Quick mqking a quill pen tutoraial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I was kindly given a pair of wild goose wings recently and these, along with those of domestic geese, swans and Turkeys are ideal for conversion into quill pens for those of you so inclined.

Wearing rubber gloves I stripped the large flight feathers from both wings, the 4 or 5 largest are the ones traditionally used for pens. The rest I saved for making paint brushes like on the first episode of Tudor Monestry Farm and use in fletching, when I get round to doing some. being a 18 stone weakling I had trouble pulling these feathers out so resorted to running a knife between them until I hit bone then twisted them out, taking care not to snap them. The residual meat and skin attached I carefully scraped off the quills with the back of the knife, then gave them a good clean in boiling water.

pen01_zpscec5e979.jpg

I had the wings from a very reliable source but if you are aquiring them be carefull to check the wings for parasites etc and process them with all due care for H & S.

To harden the quills I then heated up a bowl of clean sand in the oven to about 180 C for about 20 to 30 minutes and then using a trivet or similar to support the pot plunged the quills into the sand as deep as they would go and left the lot to cool. when removed from the sand the quills will have gone opaque up to the point they were covered. At this point check that you have removed all the membrane from the outside of the working end.

pen02_zps51f6fa82.jpg

Back in the day it was norm to remove all or the vast majority of the barbs and all of the fluffy stuff you get near to the tip. In manuascripts what look like sticks being used by scribes to right with are stripped quills, or in early ones reeds , with all the barbs cut off and the whole thing made a managable length. I like them like this.

pen04_zps83bfaa9a.jpg

The next stage is to slice the end off at quite a steep angle, I like a new 11P scalpel blade for this. then you need to remove the membrane from inside the cavity you have exposed. Long thin tweezers and a old knitting needle work for me.

pen05_zpse7e29ec6.jpg

The next job is to split the top, from inside the tube section to the tip, the trick being doing it without leaving a huge gap at what will be the tip. You will be trimming the tip back later so dont worry about this to much.

pen06_zps5613c7e4.jpg

Then its a case of paring back the sides until you have a nib the size and shape you want. do a bit one side then the other until you are happy with it. Once you start using it you can still alter the shape.

pen07_zps06d22445.jpg

thing to bare in mind is that this sort of pen was used on a sloping writing surface so when in use the quill is almost horizontal in relation to the planet so the ink isnt inclined to dribble straight down. Dip and wipe the point top and bottom and ink will be drawn down the slit to the tip from the resevoir in the un cut part of the quill which is why the split has to be so long.

pen08_zpsbc1c4d58.jpg

Its a case of doing it and seeing what you like. I'm sure theres some really skilled calligraphers out there that can add a lot to this, Im very much a newbie.

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Brilliant - thanks for this Tom - going to give this a try - along with oak gall ink - over Winter :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'll be doing the oak gall ink tutorial next, just dug out a old stoneware pint ink bottle to put the stuff in.

ATB

Tom

PS does anyone know where I can get a few ounces of logwood (as in the stuff shipped back from central America during the 17th/18th Cs)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's pretty much the best quill tutorial I've seen, simple and concise. Have made quills before but never hardened then in sand. (Last one was a buzzard feather - was OK).

Thanks very much for that, maybe something for me to get back up too in the forthcoming winter nights - by candle/lamp light of course though!

Cheers,
GB.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd had a go at the ink gall before, worked tolerably well, but a bit brown when it was laid down, but then "developed". I didn't have much success with the quills, but the business of working with the quill horizontally makes complete sense now....

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Unfortunately the postage seams to be more than the cost of the goods, if you are just buying the one thing. Will see if there's any shops that do dyeing in the towns I visit.

The ink in the last pic is gall stuff but a couple of years old, it's gone very black and I had to add a little water as it had thickened up some.

Atb

tom

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Let me have a burrow into the shed in the morning Tom, and I'll see if I can find what I have left over. You're more than welcome to it.
Y'know? companies that charge a fortune for p&p put me off buying, they really do :sigh:

atb,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
That would be great if you can find half a ounce, which is all I need to make a pint in the ink recipe I want to try. I'm scaling down from making half a gallon, which is a bit much for personal use! No fuss if you don't get a chance but thanks!

atb

Tom

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's bound to be more than that of the stuff in the tubs. I'll dig into the boxes tomorrow (when I can see what I'm doing without freezing myself into an icicle :hatscarf: ) and see what I have.

atb,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
This is a really interesting thread, I'd never thought of making quills. I use to use the "nib" end of goose feathers as a tube for where the whipcord joins the end of the holly stick on driving whips, and then bind (whip) it with fine cord...........Always amazed me what a strong material it is after the hot sand treatment; despite long searching I never found anything to better it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE