Recommend a small bag for essentials?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
OK, I believe you. But I'm watching!!!

Thief-Cartoon.jpg

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
I love that Versipack setup BareThrills, that bag looks like it holds a considerable amount of gear, lots of colour choices too on the Maxp website.
The Frost packs look really nice, more traditional looking

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have something very similiar. The Thwart Bag, with a modded canvass and leather shoulder strap:

http://www.frostriver.com/canoe_packs/thwart_bag.html

DSC_0249.jpg

Also use a cool chest pack when practising rivercraft.......:fishing:

Nice looking bag - I like the idea of the front pocket... it doesn't add too much complexity. I love just having one compartment to store stuff in, I know exactly where everything is... "In the bag".

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Nice setup you've got there Paul. Is that green cap on a water bottle?

yes mate. the side pocket holds a 1l nalgene bottle. i got the go outdoors rip off variety as its much cheaper. im told you can also fit the bottle in with a tatonka stainless mug but im waiting for mine to arrive before i can test. ordered it from bronzemoonoutdoors so will likely never see it lol

this is mine, there may be many like it but this one is my one :)

it used to be one of those cheap back pack things you get in army surplus shops so i put a cotton strap on so it didn't slip off my shoulder and then decorated it a bit. a total of £6.50 and too much time on my hands.

the result of sitting waiting for folk concerts to start and finding wool. one of the craft stalls at a fair had some felting needles so i had to get some of them as well.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
amybupy7.jpg

I use one of these, a Shakespeare odyssey trout bag. its got a zipped back pocket, waterproof liner and d-rings at each end. I fasten my gps, spot and compass to the d rings and put them in the mesh pockets at the front so they can see the sky.

The bag lid makes a handy sit mat.

5y5e7y2a.jpg

Did 8 miles over the fells today and it easily held lunch, flask, water bottle and waterproofs.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
amybupy7.jpg

I use one of these, a Shakespeare odyssey trout bag. its got a zipped back pocket, waterproof liner and d-rings at each end. I fasten my gps, spot and compass to the d rings and put them in the mesh pockets at the front so they can see the sky.

The bag lid makes a handy sit mat.

5y5e7y2a.jpg

Did 8 miles over the fells today and it easily held lunch, flask, water bottle and waterproofs.

Yes, excellent bag, I have the old Daiwa one, takes my spinning gear and some food, I attach a small tripod chair to it for canal days.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hello,
Ok I am looking for a small bag to carry essentials ...but looking something less tactical.

So ideally:
single shoulder strap
capacity about 10litres or less
canvas or 500d type material
colour khaki, brown, green (something that blends in)
does something like this exist?

How about a Barbour Tarras...

PA150126.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
Hey Sandbender, that Barbour is a nice bag, size looks about right and a couple of separate compartments, pricey but you get what you pay for.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hey Sandbender, that Barbour is a nice bag, size looks about right and a couple of separate compartments, pricey but you get what you pay for.

They pop up on ebay now and again, that might save you some, otherwise ask someone on here to put something similar together for you, or make one yourself. :)

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
I use an Arcteryx mistral 8 - it's weatherproof with compartments etc and very well designed. In fact it's a purpose made outdoor 'manbag'... It's a luuuuuvely colour too :) unfortunately it's quite a price.

arcmistral16_tot_LRG.jpg

Attachments

• 99322003-260x260-0-0_Arc+Teryx+Arcteryx+Mistral+16+Day+Pack+2010.jpg
    99322003-260x260-0-0_Arc+Teryx+Arcteryx+Mistral+16+Day+Pack+2010.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Granite Head

Nomad
Aug 16, 2011
Dublin Mountains
Polish Army Bag - size is about right (11 x 11 x 6 inches) and has fastenable internal pouches. Cheap as well.

I have gone through various gas mask bags (Swedish, Finnish, Swiss) but this is now my preferred EDC.

526063337_o.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE