Ray Mears Nanok Osprey Sleeping Bag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bivibish

Jun 24, 2010
Scotland
Hi i was looking to get one of rays osprey bags but was a bit wary , i was wanting to know how roomy they are inside , i have the dutch army centre zip bag which is huge inside , but as i am 6'3 with a 44" chest i was worried that it might be a bit tight , any thoughts would be welcome

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
One thing. I -- and others -- have had problems with rought feet messing up the inner fabric of their bags. Got a "non-reply" from Woodlore; (sorry to hear, only one more person has complained about it...). My plan is to find some suitable fabric and sewing a "footbucket" that will be permanently attached to the bag. Silly that it should be needed, but there you are.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
One thing. I -- and others -- have had problems with rought feet messing up the inner fabric of their bags. Got a "non-reply" from Woodlore; (sorry to hear, only one more person has complained about it...). My plan is to find some suitable fabric and sewing a "footbucket" that will be permanently attached to the bag. Silly that it should be needed, but there you are.

Why dont you use a silk liner?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Got a "non-reply" from Woodlore; (sorry to hear, only one more person has complained about it...). My plan is to find some suitable fabric and sewing a "footbucket" that will be permanently attached to the bag..."

I didn't complain to Woodlore about it but the fabric at the base of my bags has also been roughed up (although there is no sign of it actually wearing through). I also have a couple of Nanok bags which come with a detachable 'foot bucket' for those who need to sleep with their boots on. So I could use those or simply put my feet into a cut down rubble bag if I felt the need.

:)

Last edited:

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I have the golden eagle and my mate has the Canada Jay and if the osprey is the same, which it should be then these bags are massive, I'm not the smallest of chaps and i am very comfy in the bag and do not feel claustrophobic at all even when fully zipped in, there is room to lie on your back and you could probably read a book in the bag with the excess room.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Why dont you use a silk liner?

Sure, but I find that all liners I've tried feel like a bother. It is the only sleeping bag I've ever owned that did that. I have an old down bag that is over 30 years old, and while much of the down is absent these days it is in fine condition otherwise. And the 15 years ol Anguliaq bad is also in good nick. I like the design specs of the Woodlore bags, except for that one aspect.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I decided to add on to this thread rather than start a new one. Does anyone know if the zip on the Osprey is a burst open type like on the British Army Arctic bag? Can anyone compare the warmth and the materials to the British Army Arctic bag?

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I decided to add on to this thread rather than start a new one. Does anyone know if the zip on the Osprey is a burst open type like on the British Army Arctic bag? Can anyone compare the warmth and the materials to the British Army Arctic bag?

Might be being stupid here but by burst open do you mean you can just pull the sides of the bag and it will open? If so then yes it will.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Might be being stupid here but by burst open do you mean you can just pull the sides of the bag and it will open? If so then yes it will.
Yes, that's what I meant, thank you. It is a feature I really like with the army bag, but I find the army bag far to warm in temperatures over 10c, and I am a cold sleeper, to be comfortable I need to add at least 5-8c to a bags comfort level.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE