Ray Mears/Allan Wood Antler handled Instructors Knife Auction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thats how I rationalise it, if you had to pay out for ad's in newspapers to get the same reach into your particular market, regional, national, international, then the ebay scenario doesnt seem quite so bad. But the ownwer is wellnear the top of the forbes 400 IIRC :rolleyes:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
i also am pi--ed of with the fee's but its all advertising your work, also and when you think about it, how much would it cost to get that sort of advertising ?

bernie

On a related subject...

Roughtly how many man hours would it take you to make a comparable knife?
I am not buying by the way, just interested.
I could be a long way far of the mark but I get the idea that the amount of people who make these items as a hobby drives the prices down somewhat.
Well thats bearing in mind the fact that you would struggle to get a plumber working for less than £20 per hour is what people tell me is right.

Considering the amount of press this has already got, I thought I'd point out that it was finally auctioned with a 99p starting price that finished yesterday, at £720 + £8.50 p&p.

By my calculations (taking all the fees into accout) that means she's lost over £700 :yikes:

Regarding profiteering, Woodlore have brought out a limited edition version of the Woodlore Knife to commemorate their 25th Anniversary. Only 250 of these will be made throughout the year by Julius Pettersson, hand forged in a traditional Swedish manner. Woodlore sold the first batch for £295 + £10 p&p to the lucky few who managed to find out about them before they'd all been grabbed. The first to be auctioned on ebay closed on New Years Eve for a massive £875 + £9.50 p&p making the purchaser a tidy profit of over £500 (taking the fees into account). Not a bad way to celebrate New Year (for the seller). I guess we'll just have to wait & see how Woodlore respond in their pricing of the next batch to come up for sale.

Personally, I've got a bog standard Woodlore that's great - I use it regularly and it'll never be up for sale - I bought it to use it after saving for some 3 years to get it, nevermind being on the waiting list for another 18 months.

At the end of the day we all buy kit we can afford, if we're happy to pay the asking price - on occasion we may feel it's a bit on the steep side - other times we can enjoy the feeling that we've scooped a bargain. Market forces generally show that as demand exceeds availability prices go up (and that may be for a type of product / from a particular supplier / for a particular model). Similarly such a trend will attract more suppliers to provide the product redressing the balance & hence prices will drop as availability exceeds demand. So you could say it's all down to how long you can wait for your 'bargain', how much you can afford to spend, and how many opportunities you'll miss out on, not using it because you're waiting to save a few quid here or there.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That 25 woodlore was relisted with a buy it now of 850, I reckon the seller was probably messed about by the winning bidder. It is amazing that the 25th Woody went for a higher price than the much rarer Instructor Woodlore. It just goes to show how mad eBay really is. I feel slightly sorry for the girl losing that much money, it is a ridiculous amount to lose in such a short time. Saying that, she paid IMO a ridiculous sum for it so that's life.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I dunno, she listed the knife three times, apparently she got personal emails that weren't nice. Saying that, if it was me I'd have said stuff 'em, it's not as if she'll meet any of the people who emailed her! At first, I had my doubts about her sale, but now I feel slightly sorry for her.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I believe she bought it for her boyfriend and then split up with him so sold the knife.
If any of us had any sense we would be steaming in there, can't see my lass forking out £1500 on a new knife for me .:rolleyes:
She sounds like one in a million :D

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
No wonder if she spends like that :rolleyes:

I usually consider a Woodlore to be a good buy.
A good clean knife at anything up to £350 maybe even £400 should be a safe buy.
You can use it and sell it on with loosing much if anything and maybe even making some money.
Your buying a lot more than a piece of 01 and some wood with a genuine woodlore but at the end of the day the RM / AW connection can only take you so far.
I appreciate the knife in question is very rare and that has a certain value but the original price was down to the charity auction and it was really asking too much to get that back when she sold it.
I think she did pretty well getting what she got for it in the end, at that sort of money you can buy come VERY nice cutlery.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think she did pretty well getting what she got for it in the end, at that sort of money you can buy come VERY nice cutlery.

Now thats an interesting thought - a stu mitchel £1,000 knife - £20 a ticket and bonus ball numbers decide who gets it :D

I'll buy a few tickets:eek:

I'd love to see what he could make for that budget!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE