Recommend a hiking anorak with big pouch side and chest pockets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Hi there. I'm after a tough, down-to-the-thigh, waterproof hiking anorak, with big pockets that isn't camouflage.

Can anyone suggest such a thing?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Not sure if the length is as you would need but I would encourage you to take a look at the Keela Munro.

http://www.keela.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/146/s/munro-jacket/category/8/

It's good a very long-standing reputation for being a great jacket. Things I like the look of are proper hood with wired peak and underarm ventilation for when it's pouring with rain but mild.

They can be found at lower prices if you shop around.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If you're after something traditional like that I'd go for something like a Paramo Pajarro. Best coat like that I've ever had. Next in line would be something from either Mountain Range or Mountain Equipment. Good solid jackets with great provenance and quality. Built for the miserable UK climate.
Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Brynglas

The Paramo anoraks and smocks are fantastic, they come in a variety of styles/ weights but I can't recommend them enough. I've had a Velez smock for about five years which I've used for hill walking, cycling and skiing . I've recently picked up a heavier smock for winter mountaineering and skiing. Can't recommend them enough

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I like paramo but the keela Munro show below is Very hard the beat. (Like paramo both makes used by mountain rescue agencies)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Id go for something really lightweight, in event, in black made by Rab, and some black really lightweight trousers to match, possible made by someone like....errr....IDK.....Marmot? Their essence ultralight pant is very good. And keep an eye on the Classifieds, you never know what might pop up. :theyareon

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Keela munro is for tramping up hill,so not thigh length, love mine, i find thigh length jkts are better for just traipsing through long grass etc on the level

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Love my Keela Munro, but find it hot in the summer months. Something to consider.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Have a look at the Berghaus Suilven http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/berghaus-mens-suilven-jacket-ia-11111320?id_colour=108

I pulled the trigger on one some months back to replace a TNF jacket well past its best (and which I never liked anyway). Not really had a chance to use it in really evil condictions, but it stood up very well to 30mph winds and relatively driving rain in Scotland recently (stupidly, it took two days before I realised that the jacket was named after the mountain I could clearly see from where we were staying). The length is enough to cover my bum (I'm 5ft 9in tall), with patch pockets (which actually work fine) and a decent hood (kid of wired). Its 2 layer Goretex, so might not be tough enough for you, and I suppose your possibly looking for something a bit longer.

The very helpful chap in Cotswolds pointed out that its bascially the Cornice III with a extra patch pocket (retro/street styling!) on the chest. However, since the Cornice III is £200 http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/berghaus-mens-cornice-iii-jacket-11111300?id_colour=107 , whereas you can get the Suilven for £25 cheaper (which was the situation when I bought mine), you could go for the cheaper one.

They are also in Go Outdoors, so at least have a look.

Last edited:

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Thanks a lot guys. The Keela Munro seems like the clear winner.

I'm still a bit wary - some of the reviews aren't fantastic, and it looks bulky.

I've got a French army jacket which is excellent. I picked it up for £20. Mine doesn't have waist pockets but there's a version that does and seems available for £50.

It's very well made, simple, the material is very very tough, and it would be perfect if only it weren't camouflaged. I hate looking like I want to be a soldier and worry that it's also slightly disrespectful to our armed forces for me to wear something like that.

If I could find that jacket in civilian colours I'd be sorted.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Garnett,
You've mentioned that you already own a French surplus jacket so maybe you're not just looking for 'Gucci' kit!:)
Have a look at the Austrian surplus KA03 jacket. The style errs towards civilian as opposed to bellows/patch pocket military, and it's a plain mid/light olive, single layer heavier weight Goretex and very well made.
I've used one over several years for both trekking and BC and it's proven brilliant.
You can get them used (try Surplus and Outdoors) or brand new if you're willing to spend the cash (Steinadler versand)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE