"Quick cheap pocket stove": Made

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
Just made the "Quick cheap pocket stove" from this article. Here are the results:

Stove packed away.
Mini-Stove1.jpg

Stove with lit tinder.
Mini-Stove2.jpg

Stove up and running.
Mini-Stove3.jpg

Stove with nice hot blue flame boiling water.
Mini-Stove4.jpg

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
I tried one of these but the smell of so much burning wax turned my stomach, and i was outside with plenty of ventilation! Anyone else had similar effects?

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
The pot stand is made from 3mm welding rods with the flux removed. It quite easy construction but quite hard to put into words. This picture should make sense:
Mini-Stove5.jpg

Sabre iom - Theres not much smell from the burning wax at all - You can't really smell anything when using it outdoors. What wax did you use?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im going to try one of these.

Ill use one of those little square foil dishes that cat food comes in, I have proper tins but like to save for other purposes.

Ive also made fuel blocks out of card and nightlight wax.

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
As far as i remember it was just a standard house hold candle i used , and it gave off a real strong smell when i used it. Even though i was outdoors, when i had to adjust my cup etc and got near the stove it gave off such a sickly odour i never tried it again . Maybe i should have peservered with a different type of wax :rolleyes: Your stand is a good piece of home engineering, i used aluminium strips which folded into the top of the tin.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I made those with some kids a few years back.

We used a small cat food tin with the top lip tottaly removed and lined it with foil. One the wax had set we pulled it all out trimmed the foil, wrapped a 1/2" strip of gaffer tape round the outside and used them as dispoable stoves.

Asda was the best place for wax, at the time it was 100 tea lights for £1, we used 5 per stove and poked the wicks into the card board to give a good spread of flames.

The pot stand was three metal tent pegs banged into the ground round the stove.

I have just rememberd that somebody made one in a sweet corn tin that had been cut down and bent over to fit in a trangia. :p You could probably use yours in the miltary versions quite well.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
This reminds me of the trangia-style burners you can make out of soda cans. It's really easy and the burners are light and efficient.
There's one swedish guy who made a really nice set of instructions, you've probably all seen this before:
http://www.andersj.se/koket3.htm

unfortunatly the text is in swedish but if you don't get the picture from the pics, you shouldn't go camping ;)

(and no, it's not my site! ;)

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I put this together a while ago.

I didn't bother marking out or using scissors or a hole punch as i wanted to try a real "hobo" approach so this is just made from 2 beer cans and i used a SAK "Soldier" to cut everything.
I wanted to make this as simply as possible and i didn't want to use tape to hold it together so i just crimped the edges a little and it held fine.
425_2530_1.jpg
425_2533_1.jpg

Fill with meths or in this case Industrial spirits (i use this in my trangia as it burns much cleaner and doesn't soot up the pot's as much).
When it light the flame's only comes from the centre.
425_2538_1.jpg
425_2555_1.jpg

After a few seconds the flames start to come out the holes round the side.
I moved into the shed for these pic's as the flames are hard to see in daylight.
425_2582_1.jpg
425_2599_1.jpg

It's strong and stable enough to support a crusader cup and one fill was more than enough to bring a half full cup to a roaring boil and it was surprisingly quick.
426_2626_1.jpg
426_2621_1.jpg

5 min's turns 2 empty can's into a stove that cost's about as much as it weighs (nothing).

rb

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I use a tiny little stove made from 2 red bull cans in my Crusader cooker. There's a thread on it here. It's a slightly different approach - it uses a coin over the fill hole to build up some pressure. :)

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
rapidboy that´s a nice design for the real case of emergency: take pocket knife and convert a road find into a semiuseful thing of gear.
Of course a little bit too much work - with 2 cans of different diameter (beer & RB)) you´d be off with a lot less effort: big can 2" taller than smaller can, 1" hole in bottom of bigger can. Insulate smaller can with flat piece of wood from ground (make sure to have a gap allowing airflow into the bigger can), fill with alc., ingnite und put bigger can with bottom up over it. Yes, the bigger can is just the air guide and nozzle. Use tent sticks as a pot holder

Did you ever test the effiency (fuel consumption to boiling time ratio) of your design?

about half of the pot bottom isn´t heated .....

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
gregorach said:
I use a tiny little stove made from 2 red bull cans in my Crusader cooker. There's a thread on it here. It's a slightly different approach - it uses a coin over the fill hole to build up some pressure. :)

I use the Red Bull/Toast Topper combo with a slightly different design, which could be used in a Rapidboy hobo stove style.

Instead of cutting a circle, from the top half can, I make a couple of smallish holes part way up the innner side dome. None on the very bottom. This mean that you can pour your meths straight onto the top (inverted )dome, First 5 or so millilitres fill up the domw and are the priming fuel, when it reaches the bottom of the holes it flows into the inner can becomes the main fuel. Less effort than Rapidboy's orignal and also means less chance of slipping and cutting oneself with a folding blade ;)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
tecNik said:
Just made the "Quick cheap pocket stove" from this

I use this priciple for my emergency stove. I always keep a strip of corrugated card in my emergency kit with a spare tea light, scrape the outside of the tealight down, wrap with the cardboard and place back in the foil.

I've had reasonable sucess using the corrugated card, in just the tea light case, using parafin/lamp oil, the trick was to take a drawing pin and pierce the card along it's bottom edge ( or small slits with a knife ) to let the lamp oil flow into the gaps in the card so it can soak up the fuel more easily.

Both these tend to leave a bit of a sticky mess behind but worth the effort of the extra clean up, caused by playing with a couple of times, just so you know you can do it if you have to.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
cyclist said:
Did you ever test the effiency (fuel consumption to boiling time ratio) of your design?

about half of the pot bottom isn´t heated .....

It's not my design , i can't remember the link but it was from an online source.

My father lost his trangia on a days hike last winter, (dog sent it flying over a cliff :rolleyes: ) and he returned home cold and miserable.
Now unfortunately the mountains are far from pristine these days and it's all too easy to find an empty drinks can so i made that one from a single beer just to prove that a very serviceable stove could be made in an emergency.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE