Quotations thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Some of my favourites are from the war - here's one and some more to come;

'The art of warfare is not to die for you country, but to make the other bast**d die for his'

General George S. Patton, Jr.
Command of the U.S. 3d Army -1944.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
"Nuts"

General McAuliffe commanded the 101st Airborne Division and other troops at Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge (WW 2) and this was his answer to a request to surrender by the commander of the surrounding German forces.

"O.K., let's go"

General Dwight D. Eisenhower words in the early hours of June 5 1944, these words launched the greatest invasion force in the history of warfare - you would of never of thought that these small words, meant so much.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Here is one I like by Bill Bryson:

There are things you just can't do in life. You can't beat the phone company, you can't make a waiter see you until he's ready to see you, and you can't go home again.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
And from another of my favorites, Carl Sagan:

All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Another from Sagan:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
"Instinctively, there is a Woodlander in all of us."

My Wife - last year.

"Our ancient woodlands are a result of what happens when,
for once, man decides to work with nature as opposed to against it”

Me - last year.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
" wait to your Father gets home"

My Mum - when I was a boy...........well, last year actually! :shock:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
"Still round the corner there may wait, A new road or secret gate; And though I oft have passed them by, A day will come at last when I Shall take the hidden paths that run West of the moon, East of the sun." JRR Tolkien

also i like the on in my signature(sp)
\/
\/
\/
\/

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
tomtom said:
also...

"if you win the rat race, your still a rat" Banksy http://www.banksy.co.uk

The "NO FEAR" logos of the nineties always annoyed the hell out of me; the ones I especially remember were "Second place is first loser" and "If you can't win, don't play"

My own response to that last one is "If you can't lose gracefully, you don't deserve to win"

The whole ethos behind that logo makes me very, very angry; not the play to win element, the play to win at all costs one.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Measure by eye.
Mark with chalk.
Cut with axe.
Bang to fit!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Womble said:
The "NO FEAR" logos of the nineties always annoyed the hell out of me; the ones I especially remember were "Second place is first loser" and "If you can't win, don't play"

My own response to that last one is "If you can't lose gracefully, you don't deserve to win"

The whole ethos behind that logo makes me very, very angry; not the play to win element, the play to win at all costs one.

yes... i see where you are coming from... but they are compleat oposites, the "no fear" slogans suggest winning is the only worth while outcome... but Banksy suggests that even if you win its not that great anyhow

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
"What I hear, I forget.
What I see, I remember.
What I try, I master!"

Chinese quote. I guess the short version would be 'Learning by doing'?!?! :biggthump

Posted this (earlier signature) because i got a new sig now.... :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE