Random question for when the time comes...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
What the best way to sharpen a Bahco Laplander? looking at the teeth, they seem to have 45^ angle/bevel(?) on the teeth, i would assume a file of sorts?

Also, what type of grind is on the Mora Companion 840MG? says "Full flat grind" on Amazon and looking at it, it's looks like > When it comes to sharpening or just touching up, want to make sure i take the right approach to it, I've got a DC4 specially for it, whether or not that makes any difference i don't know lmao

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Personally I don't think the bacho saws are really designed to be sharpened. They take a lot of use before they begin to dull off.

The mora knives have a scandi (scandinavian) grind on them, so just a single beval. The dc4 is fine for touch ups when out and about. But would suggest a set of bench stones such as water stones to get a good finish on it. Then when you are out you will mostly only need to strop the knife on a leather strip to help keep a good edge. Then you'll only need the dc4 for nicks our if out for prolonged durations.

Sure there are heaps of posts on how to sharpen so won't cover that.

Have fun.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah they sell replacement blades for them, but its possible to get a whole new saw for similar price if you shop around.

I've had mine 5+ years, and its still on its first blade, though its becoming an effort to cut through anything decent sized so i think its time for a replacement.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Im on my second laplander blade which has been in for about 2 years and the previous one lasted id say 3 or 4 years. Cracking saws for the money i doupt it would be possible to sharpen them to there original standard though

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
Sorry but you can sharpen most saws, it is just yet another forgotten skill .Lost because saws are now, like most things ,disposable. Once a saw was such a large investment, that if you couldn't sharpen it , you would take it to a saw doctor , who would do it for you.
The Bahco green wood blade come with a symbol and the word 'Fileable' . A modern word , to remind the modern world the obvious.
It's much easier than it sounds, as people who suddenly dare to run a file over their chainsaw blade , do declare! A couple of light strokes on each cutting surface and the jobs a good un!
It's hard to go wrong the first few times, if you are slightly off the angle, it only becomes a problem as the mistake is compounded.
A Bahco blade dulls sometimes with in a month for me, but then its used most days. Therefore even if I was not very accurate , using a file would make sense.
As it happens , I don't use a file anymore. A quick dip in Ferric Chloride does the job. Fantastic, as good as new results in minutes. Brick cleaner might work ( Hydrochloric Acid) but its diluted so would take longer. I use " ferric" to etch out hamons or patterns on Suminagashi, Wrought iron or Damascus steel, but its sold in Maplins for etching circuit boards.
I use my DC4 alot, only resorting back to Japanese waterstones for a major resharpen. I saw one of the third generation ones for the first time, last week, and will no longer be as willing to say " keep it " to someone admiring it.
Good luck and by the way the idea of using ferric on saws wasn't mine ,it came from Chris Grant.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Sorry but you can sharpen most saws, it is just yet another forgotten skill .Lost because saws are now, like most things ,disposable. Once a saw was such a large investment, that if you couldn't sharpen it , you would take it to a saw doctor , who would do it for you.
The Bahco green wood blade come with a symbol and the word 'Fileable' . A modern word , to remind the modern world the obvious.
It's much easier than it sounds, as people who suddenly dare to run a file over their chainsaw blade , do declare! A couple of light strokes on each cutting surface and the jobs a good un!
It's hard to go wrong the first few times, if you are slightly off the angle, it only becomes a problem as the mistake is compounded.
A Bahco blade dulls sometimes with in a month for me, but then its used most days. Therefore even if I was not very accurate , using a file would make sense.
As it happens , I don't use a file anymore. A quick dip in Ferric Chloride does the job. Fantastic, as good as new results in minutes. Brick cleaner might work ( Hydrochloric Acid) but its diluted so would take longer. I use " ferric" to etch out hamons or patterns on Suminagashi, Wrought iron or Damascus steel, but its sold in Maplins for etching circuit boards.
I use my DC4 alot, only resorting back to Japanese waterstones for a major resharpen. I saw one of the third generation ones for the first time, last week, and will no longer be as willing to say " keep it " to someone admiring it.
Good luck and by the way the idea of using ferric on saws wasn't mine ,it came from Chris Grant.

Not a forgoten skill, I sharpen my crosscut, tennon and ripsaws regulary. The problem with modern hardpoint saws, is that you cant set the teeth because of the tempering of the steel at the tooth line. The teeth tend to ping off. It may be possible to touch up the points, but eventualy you need to reset the teeth or the saw will just stick in the cut. Like everything today, saws are not designed to be user repaired and are just disposable. I've not heard of the acid trick before, it sounds interesting. Cheer's.
Colin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE