Re handling a couple of axes.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I re handled a couple of axes recently, The first one up is a Brades handled in ash again, after missing a badly aimed whack to a log, I took a small piece out of the old handle.
Nice grain on the wood, It's 41 centimetres long, this axe weighs 2.5 pounds.
Rehandle004.jpg

Next up is an unknown make but very handy size for taking on the trail.
Was handled in beech but I fancied a change, so now it sports an apple handle, it was a right bu**er to carve as the wood was well seasoned, a few knarly bits to it but I like it.
Hope you enjoy looking.
Rehandle001.jpg

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
HillBill mate, the grain is nice, I split a piece of ash into two and made two handles the same, I now have a spare.
Silverhill mate, It is a good good chopper, I do take it out with me to rough out spoons and suchlike, it is a nice weight, not more that a pound and a half, it also is razor sharp as is the Brades.
Cheers guys.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Rockmonkey mate, that ash is from the log that I picked up on our last bimble together.
Now you know why I took my time choosing a log from the large pile, quality mate.
I got a bit of grime on the handle near the head this is going to be cleaned off in a few minutes.
See you Wednesday.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That looks really young and fresh, really like the playful touch the grain adds to it.
really nice shapes and form, hope they will serve you well for many years to come
Yours sincerely Ruud

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks Ruud, I cleaned to handle of dirt and used the axe yesterday to rough out another axe handle from some laburnum that I have, I rescued the laburnum from the log pile at the last Sussex meet, it got put in the pile by mistake, lucky me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE