Recent Purchase 201k?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 10, 2017
Southampton
Hi guys

Recently bought this Singer sewing Machine and I have a question.

Is it a 201k?

The reason I ask is because the tension dial is different from all other images of machines I have seen.

Got it for £30 which I thought was a good price and it seem to work good.

Here,s some images ...

CabfXNw-b_SAZAksW2hk98s58aWxeAg5UKcSDouCJo0eJxFPc

MqI1iQdF1sFNOtwR7Bk-BbwbKgPNsH_ej1uK9tLcJiseJxFPc

ge9NfnzhLcYRmoCQ2tPxhiwg20A6Y3NDgFII94S9B-oeJxFPc

G5TiDcfhB5sJaGLhe_YQntZG90sqatrTwp_2JziDy70eJxFPc

Ly7Pq1MmvBO5Wfhqf1D0VNBzpy5VMLE9XW-67UZutXgeJxFPc

CbnSqTtJOkM56WHhi_M6Wc_lKHub7M3K3Lp6zQ_0Kn8eJxFPc

Also does anyone use v69 thread with this machine, seem to be having problems getting the tension correct, it sews, but can always see the top thread on the underside. Have got Guttermanns Terra 60 to work fine although it pulls bottom thread up through the fabric when back tacking and seems to work better when the stitch length is slightly off max.

Sewing Cordura 1000D.

Any tips?

Oh and great forum, first post.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017
Southampton
Hey

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciated.

It would seem that this machine was in the first mass production run of the model, with only 1600 having been produced before this.

That would explain the weird tension dial I suppose.

All I need now is some tensioning tips.

Thanks

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I use a 201k2 for my sewing fantastic machine.
Most of the user info I picked up from utube threading , servicing the lot...normally from crazed singer users from the US these folks know there singers.
The rest is just practice.
Twodogs

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
You've bought the greatest sewing machine ever made. :)
I have one at home too and it'll sew anything the Pfaff industrial machines will sew.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
For tension tips, you're best messing about with different fabric around 250 to 350gsm and adjusting the tension until you can sew neatly. 4oz Nylon is slippery and demanding to sew with light tension and it puckers really easily. 6oz backed nylon isn't as bad.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
I've just had a look at your serial number and it seems to be a 66k. That's still an excellent machine, that will sew pretty much everything.

Jul 10, 2017
Southampton
Hi guys

Got it sorted, had to loosen the bobbin thread tension as it was set to max and I ran out of tension on the top thread, with the bobbin tension sorted I,m at just over halfway on the top, also, the tension unit was put together wrongly, so the presser foot lift didn't release the tension, it does now, have ordered a new tension spring, as well as some oil, bobbin winder o-ring, and a 1/4 inch piping foot.

Now I just gotta learn how to do patterns and i,ll be sewing like crazy.

L8rs

Jul 10, 2017
Southampton
Hi guys

Ok, that was a bit premature, let me rephrase.

I have it mostly sorted, I have good stitches with the Gutterman Terra 60 and dabond v69.

But the back stitch looks like crap. Its pulling the bottom stitch through the fabric to much.

Anyone sewing with v69 and the 201k?

Thanks again.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Not used the Guttermans terra 60, but the v69 works fine on my 201k on polycotton and teflon coated pu backed acrylic canvas, though mine is from 1950's so there could be tweaks to it. The Pfaff industrials where I work, the machinists have sewn with that thread for years.

I haven't tried sewing Cordura on my home machine. Again the Pfaffs don't have any issue with it.

If re-tensioning doesn't work.
Here's some random ideas.
Maybe the v69 is gripping to the coating on one side more than the Guttermans which could have more slip?
How does it back tack if you turn the fabric the opposite way?
Also, needle brands can have strange effects on some materials even though they look the same size.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE