Reasons for carrying a knife (in the UK).......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
scanker said:
It's all happening tonight. Is this to do with 6/6/6?

LOL!

The sad thing is that many of us have also been in the army and lost mates as well, but we tend not to shout about it. I have a feeling that Hilltop is actually a 12 year old boy, visiting BCUK as he takes a short break from his hourly internet pron excursions :lmao:

How he / she / it managed to knock up 110 posts beats me!

Martyn, I'll buy you a beer for banning him (if that's still legal).

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
scanker said:
It's all happening tonight. Is this to do with 6/6/6?
Its probably that and the hot weather.

Mods.........Please close this thread I started down now. The questions I had have been well answered and some, and its gone round in circles and has now gone downhill (no pun intended).................Jon

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Ray Who?

FYI: I have been a mountaineer for 25 years and in that time I have carried more than one military 'expert' off the hill in a stretcher.

Your friend's infomation is WRONG simple as that.
Check the Criminal Justice Act 1988 sec: 139.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Damm! I went to the pub and all this happened.

hilltop said:
wrong, there are 3 types of weapon, manufactured, improvised, and intended,

Intended - This is the law, to my understanding, it is the intent of use that is important. A rolled up magazine is an offensive weapon if you intent to use it for self defense.

hilltop said:
this covers anything, from a bag of joiners tools to a laaw 80,

A weapon is something you use to cause harm.

A bag of joiner's tools is something a joiner uses to join.

Do you think a Police Officer would think I was a threat walking down the street with a LAW? I need it to uproot some trees, honest.

hilltop said:
if a police officer thinks you are a threat you are nicked,

Yep.

There is nothing else to say to this, due to the fact the whole thread has been about avoiding this.

hilltop said:
there is no good reason for carrying a knife in the uk,

The UK is 4 countries. Northern Ireland has different laws, I think, and so does Scotland, I think.

Just to give a brief example, the above puts carpet layers out of work.

hilltop said:
just had it confirmed on the phone by a serving officer in the south yorks police, like i said its upto the individual officer and sercumstance,

I actually want this serving officer's number, if this is the advice he is giving, he needs re-training.

Bed time.

IPA, nice.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Hi Martyn

I think in all the excitement you might have missed my question: Are we able to carry sub 3" non-lockers in 'inappropriate places' (eg a legal penknife in a school) or are all blades excluded by law?

Cheers mate.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Taking any kind of knife into School Premises is a Definate Arrestable Offence!

This includes otherwise Legal Penknives (and work tools such as Stanley Knives).

There is a separate piece of Legislation involved with School Premises and you need written authority, obtained in advance, before taking any kind of knife into the premises.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Minotaur said:
I actually want this serving officer's number, if this is the advice he is giving, he needs re-training.

Quite. Just proves what I often say about people who quote coppers as if their word was quite literally the law - not all coppers are as knowledgeable about the law as they should perhaps be.

As an aside, I've been critical of some of the moderation in this thread but you've got it spot on with hilltop. I can't help but think he just didn't read the thread at all.
:confused:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Lurch said:
Quite. Just proves what I often say about people who quote coppers as if their word was quite literally the law - not all coppers are as knowledgeable about the law as they should perhaps be.

As an aside, I've been critical of some of the moderation in this thread but you've got it spot on with hilltop. I can't help but think he just didn't read the thread at all.
:confused:

He trolled over to BB after he was banned and was promptly banned there.

He obviously had no interest in any of the discussions.

"Care in the community" springs to mind.

I hope he is able to get the help he obviously needs,seriously,I am not making light of the situation.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
bogflogger said:
There is a separate piece of Legislation involved with School Premises and you need written authority, obtained in advance, before taking any kind of knife into the premises.
:eek:
I thought you just had to justify any knife
I used to go and help out in a primary school and always had a knife as I tended to open lots of suff. I thoughtsince I ad a good reason that was enough

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
bogflogger said:
Taking any kind of knife into School Premises is a Definate Arrestable Offence!

This includes otherwise Legal Penknives (and work tools such as Stanley Knives).

Are there any other places like this?

I thought there was something about Airports now as well?

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Minotaur said:
Are there any other places like this?

I thought there was something about Airports now as well?

If you check back a page on this thread, you'll see that Martyn has addressed this question. It's only my query re: penknives in schools, airports, etc which he refuses to answer.

I think he's avoiding the point.

Haha (sorry, bad pun). :)

On a slightly OT matter, did anyone notice that our dearly departed Hilltop seems to have more than just one screw loose. Here's a comment he made in the "a secondary knife?" thread -

"i have a SAK in every rucksak and bergen i own, this way i am never without a good usefull knife, i leave them in there . also i have an opinel in the pocket of my windproof smock, i leave it in there, secondary knives are a life saver, as switched on and hardcore as a think i am , i have forgotten knives on my travels, these measures have made a major disaster into a minor niggle, you cant carve yourself a knife, lol, lol,".

I think BorderReiver may have a point re: his mental stability....

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Mantic said:
If you check back a page on this thread, you'll see that Martyn has addressed this question. It's only my query re: penknives in schools, airports, etc which he refuses to answer.

I think he's avoiding the point.

Haha (sorry, bad pun). :)

Yep,excruciatingly bad. :p

I don't think Martyn is a lawyer :confused: .

I would rather he "avoided the point" than give out duff gen.

He has obviously done a lot of research into the topic and knows enough to know that he doesn't know it all. :cool:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Andy said:
:eek:
I thought you just had to justify any knife
I used to go and help out in a primary school and always had a knife as I tended to open lots of suff. I thoughtsince I ad a good reason that was enough
With schools you need a letter from the head with you to have a knife on the premises.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
In aircraft you need legal authority - so I make sure to give myself the authority to carry my leatherman each time I take off ;)

Generally not a problem if you're piloting it yourself :D

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone, especially Martyn for all the info on this thread.

I've carried a 3 1/2 inch locking swiss army knife for over 20 yrs. My Father bought me a locking blade as he belived it was safer ( less chance of it folding on your fingers) than a folding knife. I have recommended to others they get locking blades for this reson unaware they were against the law.

I have carried this knife everywhere, and found I have used it for everything from slicing bread, picking out horses feet, opening cans, bottles, gutting fish, making spare tent pegs, retriving money dropped through a grill, changing plugs, cutting turf, making feather sticks for fires, repairing shoes... the list is endless, but I have often just had it on me with no intended pourpose when it suddenly became useful to have. If I'd been stopped I would'nt have been able to justify carrying it most of the time.
I certainly wouldn't carry it in to town now ( though it has been a long time since I was in town)

I guess it will now only be taken out when I know I will have a specific need of it.

p.s I've never seen Ray Mears, I hope I'm still allowed on here :) .

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Pappa said:
Aren't other premises also included too, such as buildings where youth clubs are held etc.?

I've taken my knife into youth groups to go over knife safety, I hope this was allowed.

At Girl guide meetings I've even asked them to bring in any penknifes they may have, were they breaking the law on the way to the meeting?

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
AHA!!!

I could be of some use!

I manage a local authority youth service, so can offer a prof' point of view on the taking of knives into a youth club.

It's a bit anal, but... what ever an adult does in a youth club sets an example. Everything you say or do has the potential for lodging into a young person's head and affecting how they think. So, you need to take care.

I would not allow staff or visitors to take a knife, pen knife or otherwise, into a youth club unless they a) had a very good reason and b) understood the implications and the need to address these directly with young people.

So, if you are doing a knife safety course as part of a bushcraft session, take a knife. If you are discussing the dangers of knives and young people, you may want to take several knives to show how dangerous and stupid they are as weapons. If you are fixing some remote control cars, you would be better off taking proper tools. If you are fixing bikes, take a bike tool.

The problem comes with people "role modeling" that just having a knife around is OK. It isn't OK for the vast majority of young peple in this country. They will get into shed loads of trouble if they take them into schools (I am also a school govenor), they will get into trouble with the police (locking blade or not), and they will potentially get into trouble with other young people ( young people are MUCH more likely to be a victim of crime than any other group in society).

If you do have a reason to have a knife in a youth club (and I keep my SAK on me, as I manage several buildings and find I usually have to fix something) then be ready to explain why it's ok, and also seriously discourage others from having a knife around.

If your youth group meets on a school site, get written permission from the head master / mistress. I also advise the police.

I would discourage the practise of asking young people to bring knives into a project. Amongst other things they may tell their mates, who then think it's OK to carry knives to your project. Also, any incident relating to the knife will bounce back on you.

Hope that was usefull
Would make a change

Paul
(not Rambo)

Reactions: BorderReiver
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE