Real coffee making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2012
essex
Hi guys and girls. What do you use to make a nice mug of real coffee. I have been looking around but dont want some heavy metal maker. something like a plastic permanent filter like you get in cheap coffee makers would do but small to fit in a mug. coffee bags are a no, like a good coffee. thanks

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Lyons coffee bags, like tea bags but with real ground coffee. They aren't too bad. But I just prefer kenco millicano.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I mostly drink cowboy coffee on canoe trips, nasty 3in1 for hiking.

The Gsi Dukjug and H2j0 filter makes a cracking brew, quite compact if you carry a 1L bottle anyway. There's a few filters which just stand in the top of your mug, Ortlieb make one I think, there's the Java Drip and a mugmate. The paper cones work okay if you put one decent fold in to hold it's shape better, just stick it in the top of your mug and pour the water through.

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Hi there, just try getting a small tea infuser with a fine mesh, add you favourite coffee hang in your cup or Billy and there you go. There is a video called cowboy coffee I think, that's where I got the idea and it works great.

Jan 15, 2012
essex

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
i got me one of these and cut the handle off - works a treat

l_SC5120.jpg

Loads available online, just search for cafetiere mug
[h=1][/h]

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Is the top part the filter Steve, can you just put that on top of any pot?

Yes... it's in 3 parts

You have the outer with an inbuilt ss mesh filter, you put your coffee there then put the 'trickle' filter in and fill that with hot water and you've got the lid which doubles as a drip tray to put the filter on :)

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
I mostly drink cowboy coffee on canoe trips, nasty 3in1 for hiking.

The Gsi Dukjug and H2j0 filter makes a cracking brew, quite compact if you carry a 1L bottle anyway. There's a few filters which just stand in the top of your mug, Ortlieb make one I think, there's the Java Drip and a mugmate. The paper cones work okay if you put one decent fold in to hold it's shape better, just stick it in the top of your mug and pour the water through.

Is that cowboy coffee 3 parts Arbuckles and 1 part egg shells.

Topknot

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Thank you Kepis, that just the right size, lose a bit at the bottom and fill it 15mm to the top and your get about 300ml of coffee. I will get one of these filter mugs, i need a new mug, after looking in my rucksack at my camping gear what i havent used in about 11 years i have 2 mess tins 1 old flask cup and a big metal non-stick coated mug i got from survival aids back in the 80s. think one of these will be good :eek:) thanks everyone for all your help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE