached chemicals and heavy metals which makes a charcoal based filter system make sense.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE