Rainforest Tarp Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 4, 2017
Cardiff
So I am looking to get a new tarp for when I travel the Amazon this summer, I'll be under it for the best part of 4 months and it needs to be able to hold against numerous tropical storms and spikey plants. Obviously, I won't have the option to replace it while I'm out there, so I really need something I can rely on! Something lightweight and packable would be ideal, as I'll be travelling around a lot and need all my gear to fit comfortably in my backpack.

I'm considering the DD superlight, but I'm a bit unsure about putting all my trust in such a lightweight material..
I came across this also, but I haven't come across these guys before https://www.ukhammocks.co.uk/collections/tarps/products/catdoor-silnylon-tarp?variant=6645460357

Any advice would be much appreciated!! :)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Mat from UKHammocks runs expeditions in the jungles of Borneo with his kit so I would imagine it's fit for purpose, you would still need to take care, as with anything in such an environment for that length of time.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'd take the ukhammocks over the DD any day. If its 4 months solid use in the jungle it will take its toll on all your gear. Better to go (slightly) heavier. Plus the DD superlight isnt really that big and the ukhammocks tarp has doors which will give you some privacy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have one of UKHammock'starps, and Stuart uses them on expedition. The ridge seam will require considerable attention to make it leak proof for tropical rain. Stuart has found this on expedition. Thinned silicon, stretching the seam tight and applying liberally to inside and out, allow to cure while stretched.

Stuart speaks highly of the Jacks R Better tarp he has.

Apr 4, 2017
Cardiff
Ok sweet, I like the look of bespoke's tarps so I sent him and hammockgearUK an email to see what they could do, guess it's a race to see who replies first! Thanks for the recommendations :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v dealt with both scott and matt, bespoke ultralight and ukhammocks several times. They will see you right

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE