Recommend a small bag for essentials?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
A lot will depends on how far and how long your walking for, i tend to swap between 2 bags.

For hikes of 2 hours and under i tend to use my Maxpedition Jumbo with the Janus extension pocket.

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

+ Points
Mega mega tough - This bag has been dragged through every hedge in Greece backwards and still cleans up like new
Great for organisation - What with all the pockets and compartments it's great for knowing EXACTLY where stuff is and to be able to put your hand on it quickly
Accessibility - You can slide it round and have everything to hand without removing the bag
Add on's - What with the PALS webbing straps and velcro in the internal pockets you can add on pouches and holster to your hearts content.
Security - In towns i tend to swing it round so it's at the front and tie the pull tabs against each other, so it'd be pretty tough for someone to access the pockets without me knowing

Weight - At around 1.2kg before i've put anything in it, it's a fair old lump of material
Comfort - Anything more than 2 hours hiking with this bag and i start to feel it on my back and shoulders, i've found the most comfortable way to wear it is by really torquing up the waist strap, that way your hips take 80% of the weight and the shoulder strap just gives it a bit of support.
Still after 2 hours it's a pain to wear

Price - Maxped stuff tends to be expensive by the time it's gotten to our side of the pond

For longer hikes i use my Osprey Manta 25L

IMG_0880.jpg

+ Points
Comfort - By far the most comfortable rucksack i've used
Weight - It's a gnats testi over 1kg, but when your wearing it that weight is spread out so it feels a LOT lighter than the maxped
Quality - From the stitching to the zips you can see and feel the quality of the bag
Warranty - Osprey offer a lifetime warranty on all the products, if it tears after ten years send it back and they'll replace it
Comfort - I know i've already mentioned this, but the section of the bag that comes into contact with your back is mesh with a air gap between it and the rucksack itself, so you sweat very very little on your back

Accessibility - It's tough to get at any pockets without removing the bag.
Accessibility - Even the waist pockets are pretty much useless as they're right back near your bum and really tough to zip and unzip in that location
Poor for organisation - Only around 5 pockets with no small organisation pockets or loops, tends to be a bit of a hunt to find stuff in the main compartment
Price - Again it's not a cheap bag

I've tried a fair few bags over the years, the messenger type bags are great for access, but like the Maxped bag i find they tend to get tiring after and hour or 2 of carrying.

So these are the 2 i've stuck with.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Mark

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Slightly OT but how do you find the garmin 705 as a walking GPS. I assume you are using the mountain bike maps rather than road :)

I have one but was going to sell it. if its any good for bushcraft i may keep it.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I use a tactical tailor E&E pouch for my odds and ends, that a mess tin full of grub a water bottle and wet weather gear is realy all I need, as i tend to be a day humper who likes his bed too much :D

most recently the E&E has moved from a pock that gets thrown in a bag to a chest mount i knocked up -

been meaning to do a thread on it....

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Slightly OT but how do you find the garmin 705 as a walking GPS. I assume you are using the mountain bike maps rather than road :)

I have one but was going to sell it. if its any good for bushcraft i may keep it.

As you say i bought it mainly for MTBing, but it works just as well for hiking as well.

You can change whatever maps you have, when i'm back over in the UK i use OS maps with footpaths and bridalways.

Over here in Greece though we don't have the luxury of OS maps so i use Open Street Maps.

As they rely on people uploading paths you do have to be careful, but i've found that planning routes with a mixture of google earth and OSM is a great way of double checking many routes.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Cool, i have full europe topo mapping so will give it a try next time im out

Your Topo map should have all the footpaths as well as bridleways, so you should be sorted already.

Last time i was back i used this site to plan routes.
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx

Really good cause it gives you the total distance and elevation if you click between the "street" and "cycle" views in the top right corner it puts the footpaths and bridalways on the map, you then click and add your route.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Not really helpful but I use my old bag from secondary school..

3_230.jpg

That said, I have been looking for something more waterproof and robust so I'm oging to keep an eye on this thread. Some great ideas, particularly those Barbour ones look very naaaiiiice!!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cheap answer is a waterproof game bag from every gun shop and game fair in the country. Available in a variety of sizes and mostly under £20

Game Bag by British Red, on Flickr

Wide strap, waterproofed to stop game leaking gunk on you but also keeps rain out. Whats not to like?

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I am not impressed by that at all, it looks like a small urban bag with a inexplicable axe carry feature.
Actually I suppose you're right. It hadn't occurred to me but that's probably why I like the look of it, I've always tried to find a bushy bag that also looks acceptable to wear in more public places when going to/from the woods. I can explain the axe carry feature to you if you want. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE