R&D pocket stove / multi fuel candle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Well I had too much time on my hand so I started making swarf.

Still in R&D, not sure what it's good for, but it does look cute :D

P8100008_zpstlwzibgg.jpg

P8100011_zpswilfdjym.jpg

P8100010_zpseymad39a.jpg

P8100009_zpsvh3ptuop.jpg

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Nice item keep around. As you say it looks cute.

First thing that came to my mind when I read that you were not sure what it could be used for was bear grylls cooking a small piece of meat over a small flame. So there you have it. I'm sure there are preppers out there that would by them from you if you started making them.

I have to say I like and I think it could well have a place In your kit bag.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice wee neat job that. Always be handy if your kindling is slightly damp to get a blaze going.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nice.

Wondering if could get a ferro rod striker in or near the wick... so that strike on the ferro rod would give you a flame. Assuming the wick has some sort of accelerant.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's clearly money well spent mate. How is the reservoir filled? Does it have a hole at the bottom? I do like the idea of some sort of striker to light it.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, I think it's how everlasting matches (aka permanent matches) work.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The nut unscrew from the tube for refill. Thinking of a 'flint and wheel' set up on the cap for the next version.

Great idea, definitely the way to go. Might be worth making it a little shorter to be pocket friendly. Maybe an "O ring" seal under the cap too? Should be possible to fit a standard one.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A little ring on the side to take the likes of a flint wheel assembly from the likes of a Clipper lighter should do the job. (I keep one as a spare ignition source in my possibles pouch.)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not sure if O ring can take the heat but no problem fitting one. Was thinking of fiber gasket.

Silicone will if you can find one. I must admit, I did have the same thought as Colin on the removable flipper flint wheel, but I suspect you can make something snazzier!

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I did wonder if could reverse the threads so that the top screws into the body... then having a silicone o ring on the top wouldn't be less of a problem.

And then some lanyard holes on the ends to keep them together :)

Aren't bic/clipper flints essentially miniature ferrorods? If they are wondering why a spring (to push ferrorod into the wheel), small but 2" long ferro rod and a wheel wouldn't create a spark...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Shiny! Will have to start calling you "Q" if you keep coming up with.gadgets like that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE