Recommend a turbo lighter please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
This thread has surfaced again!

Just to note that my DealExtreme 'turbo' lighter is still doing well although I did once have to blow the dust out of it as has been mentioned here earlier. No amount of blowing (TinkyPete even tried sucking:)) would get my second genuine Turboflame to work, but I have to say my third is still working, at least when it's warm (pause to check that's still true....yes it is) and somewhat to my surprise.

Next time I order from DealExtreme I'll get a few more. :)

Incidentally I mended the tongs we use for the wood burning stove using the wife's kitchen blowtorch thing last night. It's like a Turboflame lighter on steroids. Worked a treat! Don't tell her. :yikes:

Not long after I wrote this my third Turboflame died. I've given up on them completely now.

My DX lighter is still going strong. This one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My trusty TRUE lighter has been with me for over 10 years and is the only lighter that lights first time, every time. Its outlived all others.

That is, until last friday when I put the lighter back in the door pocket of my van and drove off after smoking a ciggy.

I felt something warm against my arm as I was driving. I looked down;

The door pocket was on fire!

The lighter had jammed with the valve open and I hadn't noticed as it has a perfect tiny blue flame. This had set fire to a tissue, and then to the plastic pocket.

I can't recommend TRUE lighters either.:rolleyes:

Far_Wanderer

Oct 29, 2009
Lancashire, England
Hi I have both the Primus power lighter and the silverpoint jet flame. I bought both from Tamarack. The Primus I have had for about 18 months now and haven't really had a problem with it other than having to pre-warm it when the temp dropped to about -15 degrees and having to empty the gas to purge it every couple of fill ups. The silverpoint is a relatively new buy at only a couple of months but so far after regular use it is holding up strong.

The main reason I go back to tamarack is the level of service is unparalleled as far as I'm concerned. The whole team is helpful and if there are ever any problems they do there best to sort the problem as fast as they can.

No affiliation just a satisfied customer

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Another thumbs down for the turboflame. Mine had a dodgy trigger so wouldn't feed gas consistantly so rarely ever lit.

Thumbs up for Wenger though. I got mine cheap though and would never have paid full price. Probably worth the money as it's great quality with a decent pouch though.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I got a Soto lighter in Hereford two weeks back and so far it's working very well, a bit dear ar £20 but it's made in Japan so the qualities good. It's the sort that pulls apart to take a disposable lighter as a fuel tank.

http://www.sotooutdoors.com/products/item/PT-14SB.html

I had a very similar one but in bright yellow, made somewhere with poor quality control that packed in after six months, let's see if this ones better.

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
My trusty TRUE lighter has been with me for over 10 years and is the only lighter that lights first time, every time. Its outlived all others.

That is, until last friday when I put the lighter back in the door pocket of my van and drove off after smoking a ciggy.

I felt something warm against my arm as I was driving. I looked down;

The door pocket was on fire!

The lighter had jammed with the valve open and I hadn't noticed as it has a perfect tiny blue flame. This had set fire to a tissue, and then to the plastic pocket.

I can't recommend TRUE lighters either.:rolleyes:

To be fair, it aint the lighter's fault you set your car on fire ;)

I've owned both of the True Utility lighters. The cylindrical turbojet one broke within a few months. The wire filament is very fragile.

The square turbojet classic is much better.

I've had one for a few years now, and been very pleased with it.

I've only ever ignited things with it deliberately too :D

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
To be fair, it aint the lighter's fault you set your car on fire ;)

I've owned both of the True Utility lighters. The cylindrical turbojet one broke within a few months. The wire filament is very fragile.

The square turbojet classic is much better.

I've had one for a few years now, and been very pleased with it.

I've only ever ignited things with it deliberately too :D

Go on Wook, set fire to your car while you are driving it. Join the club! Its good fun, honest :D

I think I'll try the bow drill next on the motroway :naughty:

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
I have two turbo flames and don't user either of them as you cannot trust them. I have to bleed on every fill and constantly have to fiddle with the flame adjuster. Such a shame because when they do work they are fantastic, but no point in carrying dead weight. I also have imco and zippo but when I get around to using them they have always dried out not being a smoker they only emerge once a month on camp. Have to say its bic lighter for me. They may not work at - 15c but neither do I. I used them for a week in Lapland -30 no problem easier and quick than matches or fire steel. But still carry matches and a fire steel.

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Not a lot of love here for the Turboflame, yet mine is 16 months old now, and has never let me down. It lives in the pouch on my knife sheath and has done a lot of woods time with me.

Feel it's only fair to balance out the negative posts with a positive experience.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I too have had good experience with the military style turbo flame lighters. I only use Newport gas (other types of gas seem to give problems) and it needs to be bled after filling. Been dead reliable and is used daily to light the log burner. Been using it for 2+ years.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE