Recommend a turbo lighter please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
I've got one of the Turboflame lighters.

Cheap as chips; less than a tenner, widely available.

Works ok most of the time but I've found it can be a bit 'tempremental'.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I like my Z-plus insert that I can stick in any of my Zippo's. It been perfectly reliably for over a year now.

Amazon Link <---- there's a link to the thing I mean on Amazon (no connection etc)

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I've got the Silva, can't recommend it - stupidly temperamental, complete waste of money.

The tin it came in was handy for my tinder though :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I like my Z-plus insert that I can stick in any of my Zippo's. It been perfectly reliably for over a year now.

Amazon Link <---- there's a link to the thing I mean on Amazon (no connection etc)

That looks really good. Only trouble with it is I'd need to get the zippo lighter first

I've got the Silva, can't recommend it - stupidly temperamental, complete waste of money.

The tin it came in was handy for my tinder though :)

Same here:(, biggest waste of £16 that was.

:lmao::lmao: Thanks guys, that's the Silva out of the running. It's reviews like that which really help :D

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I got a turboflame from Cotswolds too,with the two jets.
Been working great for a while now.

Can't remember the names of the other couple i've had that were useless.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Sooner or later the filament burns out on all of them.

It's not a wire filament in the Z-plus inserts

P1010168.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've tried a few Steve but never found a good one. I'd also like to hear of a good reliable one.

I tend to stick to a Clipper or my Zippo if I can be bothered refilling it all the time.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
It's not a wire filament in the Z-plus inserts

P1010168.jpg

Thanks Stuart, I may have to try that one then.
The wire filament ones are useless in short periods of time IMO. I smoke rollies that regularly need relighting and none of them has lasted more than a month in regular use.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I'd recommend you buy 50 clippers for the same money.

I'll second that! Or any other mechanical lighter just as well.

I have reservations regarding electronic lighters, as they are useless in a wet or prolonged humid environment.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'd recommend you buy 50 clippers for the same money.

I dunno if they all do, but mine has dies recently. OK while it lasted, but a limited life it would seem.

I've had loads of lighters and although the tank is a bit small, I keep going back to my windmill. I've had it 8 years now and it just keeps doing what it does.

Windmill%20Classic%20Stormproof%20Lighter%2002.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I can't guarentee that it'll work on all models, but I have had some success in rejuvinating dead turbo-flames but blowing hard down the flame hole to dislodge any accumilated debris. Hold it close to your mouth and direct a forcefull blast (No spitting - but a similar action) down the hole. It has worked on three of my lighters, two of which must be nearly ten years old. Another gem with these is to ensure the fuel tank is emptied every so often and air can be compressed along with the gas fuel which of course won't burn! Empty the tank by pushing a ball point pen onto the filling port until all gas is expelled, then refill the tank in the normal manner.

ATB

Ogri the trog

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've had a few over the years of various makes and models, but they all die rather too quickly for me to buy another one.

These days I just dip into the bag of confiscated smoking material that I have in my office and take a slack handful of clippers and poundland specials...:lmao:

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE