Outhaus Palmerston 110

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Morning folks. I'm looking for reviews on the Outhaus Palmerston swag please, hoping a few people here may have one? I'm thinking of getting the 110 wide model for me and the wife - I know it's quite big to carry, but generally we would be using it to camp in vehicle accessible areas or at least not have to walk too far to get in.

It's a fair bit of money to spend but at the same time is cheaper than a holiday. If the quality is there and it will last, I think it'll be a good investment for weekends away? So, has anyone got one, or something similar that I may not have seen? I'd appreciate your feedback please.

I have the occasional hammock night in the woods with friends etc, but would like to do more of it and involve my other half. There's no way I'll get her sleeping under a lightweight tarp in a hammock - she likes to be enclosed. Hence the swag idea. I'd prefer canvas to nylon or other synthetics, it feels more robust and keeps the light out a bit better. There's always the option of setting up my hammock and the swag under a big tarp too if I want to be in the open. She'd be happy enough as long as I wasn't far away. I think I'm looking at the right piece of kit but I've never really done much tenting. I like the idea that this thing has everything built in.

CrispyDuck

Dec 31, 2020
Londonish
I brought one recently second hand after seeing them at a show. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but I was really shocked at the size and weight of it packed up. It’s as big as my 5m bell tent.

Reactions: njc110381

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
I brought one recently second hand after seeing them at a show. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but I was really shocked at the size and weight of it packed up. It’s as big as my 5m bell tent.
Thanks. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it when you manage to get out.

From looking at the website it seems they're about 4' long and 18" round, 16kg. That is pretty hefty. Most of the bulk is the mattress I would have thought? That's the main reason I've written off the idea of going for the 150 model - it's bigger than me when it's packed!

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
No experience of them myself, but a few friends of mine use them (several different Outhaus models) and I know that they really rate them and enjoy using them.
The only thing I'd say however, and apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but wouldn't a nice tent be a better option for you and the missus? For example, I know that Outhaus sell a lovely canvas tipi, for the same price as the swag. Indeed a few friends of mine use that tipi too and it looks like a quality bit of kit.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Well, I know this a bit old now but I thought I'd bring it back up as I've made some progress.

I looked at all sorts of options, failed to make a decision and kind of forgot about it until earlier this week. Then I saw a for sale ad on Facebook Marketplace for a Palmerston 1500 - just like me a lad decided it would be a good thing to get his other half out camping with him but it didn't work out, so he was shifting on his swag in favour of a 900mm wide one to use on his own. Off I went to pick it up. He kindly put it up for me and showed me how it worked - job done! I'm now the proud owner of the biggest model.

In case other people are searching for a review in future I'll keep this thread going with updates when I manage to get out in it. It could be useful for someone else with the same questions as I had.

CrispyDuck

Dec 31, 2020
Londonish
I used my mine for the first time this weekend. Was very impressed. Well insulated, nice and dark and comfortable.

Was hoping Outhaus would be at this year’s Bushcraft show, but didn’t see them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE