Ray mears or ed stafford?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Bruce Parry. What a fantastic series that was. An actual likeable pleasurable and naturally trustworthy, presentable and open appearing man. He just disappeared after that series and it was groundbreaking and brilliant.
Bruce Parry does talks, lectures and campaigns for indigenous peoples and cultures. He made a film in 2018 ‘Tawai - A voice from the forest.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Well considering the amount of posts, it’s one of the most replied to threads in recent days since Poppy’s ridiculous cheese threads.
Yeah but the cheese thread considered some of the real and important issues facing mankind today.

Surely that's a question to be asked of these tv peeps?

So, Ray, after you'd been given the all clear in hospital after the helicopter crash. What cheese did you most hanker after. With damper of choice?

Tell me Ed, after you reached the mouth of the Amazon, having walked it's entire length. I bet you just wanted a big lump of mature cheddar and a cold cider eh? Which would those be please?

Mr Grylls, I understand you're partial to a fine claret? Would you care to tell us your favourite cheese pairing for a 1986 St Emilion?

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Bruce Parry does talks, lectures and campaigns for indigenous peoples and cultures. He made a film in 2018 ‘Tawai - A voice from the forest.
I'm a big fan of Bruce Parry.

For me he's most comparable to RM in his respect for indigenous people.
Yes I know I'm going off on a tangent, a bit.

You only have to watch RM staying with the Hadza to begin to understand his love and respect for them, their culture and their generations of handed-down skills and knowledge.

Bruce Parry doesn't claim to have any "survival skills". But I bet he knows a thing or two. He's not a massive show off. He's more curious about humanity. He's spent years around the world with indigenous peoples.

I think, all these people discussed, have their place on a screen for different and very subjective reasons. They all have their own motivations for being there in the first place too.

Few of us will have the privilege of staying with indigenous people.
There's an ethical debate, for me, about white men with cameras visiting them (which could occupy another thread entirely), But done correctly it raises awareness rather than exploits.
Which is a tricky line to walk.

For me, I think we need education as well as entertainment.

But as I say. It's very subjective. One thing this forum is never short of is opinions. How boring would life be if it wasn't?

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Brizzlebush:

Your comment about white men with cameras reminds of the guy from Mali who turns to camera and says," We're just a normal Malian household. Husband, two wives, four kids and an anthopologist."

As to the debate, I agree that Bruce Parry and Ray Mears are both commendable for the respect they show towards the people they visit. A common factor of both is an understanding that learning is a two way process, just as respect is. Both also have a respect for the natural world, which I find lacking in Grylls and Stafford who seem to espouse and outdated view that Nature is a force to be overcome.

Strange that there is no mention of Paul Kirtley. He seems to me to embody all the virtues and is the one I'd like to share time in the wilderness with.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Brizzlebush:

Your comment about white men with cameras reminds of the guy from Mali who turns to camera and says," We're just a normal Malian household. Husband, two wives, four kids and an anthopologist."

As to the debate, I agree that Bruce Parry and Ray Mears are both commendable for the respect they show towards the people they visit. A common factor of both is an understanding that learning is a two way process, just as respect is. Both also have a respect for the natural world, which I find lacking in Grylls and Stafford who seem to espouse and outdated view that Nature is a force to be overcome.

Strange that there is no mention of Paul Kirtley. He seems to me to embody all the virtues and is the one I'd like to share time in the wilderness with.

Just a thought - maybe that perception is due to the show type?

Both Bear and Stafford have a show premise that is based upon them surviving and escaping from a situation/scenario.

( Tangent thought - Cody Lundin in the dual survivor show had a similar 'escape' task but to me has always come across as being understanding and sympathetic to his surroundings )

Mears and Parry as far as i'm aware have never had a show ( have they? ) where they are tasked in the same way with an Escape scenario?

I only mention it as maybe Bear , if you remove the premise of the show , is a different person in approach and nature?

Reactions: Spirit fish

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
At the risk of being impolite I'd say you never know whether RM will be the biggest series by series. If you know what I mean.

The one thing I will say about RM and BG is that they seem very nice guys. I'm not really sure about ES because he's been doing a lot of competitive bushcraft type of programme. I'm wary of people feeling the need to compete or prove they're the best. Especially in bushcraft.
Then there's led Stroud survivorman lol

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
I know John J has won, but we forgot Les Stroud. Hang your heads in shame. Although, he wasn’t very successful in his shows. Hardly caught anything to eat. But it was brilliant TV in that he filmed everything himself. Probably why he didn’t have time to catch food.
he has over 68 episodes I believe he did get food in quite a lot of them but did go on like a ten episode strea k with nothing but that's reality it's hardly a buffet out there :)

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Agreed, he is credible. His TV stuff is fun and massively over the top, but he is accomplished and his mental fortitude is impressive.

One bloke who hasn’t had a mention here that I always loved watching, especially when taking hallucinogenic concoctions and inverting his penis (as is tradition), Bruce Parry. Whatever happened to him?

Agreed, he is credible. His TV stuff is fun and massively over the top, but he is accomplished and his mental fortitude is impressive.

One bloke who hasn’t had a mention here that I always loved watching, especially when taking hallucinogenic concoctions and inverting his penis (as is tradition), Bruce Parry. Whatever happened to him?
Bruce parrys work was epic

Reactions: Athos

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think ES has spent time learning from indigenous tribes too but it's not part of his show format so probably not obvious. I'm sure he's described a technique learnt from xyz tribe as being useful in one of his escapes.

I suspect there is a lot we don't know about RM, ES & BG. We really only have their shows, interviews, books and any kit they've put their name to. What they represent is their career not their full capabilities or knowledge. Even in interviews they're representing their work for promotion purposes.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A marines wannabe vs actual SAS and the wannabe gets the higher hardman roots? Chopper crash or parachute failure at 26,000 feet? One auto grates down the other freefalls. 31% survival rate with chopper crashes but can't find equivalent figure for parachuting. Although he's had the 5th highest survived freefall

Yep, I'm not sure which knife skills they were working on either - I'd go SAS every time if my life depended on it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

I'm not sure I fully agree ;) - having re-watched some of RM's shows, I find his attitude with natives occasionally condescending and patronising - Bruce Parry always humble and learning.

Just me perception.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
I think ES has spent time learning from indigenous tribes too but it's not part of his show format so probably not obvious. I'm sure he's described a technique learnt from xyz tribe as being useful in one of his escapes.

I suspect there is a lot we don't know about RM, ES & BG. We really only have their shows, interviews, books and any kit they've put their name to. What they represent is their career not their full capabilities or knowledge. Even in interviews they're representing their work for promotion purposes.
Australian aboriginals I believe and there concept of the 3 brains they go by there gut ,one of the three brains the other being the heart it's interesting for sure

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah but the cheese thread considered some of the real and important issues facing mankind today.

Surely that's a question to be asked of these tv peeps?

So, Ray, after you'd been given the all clear in hospital after the helicopter crash. What cheese did you most hanker after. With damper of choice?

Tell me Ed, after you reached the mouth of the Amazon, having walked it's entire length. I bet you just wanted a big lump of mature cheddar and a cold cider eh? Which would those be please?

Mr Grylls, I understand you're partial to a fine claret? Would you care to tell us your favourite cheese pairing for a 1986 St Emilion?
Brilliant.

Reactions: PoppyD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE