Ray Mears/Allan Wood Antler handled Instructors Knife Auction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Might be out of order but I just asked the seller via evil bay if she was selling it for a charity or her own gain?:bandit:

personally and i don't want to get into an argument, i think you were perhaps out of order, the knife was purchased by her for just over £1300 which went to charity,would you or anyone else lay out that sort of money for that profit margin ?she may have brought the knife for her boyfriend or something and it went pear shaped so none of us can judge what we don't know,i know something though i'll be buying another aw woodlore and handleing it up in samba you'll all see one of the other seven for sale on there ;)

bernie

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Fair do`s to her I say. If she`s prepared to fork out that much anyway on gift for someone, whether it`s for charity or not, then you can`t knock her for trying to sell it again. Like Bernie said, anything could have happened between her and the intended recipient and she has no obligation to tell anyone about it.
The fact is when she bought it originally, she only caused the price to increase through her part in the bidding and therefore raising more funds for Survival Int. It might upset a few people to see it go back up for sale straight away, but I for one wouldn`t dream of paying that kind of money for a tool so good luck to whoever gets it this time round.

It certainly is a rare piece of Bushcraft memorabilia and Woody knew that when he put it up for sale, it was intended to raise some good money for a worthy cause and it succeeded.

Rich

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
OK So she buys it for 1300 quid, that goes to charity, ok great:) , now she puts it on evilbay, for more than she paid for it to make a profit ok great too:) ...... so HOW IS THAT OUT OF ORDER IF SOME NUMPTY BUYS IT:confused: ? good greif, she gave 1300 quid to charity now some are giving her grief in some kind of witch hunt! If that wasnt enough why didnt "you the ones moaning about it" out bid her? give me a break guys for goodness sake some of you need to come into the real world. So your telling me that you've never sold anything for a profit:confused: I dispair sometimes :tapedshut ...............................

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
The thing to remember is that the last owner paid over a grand to buy this and probably the reason it sold for over a grand was because of the charity aspect. Regardless, the owner is fully entitled to sell it on for profit if they wish at whatever the want to ask for it.

The thing that ****** my radar is the fact that sales of items that start off as charity sales and raising big money invariably get sold on with that price history. It then follows that it guarantees big money in future sales essentially embrionically inflating prices before the ball starts rolling.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I say unlucky to the bloke who was gonna get it, if he had waited till after christmas before getting amongst his girlfriends' best mate he'd have had a nice shiney knife to play with!

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
yeah, what I thought too!.. but wasnt so fired up about it :p So what if someone sell's it on for profit, who cares, it dosent hurt anyone, it has only benefited the charity that got a massive amount in the first place and it will end up with someone who's willing to pay yet another huge amount but who will truly cherish it

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
i promise you - it will not sell, and purely because that starting price will put off everybody - the people who appreciate the history think it is overpriced, as do those who think it's just a knife. and listing it a week before crimbo won't help.
saying that, if £1500 was disposable income for me, i'd buy it. true collectors items such as this will always carry an inflated value - why this always seems to be a shock to people is beyond me. if you are a serious collector of anything, that 'one thing you don't have ' will be the thing you're prepared to shell out the big bucks for.
i have a 7 track metallica cd that i paid £400 for, because i collect metallica cds, and it is the rarest one out there.
anyone who is a collector of anything who says they haven't paid over the odds for one of their collection is a liar.
let's be honest - this knife is rarer then a vegetarian lion, and if money wasn't an issue, we'd all be thinking about it

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Hey guys I did not want to start a heated debate, i just wanted to ask her if she was doing a charity thing.:eek:
she has replied and she was not aware that she bought it for charity purposes. her reply.

"Hi there, I bought this for my then partner directly from the original owner - I'm not aware what he did with the money or whether he sold it 'for his own gain.' As you can see, there is no charity being donated to via this auction."

So thats it for me on this one, I dont want any hard fealings to or from anyone.

P.S. Gorilla, do me a copy of that Metallica CD please! :D

ONLY JOKING!:11doh:

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Really cant see it selling at that price - the blade can be bought new for £250 handled, antler scales I imagine dont cost that much, add abit for the RM connection (standard AW woodlores selling around the £400 ish mark on ebay) and that means you are paying around £1000 for rarity and provinence. Ok some people may - but it was not one of Rays personal knives and outside of this forum and a smallish community it is Ray that is known not his instructors.

I am really pleased it sold for as much as it did for charity and I know value is totally personal with people valuing different things - but I really cant see how its worth the money now asked for.

I will probably now be proved totally wrong in the next 30 mins when bidding ends and it sells :rolleyes:

considering JK roling just sold a one of 7 hand written Book for £2million
and a copy of the magna carta just sold for £10million

its worth what people will pay

it seems she didnt know it was a charity auction and may not entierly know the value of these type of knives so may have thought that the £1300 she payed was normal ish
now stuck with it wants to sell it on and the inflation of the auction due to it being for charity has left her with an expensive paper weight she may not get her money back for

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE