recognising a muntjack foot print from a deers foot print?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Whats different between the two?

Some people in my area say they have seen Deer but i dont beleive them. There are a lot of Muntjack in my area though and i need to know how to tell a deer print from a muntjack print.

Pics could help.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
This is what 'animal tracks and signs' (Bang / Dahlstrom) has to say

"Its prints are easily recognised by their very small size, usually under 3cm long, and there is a tendency for the inner cleave to be less developed than the the outer. Howver, in many animals the cleaves are symmetrical. The dew claws are small and normally leave imprints on very soft ground, and when the animal jumps."

I guess if you find small prints only, then it's likely to be Muntjac. Any larger prints would be from larger deer.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
whereabouts in the midlands are you? I might be able to tell you what I know is there.

it is usually the other way around in that a lot of fallow, red and roe are seen, it is muntjac, being solitary and secretive most of the time that raises an eyebrow when one is reported to have seen it.

have a look here, its a lovely, simple guide to deer species.
http://www.erccis.co.uk/mammals/downloads/deer_identification.pdf

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think that red deer have more blunt cloven hooves compared to the other deer
leon

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
We have muntjac round here. I saw one crossing the road one night last year.

(and yes, you will say I was very lucky to have seen one)

sometimes rose heads go missing from the cemetry. Kids were blamed untill a muntjac was seen snipping them off one morning, no doubt pleased at all these rose blossoms being put within reach!

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
jon r said:

Some people in my area say they have seen Deer but i dont beleive them. There are a lot of Muntjack in my area though and i need to know how to tell a deer print from a muntjack print.

Pics could help.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

They are BOTH deer.

You will hear Munties, they bark like a terrier (munties are known as 'the barking deer'). Chances are that you have Roe in your area. We have seven species of deer in the UK. Muntjac, Roe, Water deer, Fallow deer, Sika deer, Red deer and reindeer. Size is in that order or there about.

The two most successful deer are Muntjac and Roe, the least is water deer (CWD). Sika cross breed with Reds, Fallow are getting more and more common and Reindeer are stuck in the highlands.

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Fallow Way said:
whereabouts in the midlands are you? I might be able to tell you what I know is there.

it is usually the other way around in that a lot of fallow, red and roe are seen, it is muntjac, being solitary and secretive most of the time that raises an eyebrow when one is reported to have seen it.

have a look here, its a lovely, simple guide to deer species.
http://www.erccis.co.uk/mammals/downloads/deer_identification.pdf

Muntjac are very transient and tollerent of mans activities.

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
dommyracer said:
This is what 'animal tracks and signs' (Bang / Dahlstrom) has to say

"Its prints are easily recognised by their very small size, usually under 3cm long, and there is a tendency for the inner cleave to be less developed than the the outer. Howver, in many animals the cleaves are symmetrical. The dew claws are small and normally leave imprints on very soft ground, and when the animal jumps."

I guess if you find small prints only, then it's likely to be Muntjac. Any larger prints would be from larger deer.

The browse line is the best indicator of deer. Tracks or slots are not easy to ID in most cases. Location, scats, pins, browse lines, wallows, tree damage / fraying and local knowledge all help to ID and understand the Deer in anyone area. I have a patch of stalking where I have seen and shot Red, Roe, Sika, Fallow and Muntjac ! 5 out of the 7 UK species. I've also seen Boar on the land too boot.

John

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Yup, there are other ways to identify what's about, but the question asked was "i need to know how to tell a deer print from a muntjack print. "

The simple answer to this is "size".

There was some Muntjac living quite happily in railway sidings in Catford. not sure if they're still there.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
HZ,

Water deer are smaller that Roe mate - odd things but lovely to see - plenty of them just North of Luton

Red

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
British Red said:
HZ,

Water deer are smaller that Roe mate - odd things but lovely to see - plenty of them just North of Luton

Red

Problem with CWD is due to their back legs looking long, a visual sighting can leave people believing that they are bigger than they are but you are right, CWD are in size and weight smaller than the roe.

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
dommyracer said:
Yup, there are other ways to identify what's about, but the question asked was "i need to know how to tell a deer print from a muntjack print. "

The simple answer to this is "size".

There was some Muntjac living quite happily in railway sidings in Catford. not sure if they're still there.

I've yet to meet a person who can accurately ID deer tracks and I've met some real experts. Yer, sure you can hazard a guess.

You'll be okay if there are only one or two species in the area but then add sheep or goats and ID'ing from slots is a hard business.

John

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Tengu said:
We have muntjac round here. I saw one crossing the road one night last year.

(and yes, you will say I was very lucky to have seen one)

sometimes rose heads go missing from the cemetry. Kids were blamed untill a muntjac was seen snipping them off one morning, no doubt pleased at all these rose blossoms being put within reach!
muntjak arent hard to spot, i have seen literally hundreds over the time down here infact it is the only deer i have ever seen here
very common here
leon

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
leon-b said:
muntjak arent hard to spot, i have seen literally hundreds over the time down here infact it is the only deer i have ever seen here
very common here
leon

Yes, you do see a few around :)

Best place to see loads of them is on game shoot feed rides.

John

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Loads of muntjac in Norfolk, more's the pity :rolleyes: .
Size is a good indicator in tracks and the front of a muntjacs track often tends to dig in more than that of a roe deer.

jon r said:

Pics could help.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Hi Jon,

I use a rule of finger as a rough guide, having watched various deer and then measured their slots.

Muntjac slots tend to be the length of the first joint of my index finger

Muntjacslot.jpg
[/IMG]

where as Roe Deer reaches to the second joint

Roedeerslot.jpg
[/IMG]

Fallow reach to my knuckle and Red well beyond my knuckle.

This is only meant as a very rough guide for me and of course the shape of the slot is very important as well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE