Quorn?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I just kind of think of it as solid mushroom.
Folk season meat all the time, Quorn takes on seasoning fairly easily.

I admit that I do like Tofu too though. Not terribly keen on TVP (husband calls that stuff 'tortured vegetable protein' ) or seitan.

It's name comes from the Leicestershire village of Quorn,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn
I don't like TVP, and not tofu much either (silken tofu is useful though) but I love seitan! :)

I'm sensitive to textures so Quorn is a bit hit and miss.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Went to the biggest supermarket here. To TVP, but various Soy protein raw products. Looked not appetizing, so bought nil.

But they had two amazing meats, one whole hare and one whole piglet.
Somebody had placed an special order.....

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I suppose it's a little bit like comparing chicory to coffee. I've tried Quorn in it's various forms, sausage mix,chunks and mince. It won't be finding a place in my slow cooker with a generous measure of ruby ale and other delectable goodies.

I found that quorn sausages weird.

First one went down fine, Second one not so well and I left half of the 3rd one.

Meat sausages though I could eat all day long....

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Back in the seventies I used soya chunks and mince all the time. It could be very chewy if not rehydrated and cooked properly. Pretty tasteless. They did bring out flavoured variety . Beef and chicken if I remember right. Could not realy taste much difference. ... but an oxon cube helped. Not a lot of good if you were a veggie or vegan. Havnt had it for years. I do use Quorn now and then but I'm not keen on it. I used to work for a firm called dragonfly based near totnes that made very tasty tofu burgers. We used to make the tofu from scratch and add stuff to make the burgers. My favourite were the tofu nut burgers. I know the firm was sold on some years ago and I rarely see them in health food shops nowadays. I loved them so much I had one every day! Miss those burgers.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've been trying to remember for years believe me. I wasn't on the mixing ingredients stage of production. Started on vacuum packing and progressed to cooking them for packing and then weighing out the mix and forming the burgers prior to cooking. It was a stopgap job for six months to pay the rent. I do remember that the nut burgers used buckets of peanut butter in the nut burger mix. How I wish I could remember! I'm hungry for one just thinking about them. Got Quorn shepherds pie tonight, but I realy want a dragonfly nut burger peas and new potatoes with parsley butter.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Out of curiosity I've just googled dragonfly tofu burgers. They are still going and are now based in Buckfastleigh Devon. You can apparently buy them in Holland and Barrett now. So should be available nationaly now. Used to be only the south west uk. Hurrah! me go get burgers next shopping trip. Mmmmm

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Excellent flavour enhancers are Maggi Würze ( liquid seasoning), Knorr Aromat, Vegemite
Another way, maybe healthier, is to use a herb called Lovage (Levisticum)
A pinch of monosodium glutamate does wonders too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like Marigold vegetable stock powder.
If I'm making flavouring myself I like to mix the herbs and spices to suit the dish.
Basic mirepoix is very good as a base with Quorn though, or tofu or tvp for that matter.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Seasoning is hugely important for all food.

Boiled unseasoned/unherbed food is so bland and tasteless....

You know that Q. Lizzie 1 got tired of eating boiled meat and bread, with ale and imported a french chef?

In Sweden the food situation started improving only when we had to import a French guy and his wife and make him into our king. Early 1800’.

I have always felt sorry for his wife, I read facimiles of her letters home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE