Ray Mears Goes Walkabout - Your Views

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Beauty is culturally and racially defined - we tend to like people of our own race. JuJu has the fine appearance of a native australian aborigene and for once, wasnt called Isabelle. (is it me or are nearly all the old aborigene women called Isabelle?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Honestly,and I really mean no offence at all believe me,but your joking right??? I mean I aint no Brad Pitt or anything of that I am 100 percent aware but easy on the eye she was not.Lovely person sure enough.

Honestly! One track mind????:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was not talking about the physical beauty in the sense of looking at, say, Kate Moss, or someone like her, and I suspect Red wasn't either.

Look at these portraits
:
Can't you see beauty there?

sanbushmansmiling.jpg

portraitofanoldman.jpg

What these people could tell of life...and it's the same with JuJu.

No doubt there will be funny jokes coming up soon.:cool:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was talking about physical beauty and I think you have demonstrated the point wonderfully Jojo. There is, I feel, a huge difference between beauty (something that is pleasing to the eye) and sexual attraction. Surely we can all see beauty in experience, a twinkling eye etc.

If beauty is as simple as a sexual attraction then a child cannot or should not be beautiful - thats nonsense! So if a child can be beautiful so can any person who is not sexually attractive but has a pleasing attractictive face, look whatever.

There are many faces and people I would love to photograph because I find them beautiful - I don't want to sleep with them but I do find them beautiful. The faces you illustrate Jojo are classic examples of that - as is a laughing child. I know an old farmers wife (Margaret) who Chanel were never going to have as the next "face" but in every line and wrinkle and the twinkling blue eyes there was real beauty.

Maybe its the photographer in me talking

Red

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Some very valid points made by jojo and British Red above I think - in the west we are all too wrapped in notions of conventional 'beauty' and torment ourselves in trying to conform to ideal which is often unachievable. As such, we should all learn to be more accepting of more subjective standards of what is 'beautiful'. That being said though, who wants to sleep with a bird with a face like the proverbial 'workmans' bench'?:)

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Some very valid points made by jojo and British Red above I think - in the west we are all too wrapped in notions of conventional 'beauty' and torment ourselves in trying to conform to ideal which is often unachievable. As such, we should all learn to be more accepting of more subjective standards of what is 'beautiful'. That being said though, who wants to sleep with a bird with a face like the proverbial 'workmans' bench'?:)
I'll go along with that Aaron!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have seen beauty in knives - woudn't want my todger too close to them either!
I find those portraits beautiful too - no sexual element in it.
Beauty - sexual attraction - different things.
Love and lust - different things.
I realy enjoyed the series as well!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
The problem with all these comments on someone's appearance is that the Internet is such a public place. Much being said here would be very hurtful to the person being discussed and personally I don't think it should be said.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
i didn't watch it last night! Shock, I know, but I actually forgot. maybe that says something of the standard of this series, but there you go.

Personally I think the standard has been very high - albeit with a few qualms over the dodgy music in episode 2 and the split-screen malarky. I can't see how anybody with any intellectual curiosity regarding indiginous peoples, natural history or the history of exploration could fail to be impressed.

I think people should judge the series for what it is - a series of programmes about the Australian bush - rather than what it isn't.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Personally I think the standard has been very high - albeit with a few qualms over the dodgy music in episode 2 and the split-screen malarky. I can't see how anybody with any intellectual curiosity regarding indiginous peoples, natural history or the history of exploration could fail to be impressed.

I think people should judge the series for what it is - a series of programmes about the Australian bush - rather than what it isn't.

Totally agree with every word there mate! Well, apart from 'the dodgy music' as that didn't bug me but otherwise, yes :)

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I'm just waiting for the inevitable "What's that torch Ray was using?" thread. I bet we see it within the week.

I'll save people the hassle...it's a Surefire off his website

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/592-E1L-Outdoorsman-Torch

:D :D :D

Seriously i enjoyed the series as i do most of his work/programs.
Agreed i would prefer to see more UK based stuff but as we are only a small audience and can't get the BBC to release Tracks and World of Survival what chance is there of that?

Overall though, a good series and enjoyed by both my wife and myself.

More please Ray!:notworthy

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
'it is a perfect flashlight for all outdoor enthusiasts' who no longer wish to have night-vision or any pocket-money left.

I've really enjoyed the series. However, for all his skills and knowledge I'm starting to see Mr. Mears as the ultimate gear-geek and I'm finding the level of cross-promotion/ product placement between TV, book and Woodlore quite cynical.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE