Recomend me some good EOTWAWKI books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Following on a discussion going on in John Fenna's silk undies thread....

OMG that did not read well! :yikes:

Anyway Survivors by Terry Nation has been referred to as well as Genesis of a Hero which is the sequal.

Now I already have several books in this genre but I'm always on the look out for other titles that can be recommended.

There are obvious ones like The Postman and The Road (read the former not the latter) I suppose what I am after is some End Of The World As We Know It (EOTWAWKI) adventure.

Books I have read are:

The Stand
Max Mad 2
Mad Max beyond Thunderdome
The Survivalist series by Jerry Ahern
Deathlands series (up to books 17 of 60+ on my kindle)
Day of the Triffids (and the sequal to it)

Thing is my bookshelves are now packed away so I can't refer to them to list more, so don't be afraid to list ovvious ones I might not be aware of. Truth be told I'm not much into graphic violent stuff, like The Rats trilogy or The Fog and 48 by James Herbert, all of which I have read. They're good but I'm past reading horror.

Thanks in advance folks

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising" nearly a 1000 pages of world war 3. Good book. delves into all theatres of war.

Clive Cussler also writes good books, normally with a plot involving some random corporation trying to kill everyone. Last one i read had a major mining company building Arks and trying to break off the ice shelves to cause a pole flip. Good books as they all have the same main characters so there is continuity throughout a lot of books.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The Kraken Wakes and Web by John Wyndham
The Swarm by Frank Schatzing

Quite a few similarities between The Kraken Wakes and The Swarm, but both very well written in their own way.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke. Perhaps not the EOTWAWKI scenario you may be thinking of, but a good book nevertheless.

Geoff

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks for the replies and recommendations. By the way Alien invasion also counts as EOTWAWKI for me; like Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's Footfall.

Having the Kindle and those DVDs full of ebooks I got off ebay is all well and dandy, but you can't read a synopsis on the back of the book to find out what the basic story line is. So reading details aboout this genre of books does help a lot.

I heard conflicting reports about The Road, that is was very dark and depressing, the film was made with that whole aspect in mind so don't go and see it if you're feeling depressed in any way. I haven't watched it either.

I think I read Lucifer's hammer, not sure.

The Passage by Justin Cronin, I hadn't heard of before, I'll seek that one out on those DVDs

Clive Cussler's books are very rip-roaring adventures and I've read most of his stuff except the most recent, thanks Mark.

Death of grass I have read but not World in Winter. I'll check that out. Thanks John.

The Kraken wakes and The Web I'm sure are on those DVDs I bought. I'll give them a blast soon. Same for Childhood's end by Clarke, though I am sure I may have read that, but I have no recollection of the story line.

World war Z I have on my kindle, same with Zombie survival guide, just haven't pressed the button to start them yet, the mere fact it says zombies puts me off. Last Light and Afterlight I haven't heard of before. I'll check em out.

Another couple of books I remembered I have in my collection are:

The Furies by Keith Roberts which reminded me a lot of Day of the Triffids.

Another good one for me was Emergence by David R Palmer. If you google search that book watch out for a huge spoiler on wikipedia, it gives away the entire plot of the book in 5 paragraphs. I REALLY liked that book. Pressed all the right buttons for me that did.

I'll see if I can recall any others, in the meantime, thanks for your lists folks.

Last edited:

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
I Spied a Pale Horse by Mark Timlin, There Falls No Shadow by David E Crossley, Dies The Fire by SM Stirling are some recent(ish) favourites of mine. Other older John Christophers like Pendulum, Wrinkle in the Skin and The World in Winter are slightly dated but good nonetheless too.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I watched The Road and enjoyed it but it also left me feeling suicidal. I strongly recommend following it closely with something from the Disney/Pixar people to cheer you up and make you want to live again...

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
The Road was ok but fairly impausable as a consept - man after all is pretty fragile so if 'the event' was able to leave such devisation behind how on earth did they survive...

Recently finished one second after its a page turner and a very realistic approach to survival after an EMP, not at all gun-ho like some of the others out there

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE