Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

Alex Thorneycroft-Taylor

Don't doubt what you can do!

Two years ago I got Vinnie Jones to be president of the National Organisation of Beaters & Pickers Up.

I am fairly experienced in this sector, and would be happy to track him down and see what I can do!

A

I think an awful lot of folk idolise Ray Mears, I've said it before so I won't say it again except this...

I really like RM although I think he comes across as quite full of himself at times yet at others he shows a remarkable humility and I love that side to the guy. He shows a wonderful phillosophy of working at one with nature. And I agree he has done to bushcraft what Attenborough did for wildlife on the telly. Remarkable really.

However, there are an awful lot of really knowledgable folk on this website that I'd like to see on telly or meet and learn from first and foremost before RM. You guys and ladies out there who have created this wonderful site, this oracle of living knowledge, this is living heritage in the making that we all should be proud of. You know who you are! :You_Rock_

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
w00dsmoke said:
I think an awful lot of folk idolise Ray Mears, I've said it before so I won't say it again except this...

I really like RM although I think he comes across as quite full of himself at times .

I have to disagree Ray is the most down to earth person on tv.
he seems to love to teach. Full of himself no way.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Cracking idea woodsmoke,

do you remember a series that was on tv called 'Tricks of the Trade'? Basically it was a 5 or 10 minute show on once a week and featured people from all different walks of life; mechanics, cleaners, upholsterers, cooks, butchers, bakers (no candlestick makers though, shame really) who gave out nuggets of information, tricks of the trade so to speak (wonder where they got the title from?) along with little demo's. It was priceless. If a production company asked some BCUK members to come along and discuss ideas, i for one would buy the DVD.

Imagine being able to get your hands on 'Rapidboy', 'British Red', 'Topknot' or 'Spamel' any time you want! (we could even get 'May Rears' on in a white driving suit and helmet) ;)

Anyway, to come clean and put the conspiracy theories to bed once and for all

I'm Ray Mears...........and so is my wife! :notworthy

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
It's a shame that people didn't get to hear him talk at Birmingham.

How about a moderated 'live chat' (not sure if it could be hosted at this forum
but I'm sure there are plenty of free alternatives) where all questions are sent
to a moderator and so pre-selected rather than a frantic free for all with
cheeky comments and irrelevant questions.

My other suggestions include a podcast and a talk at the Darwin Centre
or Dana centre where they are geared up for live internet feed. I've been
to two at the Darwin and my parents spotted me in the audience via the
internet which was quite entertaining.

Also the Royal Society record their lectures - there's one of David Attenborough
I think. For those sorts of talks they have to open up an overspill room and
you get to watch it 'live' on the telly! I saw geneticist Steve Jones give a really
interesting talk in the room above me - on human evolution and the evolution
of language.

Sorry I waffled on a bit there :)

H

Heathenpeddler

Jedadiah said:
I'm Ray Mears...........and so is my wife! :notworthy

"Welease Way Meaahs, the Bushcwaftah!"

But, seriously. Isn't Mors on here? Isn't he in the same league as RM just from books not tv? Has Mors had thousands of PM's? Perhaps we could disable the pm's for him if they became a problem?

HP - a problem for every solution!

(Did I get that the right way round? )

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Who is this Ray Mears you're talking about?

Is he from one of those awful reality shows? That would explain my ignorance I suppose...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Mears on line? I can understand the difficulty: the electronic avalanche that would engulf him would cause both him and his computer to crash. Why does he not put in an appearance at the Wilderness Gathering? The bushcrafty-enthusiastic crowd there would no doubt love to see him and hear him talk.

Personally, I am indebted to the man. He introduced me to this whole field of interest. My life would be significantly poorer without his input. I do find that some of his philosophising on telly occasionally sits at odds with the man himself and the practical skills on which he rests his considerable reputation. He is undeniably passionate about nature and the natural world generally, is also a very good teacher, leading by example, but philosophy? Best left to the French...

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
I suspect that, although he is happy to stand up and give lectures and the like, Ray Mears simply can't handle big crowds of people. Invitations to mingle and press the flesh probably scare the bejeezus out of him.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Rather than a 'live' link-up, why can't we have a kind of interview where the members of BushcraftUK.com can each submit one question to ask.

We then let Tony decide (it's his train set, isn't it? :D ) which, say, ten questions to ask. Or we could pull them out of a hat.

They are then posed to Mr Mears. He answers. Tony prints the answers. Everybody happy. Totally fair system.

Would that work? :naughty:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Mikey P said:
Rather than a 'live' link-up, why can't we have a kind of interview where the members of BushcraftUK.com can each submit one question to ask.

Would that work? :naughty:
Yep :) Mind you that could be done for the magazine too.
Assuming that whoever we want to interview wants to be interviewed that is!

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Sorry just looked on wikipedia under the edit page and they removed the fact that someone put he eats Mc donalds happy meals in the bush.

Has anyone read "Ray Mears Bushcraft survival" he does actually say he ate a Big mac when he was going to vistit the yekuana There was a Mc donalds on the border of a mainly uncharted forest the size of australia.

Is it me or did anyone else wonder why he didnt get a muffin out of starbucks there much better and theres gotta be one there.

But really how can there be a Mc Donalds there are they trying to make it so no matter where you are on the world you are always like 20 mins from a Mc donalds.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
spamel said:
So McDonalds, Starbucks and rats will have something in common: You're never more than 10 meters from one!!

:lmao:

Interestingly not in Bermuda. I was there late last year and the government has refused to let McDonalds or Burger King on the island. They allowed KFC though because Fried Chicken is so Bermudian :eek:

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
What did Ray do before his TV career? If Wikipedia is right, Woodlore opened in 1983 when he was 19, first TV appearance in 1993 when he was 29. Did he just run the Woodlore School or was there something else in those 10 years? You're gonna say who cares, right, I know, but I was just curious.

mikesknives

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
cornwall
mayfly said:
What did Ray do before his TV career? If Wikipedia is right, Woodlore opened in 1983 when he was 19, first TV appearance in 1993 when he was 29. Did he just run the Woodlore School or was there something else in those 10 years? You're gonna say who cares, right, I know, but I was just curious.

walked across Africa with his ex-girlfriend!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE