Ray Mears/Allan Wood Antler handled Instructors Knife Auction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Fifteen hundred quid ....for a bit of ground bar-stock and sambar!!!

The world has gone absolutely bonkers.

That's $3000 dollars. You can buy a truly spectacular, premium knife from a world class maker, made as a one off to your own specifications for that.
Look at what you can get for that kind of money...
http://www.knifeart.com/by-price-2000-up.html

You can even get yerself a genuine edo-period Japanese nihonto (albeit entry level).

Fifteen hundred quid. Good grief.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There's wars, famine, flooding, de-forestation, loss of wildlife habitat and general nastyness going on in the world, why should I give a toss about someone wanting to make a lousy 200 quid profit after forking out £1300 to charity?

That scores a grand total of 0.1 on my giveatossometer.

leon-1

There's wars, famine, flooding, de-forestation, loss of wildlife habitat and general nastyness going on in the world, why should I give a toss about someone wanting to make a lousy 200 quid profit after forking out £1300 to charity?

That scores a grand total of 0.1 on my giveatossometer.

Just a point to make, but what about family friendly forum don't you understand.

It is not just you, there has been a lot of it recently, but this is Christmas and a time for families.

I was the one that raised the subject of making a profit, because I thought it was immoral, but that is me and everyone has a right to their point of view. The lady has stated that she didn't know it was bought for a charitable cause (I don't know how, it was in the first line of Woody's description).

So she didn't know it was for charity and as such has not donated £1300 pounds to charity.

The person that donated the knife is the person donating money to charity and nobody else in this scenario.

Paganwolf said:
OK So she buys it for 1300 quid, that goes to charity, ok great:) , now she puts it on evilbay, for more than she paid for it to make a profit ok great too:) ...... so HOW IS THAT OUT OF ORDER IF SOME NUMPTY BUYS IT:confused: ? good greif, she gave 1300 quid to charity now some are giving her grief in some kind of witch hunt! If that wasnt enough why didnt "you the ones moaning about it" out bid her? give me a break guys for goodness sake some of you need to come into the real world. So your telling me that you've never sold anything for a profit:confused: I dispair sometimes :tapedshut .............................. .

JP, you know me, If I had the funds to spend on it at the time I would have, not because it is a "Limited edition Woodlore". Because I don't like the knife, but because it was for a charitable cause that I know about. If that makes me a numpty then fair do's to the numpties of the world and I hope you never have to rely upon them.

As far as the woman giving money to charity, she has already stated that she didn't know or realise that it was going to a charity, so she isn't giving anything to anyone apart from her boyfriend and if you pay £1381 just for a Woodlore then as a personal opinion, you need your bumps read and have a good visit to the funny farm. You know what I mean "Nice white coat, shame about the buckles"

Martyn said:
Fifteen hundred quid ....for a bit of ground bar-stock and sambar!!!

The world has gone absolutely bonkers.

Yes.

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
I have been asked to rehandle quite a few Woodlores in Samber and I have done them, not much if any profit in doing them, done it really for the advert and customer service type of thing:)

Reactions: Dm1995

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
hope you took some pics mick, as we might see one on ebay as one of the 8

bernie

Hello Bernie I think I only took a Pic of one of the Samber ones:) and one that I did in Stabilized wood
Should have kept the original scales and sold em on ebay for a few hundred quid:D

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
So if I am reading this right the fact remains that she paid over £1300 for it in a charity auction, even though she didn't realise it was a charity auction and because of this may well have paid a premium price.

The charity got paid I take it? They got the cash? If they have then what she does with it after purchase is totally upto her.
Then she is wanting to get rid of it and trying to make a profit?

If her price is way too much (I think it is but then again I am a tightwad) then it won't sell, if someone with a surplus of cash wants it bad enough then it will sell.

So? The problem is:confused:

Exactly where does morality come into it? The charity got its cash and its only her who is out of pocket, she wasn't ripped off as the advert clearly stated the terms of the auction.

Baffled of Cumbria.

is she actually going to make a profit ???? if so its not much
bought for £1381 ( if below is correct)

Ebay fees are how much i recon £36.98

Pay pal fees are how much 4% ish so £49,50 (paypal calc)

so sell for £1450 -36.98 - 49.50 = £1363.52 a
Massive Profit of -£17.48

if it wnt for the original £1500 then obviously she would have been rolling in £32.53

WOW definatly profitering :eek:

oh and also take out posting costs not a lot but still a cost others are charging £10 for this

now this is profittering much better margins and no free post
Woody knife

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
is she actually going to make a profit ???? if so its not much
bought for £1381 ( if below is correct)

Ebay fees are how much i recon £36.98

Pay pal fees are how much 4% ish so £49,50 (paypal calc)

so sell for £1450 -36.98 - 49.50 = £1363.52 a
Massive Profit of -£17.48

if it wnt for the original £1500 then obviously she would have been rolling in £32.53

WOW definatly profitering :eek:

oh and also take out posting costs not a lot but still a cost others are charging £10 for this

now this is profittering much better margins and no free post
Woody knife

I wonder if she has done the maths? I bet she hasn't!

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Some poor sods arent even aware of the exact ebay & paypal fee's. It annoys me that both eBay & Paypal take what I consider to be too large a cut considering they're the same bloomin company! Then again I hear auction rooms can be harsh with fees aswell :( grrrr paypal, I hate it but use it all the time :(

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Some poor sods arent even aware of the exact ebay & paypal fee's. It annoys me that both eBay & Paypal take what I consider to be too large a cut considering they're the same bloomin company! Then again I hear auction rooms can be harsh with fees aswell :( grrrr paypal, I hate it but use it all the time :(

That`s just the problem with Paypal, for those of us who use ebay and other online retailers regularly it`s become second nature despite the fees. We all know it`s daylight robbery but it`s "safe" and convenient. It makes me cringe everytime I see the fees come off payments especially when you think how many transactions go through there every day. I refused to use it for a couple of years just out of principle but I`ve slowly given in overtime.

Rich

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
That`s just the problem with Paypal, for those of us who use ebay and other online retailers regularly it`s become second nature despite the fees. We all know it`s daylight robbery but it`s "safe" and convenient. It makes me cringe everytime I see the fees come off payments especially when you think how many transactions go through there every day. I refused to use it for a couple of years just out of principle but I`ve slowly given in overtime.

Rich

i also am pi--ed of with the fee's but its all advertising your work, also and when you think about it, how much would it cost to get that sort of advertising ?

bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE