Recomend me some good EOTWAWKI books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think that was a sequel to "Citizens of Easter Island - there is no cause for alarm" wasn't it?

:)

silva

Jun 11, 2012
Welshpool
Some other good ones are The "Long Long Silence" by somebody I can't remember and Nevil Shutes "On The Beach" from the 1950's.
JG Ballard did some great ones too, but all his short stories and novels seem to morph into one in my memory.
I once read a book called "As far as my feet will carry me" by a german who was captured at Stalingrad and managed to escape from a lead mine in siberia, which was a great story of wilderness survival, though not strictly teowaki.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Anything by Nevil Shute is a good read - "In the wet" touches on an alternative future ... our present seeing as he wrote so long ago...

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Some other good ones are The "Long Long Silence" by somebody I can't remember and Nevil Shutes "On The Beach" from the 1950's.
JG Ballard did some great ones too, but all his short stories and novel seem to morph into one in my memory.
I once read a book called "As far as my feet will carry me" by a german who was captured at Stalingrad and managed to escape from a lead mine in siberia, which was a great story of wilderness survival, though not strictly teowaki.

I have a copy of that The long loud silence, I htink it's called. Just to clarify isn't it about a plague that hits the USA and devide it down the Mississippi. East of that are the infected but immune survivors and west are what's left of the US living as normal? Yeah good book and I enjoyed that alot.

Emund Cooper wrote a couple of good ones too. Set in the UK after a meltdown of one thing or another. The books are packed away now so I can't list the titles or synopsis.

I have a lot of JG Ballard's stuff for my Kindle, so I'll have a gander at those later.

That German soldeir books sound a lot like The Long Walk by Slavimar Rawizt (sp?) He and a few others walked from Siberia to India during WW2 to eventual freedom. They bred 'em tough back then.

Anything by Nevil Shute is a good read - "In the wet" touches on an alternative future ... our present seeing as he wrote so long ago...

Thanks John. I read On the Beach by Nevil Shute and didn't enjoy it that much as I recall, too bleak, but then Nuclear war has that sort of depressing aspect to it I suppose. I'll see if I can lay my hands on "In the Wet".

Another book I read a long time ago was Earth Abides set in San Fransisco. Rather good that one.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'm currently re-reading "After London" by Richard Jeffries. You can get it free on your Kindle. (I know you've got one because I got a cheap cover for mine on your recommendation!)

It's a curiosity of the genre having been written in the 19C when Jeffries noted the encroaching effects of the Industrial Revolution on the English countryside. He came from Swindon, which in his day was a small market town. William Morris' literary work is in the same vein- you may find him interesting too.

I sometimes feel that the end of the world as we know it has already happened. TS Eliot, "This is how the world ends; not with a bang but a whimper."

Last edited:

silva

Jun 11, 2012
Welshpool
[/QUOTE]"That German soldeir books sound a lot like The Long Walk by Slavimar Rawizt (sp?) He and a few others walked from Siberia to India during WW2 to eventual freedom. They bred 'em tough back then."[/QUOTE]

Ha thats a different one, though a great read and dare I say film.
"As Far As My Feet Can Carry Me", was written by Josef Martin Bauer and is a true story. Glad someone else has heard of the "Long Loud Silence" . Thanks for the heads up on Edmund Cooper - I will check him out.

Another great read if you can find a copy is "Blood Sport" by Robert F. Jones, a mad book about a father and son hunting n' fishing trip up the Hyssampa river in the states in the early 70's when they run into bandits, hippies, abandoned ww2 US army bases, aurochs, mastodons, medievil bone crossbows, Tilkut the bear god..........

Last edited:

silva

Jun 11, 2012
Welshpool
I'm currently re-reading "After London" by Richard Jeffries. You can get it free on your Kindle. (I know you've got one because I got a cheap cover for mine on your recommendation!)

It's a curiosity of the genre having been written in the 19C when Jeffries noted the encroaching effects of the Industrial Revolution on the English countryside. He came from Swindon, which in his day was a small market town. William Morris' literary work is in the same vein- you may find him interesting too.

I sometimes feel that the end of the world as we know it has already happened. W H Auden? "This is how the world ends; not with a bang but a whimper."

Richard Jeffries - what a fantastic writer and countryside visionary and mystic - I have his books stashed away for when I am in my dotage to read and dream about.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Here are some (although one or two may stretch the TEOTWAWKI definition):

"Empire of the East" by Fred Saberhagen
"The Magic Goeas Away" by Larry Niven (More of an TEOTWNAWKI book this one)
"The Forge of God" by Greg Bear
"Farnham's Freehold" by Robert A. Heinlein
"Logan's Run" by William F. Nolan
"Damnation Alley" by Roger Zelazny
"Make Room! Make Room!" by Harry Harrison (Much better than Soylent Green the film based on it)

Cheers!

Huon

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Biker, you will i think love The Kraken Awakes. I've read it twice and loved it to bits. Ploughing through The passage currently and it is very good too. Judging by the current world situation we may not have long to wait to get first hand experience :(

Biker

[/QUOTE]Thanks for the heads up on Edmund Cooper - I will check him out.[/QUOTE]

It was bugging me which books he'd written which I really enjoyed so I found an anthology on wikipedia. These are just some of what he'd written

All fools day
Five to Twelve
Who needs men?
Seahorse in the sky

My personal favourite is Transit which is like Robsinon Crusoe on steroids.

The books listed above are sorta dated having been written in the 60's & 70s but they're set in the UK which is a plus for me

Thanks for the other input folks. I've added those authros to my growing list.

Huon, I have some of those books you listed on my bookshelf! Good choice!

Biker

Was having a browse on another forum I joined up on months ago and rarely frequent and found this thread:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=92879

Looks like a pretty good selection of book reccomendations in there too. Nice to see an American forum recognising such British classics as War of the Worlds and Day of the Triffids. No offense intended to those US members here, it's just so often it seems nothing of importance exisits beyond the borders of the Good ol' US of A.

I'm halfway through Kraken now and enjoying it, not as interesting as Triffids at the moment though, but then the excrement hasn't hit the twirly thing just yet.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
How about Armageddon the musical and the rest of the trilogy by Robert Rankin. A lighthearted eotwawki tale.
You know its gonna be good when the hero is Elvis Presley, with Barry the talking time sprout, living in his head.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Eon was interesting too.

I enjoyed that, not quite in the same vein as most of the books mentioned here, but the world as the characters know certainly does end. :) The sequel 'Eternity' is also very good and features the most 'alien' aliens I have ever seen described in a book. :)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This has started me re-reading my favourites - starting with World in Winter and then Triiffids (you have seen the sign "Heavy Plant Crossing"...) Lucies Hammer, Kraken, Death of Grass - and on to the end of the shelf!
Rankins books are some of the maddest you will ever read - great reads!

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
This has started me re-reading my favourites - starting with World in Winter and then Triiffids (you have seen the sign "Heavy Plant Crossing"...) Lucies Hammer, Kraken, Death of Grass - and on to the end of the shelf!
Rankins books are some of the maddest you will ever read - great reads!

Rankins books really are out there, madness.

Just downloaded world war z, by Max Brooks. Not started it yet, but thought zombie survival guide was quite informative :D

Just finished Dies the Fire by S M Stirling
i can honestly say its been a very long time since i was disappointed to finish a book because i will never get to read it the first time. Magnificent.
now to work out how i can order the next two in the series and get them delivered without lisa finding out

Biker

Finished The Kraken Awakes yesterday, yeah twas a good read indeed and I am sure I'd read it before. Took a while to get going for me though but once it did it flowed nicely, however Triffids was a MUCH better book in my opinion. Funny how both end in a sort of "We're in the kack, now we have to figure out how to rebuild" kind of way.

Just started White Plague by James Herbert, since I had that on my PC to download to my Kindle. So far so good, I'm just hoping it's not going to turn into a nasty horror book.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE