recognising a muntjack foot print from a deers foot print?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
Fenlander said:
Hi Jon,

I use a rule of finger as a rough guide, having watched various deer and then measured their slots.

Muntjac slots tend to be the length of the first joint of my index finger

where as Roe Deer reaches to the second joint

Fallow reach to my knuckle and Red well beyond my knuckle.

Hi Fenlander

Could you please send me your finger so I can borrow it until I get my eye in?(notice I said send and not 'give me the finger'- important difference!)

ta

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
dommyracer said:
This is what 'animal tracks and signs' (Bang / Dahlstrom) has to say

"Its prints are easily recognised by their very small size, usually under 3cm long, and there is a tendency for the inner cleave to be less developed than the the outer. Howver, in many animals the cleaves are symmetrical. The dew claws are small and normally leave imprints on very soft ground, and when the animal jumps."

I have just got thisexcellent book but isn't the 'to scale' munty slots the wrong size in the picture in the book? Cant remember the page number have a look and see if I have got it wrong again!!! :rolleyes:

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Thats great info everyone thankyou very much! Cheers!

After your info i think its safe to say i dont have any deer but blenty of muntjack.

The tracks are quite small and they dig in more at the front like you said Snufkin. Plus i think if we have deer i would have seen atleast one in 17 years! :rolleyes:

Also i like that finger rule Fenlander! nice idea.

And thanks to Zero Hunter for some great info too.

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
last summer one time i was led up in a big beech tree in the woods just relaxing when i heard a strange sort of sound i stayed dead still and a muntjac came out through the bushes it didnt even notice me it walked around for a bit nosing around in the undergrowth and then walked off it was brilliant its the only time ive ever seen one in real life.
Josh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE