Rabbit skins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hardr004

Forager
Jan 16, 2010
chichester
I was just wondering, Whether you needed to do brain tanning on a rabbit skin, if you want to keep the fir on, Or what do you do if you don't?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
i think you can buy simple tanning kits from ebay and other online places that keep the furr on and make the hides good for tailoring. in the mean time freeze the skins to stop them rotting if youre going to order some kits.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
What are you chasing ?

Soft (fur on) leather or bunny rawhide ?

Quick and easy:

Stretch the skin(s) and tack them taught.

Scrape the flesh side clean and cover with salt.

Leave for a day or two in a cool, dark place (garage is ideal).

Scrape off excess salt, rinse in clean water if you like (not necessary), and repeat another once or twice.

You can 'tan' rabbit using tallow or natural hand creams because it's so thin. Cat skins can be done the same way (don't ask me how I know this :D ) but be careful - you can easily tear dry rabbit skins when rubbing the hand cream in and softening it.

I often rinse the skins well in rain water and allow them to dry naturally after the last salting.

Thee's a great method listed on this site: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/1983-01-01/How-To-Tan-Rabbit-Hides.aspx?page=1 using battery acid and salt.

Rabbit skins were cut into strips about an inch wide and made into rawhide and loosely woven into blankets by Native Americans.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE