Reccomded Stove for DoE?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Mates daughter is doing it.

What sage advice do I give regarding stoves (after issuing dire warnings on the uselessness of Greenheat)

any other advice?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
My long ex girlfriend used a Trangia when she did it, come to think of it so did one of the other exes when she did it.

It was the big (ish) version though and not the mini.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
If you're in hampshire the only authorised DoE stove is the Trangia with gas converter. They went over to this when a girl managed to set light to her clothing when she wasn't properly trained on using meths, what made it worse is that she didn't immediately realise she was alight as meths is almost invisible when burning ...

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
does anyone else think the world's gone mad? What's wrong with any other gas stove? A jetboil? Or hexy blocks? Or just making sure everyone knows how to safely use meths?!
I'm not having a go, but whoever thought that one up... *shakes head*
Assuming part of the point of DofE is to get people interested in the outdoors, if they succeed, won't they have to learn how to use different kinds of stove anyway?
That's if they're not put off backpacking for life like I almost was by the experience. Huge old heavy tents, heavy and bulky trangias, enough clothing and survival equipment to equip a small arctic expedition...
*breathes deeply* - rant over :)
I guess everyone need to protect their back sometimes

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
oh and I also used a trangia for DofE. A 25 shared between two of us.
Now if the weather's predicted to be good and they're only going for a few days, my choice would be a Ti cooking mug, a few hexy blocks wrapped in tin foil and a lighter. Explain how to use them (standing the mug on some pebbles), not to breathe in hexi smoke, etc and that's probably the lightest simplest most reliable few hot meals there is.
With worse weather I'd prob be tempted with a jetboil shared between two people though and maybe a Ti cooking mug each. That's about 3-400g per person inc fuel... and it's fast, simple and reliable

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have led D o E in 3 Education Authorities and the only thing that they had in common was the Trangia!

I know its heavy and slow, but with proper instruction and practice is as safe as they come -
  • No pressure vessel
  • Stable
  • Works well in wind

I use the tried and tested EDIP method of instruction and have only ever used them with meths, not Greenheat or gas conversions and have never had an accident or injury with them.

From experience with the Crusader system, Greenheat works well in Summer but when the cold starts to bite it takes for ever to cook with so have never gone down this route with D o E.

HTH

Simon

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
No arguements from me Bikething ... but the Trangia is blissfully simple to operate for kids with little experience!

On my expedition leaders assessment, I was asked by the assessor which type of stove should NEVER be used. I thought it was a trick question and laughed. He responded by saying "A multi fuel pressure stove".

I reached into my sac and took out a multi fuel pressure stove and said "so you don't want a brew then?" as my team mates threw their mugs to me.

He skulked off to a safe distance, watched me light the stove, safely, then retreated to his warm, dry Disco!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
oh and I also used a trangia for DofE. A 25 shared between two of us.
Now if the weather's predicted to be good and they're only going for a few days, my choice would be a Ti cooking mug, a few hexy blocks wrapped in tin foil and a lighter. Explain how to use them (standing the mug on some pebbles), not to breathe in hexi smoke, etc and that's probably the lightest simplest most reliable few hot meals there is.
With worse weather I'd prob be tempted with a jetboil shared between two people though and maybe a Ti cooking mug each. That's about 3-400g per person inc fuel... and it's fast, simple and reliable

What meals can you cook in a mug? Trangia has to be top pick for DoE, self contained, 100% reliable, and two pans which mean you can cook REAL food and not just noodles or heat up a rat pack. So the young people learn not only how to use a proper stove in a safe manner, they improve their cooking skills and don't go home hungry

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks for the advice guys, Ill pass it on.

Im starting up a new, related thread `general sage advice and comments on DoE`

See you there!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
:p So there's a common denominator here then...all these ex's! ;) Honest it had nothing to do with my bushcraft fetish :p

I'm 36, even someone as crap at pulling as me has had a woman land on his lap every once in a while so you get through a few.

Well, till I met the one I married that is.

Is this Ben or Lisa I am waffling onto here? Being that your username is woodsmoke that is?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you're in hampshire the only authorised DoE stove is the Trangia with gas converter. They went over to this when a girl managed to set light to her clothing when she wasn't properly trained on using meths, what made it worse is that she didn't immediately realise she was alight as meths is almost invisible when burning ...

Thanks Lithril!

My daughter enquired of me recently whether DoE was worth doing or if it had become, to coin her friends phase "as totally wishy washy and boring as scouts is"

It does sadden me that such laudable aims that these organisations had have become diluted by all this PC H&S stuff. To me the outdoors training was a lot about allowing young people to experience hazard and become mature enough to cope with tools and equipment that can be dangerous if misused. Cutting off all possible dangerous tools and equipment, to me personally, misses the entire point of the exercise.

Aah well - she'll just have to learn with dear old Dad (probably better that way anyway - I find it hilarious that shes responsible enough to shoot a firearm - and has been for 5 years - but deary me a meths Trangia no)

Red

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Scouts is slightly different as they have their own insurance, they do allow the use of other stoves but often still move towards trangias, mainly because they're fairly complete and easy to set up.

If you're looking at the bronze award, in most cases the aim is to get the kids actually out and about, many of the students that I take out little experience outside of a home or school so its daunting enough to be camping and walking solo (ok supervision isn't far away.) Trangias are simple enough that they can get to grips with fairly quickly which is quite a confidence boost, even with this I've still seen some numptys manage to burn themselves.

I think when you get to silver and gold (gold especially) they already have some experience so the rules are relaxed some what, if the students can show profiency then I've no problem as a leader with them carrying and using them. Gold especially is another ball game, my other half runs hampshire stores as a part time job, renting out equipment to schools and groups, they're actually looking at buying some terra novas for gold groups ot use, so the rules here are quite different - normally for bronze they rent out space packers or vaudes.

Unfortuanately in this day and age you've got to cover yourself and a bronze group with no experience is much safer with a trangia and gas converter than with meths, green heat or some other stoves.

Red, if you get stuck or want any advice, drop me a message, I was out for 18 weekends last year with DoE groups :p

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE