Quotations thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
It is not enough that I succeed, everyone else must fail (Atilla the Hun)

Nothing succeeds like a budgie with no teeth (Benny Hill)

Matt

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
:eek:): :lol: :lol:
I like that cheap pun.
And i trusted my skinny butcher, he was a prisoner of war and worked on THE bridge on the river quai. He never recovered from the starvation and remained gaunt and wiry for the rest of his days
Rich

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Keith_Beef said:
I'd render it as "Dare to know".
See, the thing is that it is translated to danish from latin (which is difficult directly to do) and then I translated it from danish to english, so.... :wink: :biggthump (and I did it right :wink: :biggthump )

Searched a little on the net and it can mean both... The 2 sentences are quiet the same, just in a shorter and longer version.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Tomtom: "yes... i see where you are coming from... but they are compleat oposites, the "no fear" slogans suggest winning is the only worth while outcome... but Banksy suggests that even if you win its not that great anyhow"

Totally agree, and Banksy's is a good quote. The rat race is not there to be won, it's there (I think) to be rejected, or at least avoided if at all possible.

<returns to work at his central London desk - daydreaming of the coming weekend...>

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Womble said:
Tomtom: "yes... i see where you are coming from... but they are compleat oposites, the "no fear" slogans suggest winning is the only worth while outcome... but Banksy suggests that even if you win its not that great anyhow"

Totally agree, and Banksy's is a good quote. The rat race is not there to be won, it's there (I think) to be rejected, or at least avoided if at all possible.

<returns to work at his central London desk - daydreaming of the coming weekend...>

oh right.. my misunderstanding :wink:

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
I prefer the absences and the big empties, where the wind ricochets from sand grain to mountain. I prefer the crystalline dryness and an unadulterated sky strewn from horizon to horizon with stars. I prefer the raw edges and the unfinished hems of the desert landscape... Desert is where I want to be when there are no more questions to ask." - Ann -Haymond Zwinger
The Mysterious Lands

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
"The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." --John Ruskin

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
A currently relevent one:

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. "
--John Stewart Mill—

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
And to finish:

“Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you practice crap, you will become a Crapmaster."

"Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...
Lick it once, and you suck forever."

I've had a wonderful evening... but this wasn't it."

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
" Who`s more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him " - Obi Wan Kenobi

" Try not. Do or Do not. There is no try " - Yoda

" We make a living by what we get. But make a life by what we give " - Winston Churchill

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
As the two men stood looking into the chest of a great bear, one turns to the other and says, how are we going to out run him? The other looks at his companion and replies, "I only need to out run you".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE