Reasons for carrying a knife (in the UK).......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
running bare said:
section 1 of the offesive weapons act. This makes it illegal for you to carry any item for use as a weapon, or for intent to use as a weapon.

not trying to be obtuse or anything just pointing out the flaw of assumption here.how can a person prove that you INTEND to use any item as a weapon?

The cop doesnt prove it and isnt required to prove it. He just has to reasonably suspect it in order to arrest for it. It's then up to the courts to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

Is it reasonable to arrest someone with a dagger at a football match? I think it is. Then it's up to the courts to decide. If the defendant can make a good argument, they might let him off. If he cant, they might lock him up.

Not sure where we are going with this really? You might not like the restrictions the law puts on you, but the law is reasonable.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Martyn said:
Yeah, it's all about context Abbe. Actually, in the UK it would be legal to carry a knife up the hills, if they lived the kind of life they do in N Lappland, while at the same time illegal to carry in cities for no good reason. The UK law lets the cops choose what is reasonable and either let em go or arrest em accordingly. It's not a bad system.

I think the problem people have with it, is that it's all up to the individual cop as to what is reasonable and what isnt. If you get a cop who is having a bad hair day, you could fall foul of his bad mood. People see that as a bit too powerful. Though having said that, if the cop arrested someone unfairly, the courts would throw it out and the cop would get a good telling off.

Is sensible to me why would a town boy need a big knife on his belt?
I would respect that, after that mad guy in Berlin last night stabbing 30 people I understand they get a bit tense.

Cheers
Abbe

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
running bare said:
where in uk law does it state it applies to towns and cities and not in the hills?

It doesnt state anything in UK law except context.

If the people in the hills lived like they do in northern lappland, by hunting and fishing and everyone needed a knife as part of their daily life, the law in the UK would (in fact does) see carrying one under those circumstances as reasonable ...and therefore legal.

In a city, you dont need to hunt and fish in order to feed yourself, or do anything that really requires a knife on a regular basis. So the law would see open carry in such a context as illegal.

It's exactly the same as carrying a knife for bushcraft in the woods is legal, but carrying one in Tesco's is illegal.

It's all about context.

It's a moot point, because we dont have that culture here. I was just using it as an illustration for Abbe.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
im just pointing outthat its assumption of an officer without proof and the term any item and as has been shown any item on you everyday can be classed as a weapon. you could be talking with a person and gesticulating with a pen in your hand that you have been using to do a crossword and an officer at a distance thinks that you could use it as a weapon , your arrested,go to court possibly loose your job and livelyhood on the assumption of a officer. how can you prove otherwise? just because you didnt use it doesnt mean that it couldnt be used,

just pointing out the pitfalls of knee jerk laws. that have not been thought out.has it stopped or cut down on the crimes ?no.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
running bare said:
im just pointing outthat its assumption of an officer without proof and the term any item and as has been shown any item on you everyday can be classed as a weapon. you could be talking with a person and gesticulating with a pen in your hand that you have been using to do a crossword and an officer at a distance thinks that you could use it as a weapon , your arrested,go to court possibly loose your job and livelyhood on the assumption of a officer. how can you prove otherwise? just because you didnt use it doesnt mean that it couldnt be used,

just pointing out the pitfalls of knee jerk laws. that have not been thought out.has it stopped or cut down on the crimes ?no.

Well if you take a dagger to a footie match, maybe you deserve to loose your job for "felony stupid" as the 'mercans say. Equally, a lock knife in a nightclub will get you a Darwin award. People need to be smarter than that.

I've never heard of somone getting arrested for gesticulating with a pen, let alone being convicted for it. But yes, it's up to a police officer to make a judgement about you and your behaviour and yes, they could be wrong.

No police officer needs proof of any crime, murder, theft, whatever in order to make an arrest, they just need reasonable suspicion. They dont need to prove intent, they just need to suspect it ...and they could be wrong.

running bare, I think you are just raging against the machine. I think I've done a good job of explaining the law in a pretty concise way. If you are determined to rant, then there is little point in me trying to explain anything. Fundamentally, these laws take control away from you as an individual, supposedly for the better interests of society as a whole. There is nothing anyone can do to change that.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
unfortunatly we have to live with those knee jerk laws . What is a knife ? a sharp or pointed object ? how sharp ect at the end of the day you have to convince 12 people of your innocence irespective of the arresting police .

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
[It's exactly the same as carrying a knife for bushcraft in the woods is legal, but carrying one in Tesco's is illegal.
Just out of intrest is it legal to carry a knife on ones person on public land / what good cause have you ? for you should not cut wild plants or trees etc

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
It might be worth pointing out, that people have been sucessfully prosecuted under the Offensive Weapons Legislation, for using items such as Carrots, Turnips and even a polystyrene cup of hot coffee.

It is all about context and intent.

If you are behaving responsibly and conforming with Section 139 of the CJA, then you have all the Good Reason you require to carry your bushcraft knives/axe- even on Public Transport.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
ilan said:
[It's exactly the same as carrying a knife for bushcraft in the woods is legal, but carrying one in Tesco's is illegal.
Just out of intrest is it legal to carry a knife on ones person on public land / what good cause have you ? for you should not cut wild plants or trees etc
Surely these problems can be overcome with careful thought ?.........on public footpaths on the hill or anywhere else remotely "public", a knife should be kept safely tucked away in a rucksack. After choosing a campsite......in all likelihood far from the madding crowd, the knife can safely be brought out and put to its intended use.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
you got me wrong im not raging against the machine. just the fact that laws can be contradictory and as we have all assumed they are aimed at knives but as pointed out any item covers a multitude of things. some quite innocent ,everyday items and as i say it boils down to the guy on the beat ,and his perseption of a person

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Wow.........I leave the computer for a wee while and..............Thanks for all your responces.
I work as a builder and need a knife often, but why do you need it in a pouch on your belt, says the officer, if I cannot think of a good reason quickly and convincingly, I am arrested.
I am a bushcrafter and I have a pukko on my belt, while in the woods, when I cross a footpath, where I bump into an off duty officer walking his dog, who incidentely, has just had a row with the Mrs and then spots my knife. If I cannot come up with a good reason for carrying it, arrested again.
I am no good in situations like that. If someone challanged me, I would make goldfish impersinations at them. Yes Martyn you are right I am looking for a get out of jail free card, but more than that, I started this thread to ask for any reasons that people may of used when confronted by the law, so that I could have a bit more experience and confidence, when (if ever) approached by the law myself.
I am glad I started this thread though as I have learnt a lot from it, and I thank you all................Jon

running bare said:
you got me wrong im not raging against the machine. just the fact that laws can be contradictory and as we have all assumed they are aimed at knives but as pointed out any item covers a multitude of things. some quite innocent ,everyday items and as i say it boils down to the guy on the beat ,and his perseption of a person

Exactly,if your as high as a kite and waving a knife around the police will most likely spray you with CS and take you down.

The police usually stop and search people who are known too them i.e. scroates (criminals.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jon Pickett said:
Wow.........I leave the computer for a wee while and..............Thanks for all your responces.
I work as a builder and need a knife often, but why do you need it in a pouch on your belt, says the officer, if I cannot think of a good reason quickly and convincingly, I am arrested.
I am a bushcrafter and I have a pukko on my belt, while in the woods, when I cross a footpath, where I bump into an off duty officer walking his dog, who incidentely, has just had a row with the Mrs and then spots my knife. If I cannot come up with a good reason for carrying it, arrested again.
I am no good in situations like that. If someone challanged me, I would make goldfish impersinations at them. Yes Martyn you are right I am looking for a get out of jail free card, but more than that, I started this thread to ask for any reasons that people may of used when confronted by the law, so that I could have a bit more experience and confidence, when (if ever) approached by the law myself.
I am glad I started this thread though as I have learnt a lot from it, and I thank you all................Jon

It's dead simple Jon.

First of all, remember that a police officer needs a good reason to suspect you are a criminal before they stop you. They cant just search you because they feel like it.

Then remember, if you actually are using the knife for something, work or whatever. You probably have a good reason. Tell the cop and all will be well.

If you dont have a reason for having the knife, then dont carry one. It's illegal.

Or, carry one that is allowed by law, a sub 3" folding knife that doesnt lock.

Lastly, be sensible. Never carry any knife into volatile and risky situations or large public gatherings, such as pubs, nightclubs, football matches etc. Such situations increase your likelyhood of being arrested for posession of an offensive weapon, regardless of how long the blade is, or whether or not it has a lock.

Do all that and you should have nothing to worry about.

But if you ignore that and want to carry a lock knife or fixed blade, just because you feel like it and wherever you feel like it ...well you are on your own. You are choosing to break the law and you must take your chances. There are no convenient excuses. Cops are not thick, they will see straight through some half-baked excuse and arrest you regardless. If you fail to convince the court, you'll be looking at 2 years. Your choice.

My advice? Carry a knife when you have a good need for one, leave it at home when you dont. If you cant think of a good reason, then you havent got one.

Basically that's the law. Whether or not you choose to abide by it, is up to you. On the whole, I think most of it is sensible. The only part I have any real problems with is the Harris ruling regarding lock knives.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Wayland said:
And Vikings with long hair apparently.

Yeah, that too. People (all people, not just cops) make all sorts of generalisations about skin colour, hair length, clothing, accent, tattoos etc. But that is a different argument.

businessmen wear suits to look the part. It probably shouldnt be, but you can minimise attention by adjusting your appearance. You may not want to of course, and in a fair world you shouldnt have to, but it is an option and it's not a fair world.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stu,

Judging from Waylands website - yup :).

"Hey officer - I can't fit me chopper in your amnesty bin" :lmao:

eastern_viking.jpg

Sorry Wayland - as a bloke whose hair used to make yours look like a crewcut I know where you are coming from mate :rolleyes: . Try getting a gold Amex card - that really freaks em out in shops (only got one to mess with their heads - fun though)

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Martyn said:
Yeah, that too. People (all people, not just cops) make all sorts of generalisations about skin colour, hair length, clothing, accent, tattoos etc. But that is a different argument.

businessmen wear suits to look the part. It probably shouldnt be, but you can minimise attention by adjusting your appearance. You may not want to of course, and in a fair world you shouldnt have to, but it is an option and it's not a fair world.

Or of course you could stand up to bigots (or in the case of Rosa Parkes sit down to them)

Is it nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take up arms, and by opposing, end them?

Red

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
British Red said:
Or of course you could stand up to bigots (or in the case of Rosa Parkes sit down to them)

Is it nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take up arms, and by opposing, end them?

Red

...you could, but if you do, best not to be carrying a knife illegally eh? Unless you want to carry your noble stand through to an appearance in court. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE