Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
seeing as many of us were dissapointed about missing the man himself at the outdoors show, does anyone have any idea how we could invite him on to this site? im sure hes never far from internet access and it would be nice to hear what he has to say or just to get a how d'ya do!, maybe the powers that be from this web site could make him a honorary member?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Its a great idea BB,
But could you imagine the avalanche of requests he'd get for information on the most trivial of subjects. Better I think, to believe that he has an occasional look through our ramblings, and picks up small indications as to what the "Viewing Public" want to see in his programs and books. That said, a guest appearance would go a long way to showing that he's as human as the reast of us.

Ogri the trog

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
to be honest i think some people here may have already put him off by calling him chubby etc :(
leon

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
On other groups celebs are often lurkers who sometimes post (when they can, as they dont have the free time that we take for granted)

I bet hes around under an assumed name

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Maybe not on the forum, but how about a lecture somewhere central to UK open to members of this forum plus friends. Bet we'd pack out quite a big venue and make it worth his while? Probably need to set this up many months or even years in advance, but anyone know him well enough to make a tentative approach?

Chris

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I think that we should all take it as read that Woodlore, and most of the other schools, pay close attention to what's being said on BCUK. I'm sure it's partly to give them some idea of what the target audience are interested in.....

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
This could turn into another of life's great mysteries........

1, What is Ray Mear's screen name on BCUK?
2, Who is the stig?

The pyramids, stonehenge, easter island, loch ness monster all pale into insignificance next to these two questions!

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
The reason for the mystery of the Stig is that it is in fact several different drivers. Maybe Ray has several identities here to confuse us?

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Ogri the trog said:
Its a great idea BB,
But could you imagine the avalanche of requests he'd get for information on the most trivial of subjects. Better I think, to believe that he has an occasional look through our ramblings, and picks up small indications as to what the "Viewing Public" want to see in his programs and books. That said, a guest appearance would go a long way to showing that he's as human as the reast of us.

Ogri the trog

Ray Mears isnt human. They assembled him at Woodlore piece by piece out body parts lopped off by students learning knife and axe use. :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spikey DaPikey said:
Met them both, its not them ;) :D
I just wish I had half that mans knowledge.

For all the British "celebrity knocking thing", I for one am profoundly grateful to the man. Things I have found fascinating for ages are now understood and accepted by most people as a result of Ray. When I describe my hobbies "oh - kind of Ray Mears stuff" is the usual response. The heightened awareness of the interest has provided me access to so many sites (this chief amongst many) and as a result allowed me to get to know many supremely interesting and educational people. I will never have the skill or depth of knowledge of Ray - plus I've yet to see him roast coffee on a fire ;) but I for one, if he ever does come on here, would like to say

Thanks Fellah - few people's net contribution is wholly positive - you count amongst them!

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
As much grief as he gets from folk on here for his waistline, and I've took the mickey a bit myself, I rate him as the top guy on telly alongside David Attenborough and will turn most things off to watch him. He has done loads to bring bushcraft and outdoor skills to the general public and he cannot be faulted for that.

When I explain what I do, I too tend to say Mearsy type stuff. People think I eat twig and leaf soup and other wierd stuff, but they get a general idea. I wish we could get afew more decent guys on TV like Mors for instance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE