Ray mears boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smokyjoe

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
london
On one of the extreme survival series uncle Ray breaks his favorite pair of boots by walking through the desert, these boots look very soft and comfy. They are a light brown with white sole. There is also a pic in the essential bushcraft book, does any know what make of boots these are and where can one buy a pair. Links would help

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I beleve they were made by a company in Namibia called Artco. As for places to purchace there were several shops in Swakopmund that had them in stock.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just looked at kudu skin boots/safari boots which were everyday wear in Rhodesia many years ago:red: Flip my boots, when did they shoot up in price!

sakotrg

Aug 25, 2010
Aberdeen
Spent 3 weeks in South Africa over the Christmas period.
Visited quite a few stores on route and never found a single pair of Rogue boots on sale, plenty of Rogue hats and belts but no boots.
One of the biggest outfitters in RSA is Safari and Outdoor and again no Rogues but plenty of Courteneys, did strike me as rather strange as Rogues are made in RSA and Courteneys are from Mozambique. On the few occassions I questioned why no Rogue boots I got a simple we dont stock them.
Plenty of Rogue boots on Ray Mears site though.
Personally I will stick with the Courteneys, not cheap but very comfortable and sometimes you do get what you pay for.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I have Courteneys, rogues and Arctos.....
The Rogues are very wide and the Arctos wider still imho. The Courteneys are built on a Clarks last and you can fairly easily judge how they will fit. More importantly they are the best boot for the African bush as they resist thorns the best (I have the rogue bellies so that is what I am comparing to). Both have soles that resist acacia thorns. The Arctos work in soft sandy country.
None work well in steep or rocky country, where a slightly stiffer sole, even like a Magnum desert boot would be better. all three have very flexible soles.

smokyjoe

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
london
I have Courteneys, rogues and Arctos.....
The Rogues are very wide and the Arctos wider still imho. The Courteneys are built on a Clarks last and you can fairly easily judge how they will fit. More importantly they are the best boot for the African bush as they resist thorns the best (I have the rogue bellies so that is what I am comparing to). Both have soles that resist acacia thorns. The Arctos work in soft sandy country.
None work well in steep or rocky country, where a slightly stiffer sole, even like a Magnum desert boot would be better. all three have very flexible soles.

Where did you buy your arctos ??

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Hi .... Sorry for the delay. It was arcto.iway.na
I don't know about any restrictions importing them to UK, as mentioned by other posters. The skins will all come from cul animals from Cape Cross etc.
cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE