Quick Bannock Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Is there any difference between using plain flour and baking powder, or self raising??

I have never made it before, though i have read on here it can be made with both?

Thanks,
Mark

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`m not sure of the quantites Mark but yes they are the same.

If I was making a small bannock I`d use 1cup of plain flour, 1 cup of milk powder and 1 tsp of baking powder. I the ratios are right in the self-raising then it will work. Never tried it myself though :)

Self raising flour is roughty 200g flour + 1tsp baking powder + micropinch of salt

(baking powder is cream of tartar and bicard, btw)

So of you have a weight for a cup of flour there Shewie, we can see if you are close to self raising or more or less.

I wonder if anyone makes "bannock mix" up in advance.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I always make up my bannock mix in advance, usually in big batches and then devide it into "loaf" size amounts in resealable bags.
I can then add water to the bag, mix it in there and be mess free!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I always use self-raising flour.
And, like others, I always pre-mix before I go out (to the ratio of one handful of self-raising flour, one spoonfull of brown sugar, one egg. Plus fruit or whatever you want to put in it)

Podcast Bob

I use a simple 3:1 ratio. 3 cups of self raising flour to 1 cup of dried milk, then whatever takes your fancy to taste salt, etc.

The tip is to mix it up at home and then break into small individual plastic bags, into which you add water a bit at a time, and mix it up without getting our hands messy and stuff everywhere.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thanks guys. I get the general idea. I was going to make the mix pre-trip anyway, got a cold week ahead in the lakes.According to one of the weather sites the snow is up to a meter deep in places. More expected.

Thanks guys. I get the general idea. I was going to make the mix pre-trip anyway, got a cold week ahead in the lakes.According to one of the weather sites the snow is up to a meter deep in places. More expected.

!!!

Any idea which places? That'd be deep enough to head out with my backcountry gear and get a few runs on my snowboard!

<general note of caution>almost any hill with snow on it has the potential to avalanche, hills and mountains in winter are dangerous - stay safe folks</general note of caution>

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Useful weather line number if you`re heading up there Mark

08700 550575

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
As an experiment I kept my bannock mix the same roughly following the John Fenna resipe------- resipe 1 use baking powder resipe 2 use bicarbonate of soda result any different result NONE must say though John used a lot more baking powder than I would BUT saying that it has been said do not be afraid of using baking powder

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Tried the self raising flour,milk powder,in equal parts worked a treat,i added honey and raisins and it was really nice, i found the hardest part getting the amount of waterd added right to much and the bannock stayed a bit doughy in the centre, but when i got it right,it was nice and light and fluffy,and the misses knicked most of it.

B

Bobster

I made some last night for the first time, with self raising flour, all was going well until I added the water. OMG talk about mess, my hands looked like one of those Australian 'prickly' lizards but with sultanas sticking on, luckily the wife was out so I had time to clean up. :D

I may have put a bit too much water in :confused: It did taste nice though :)

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Haha^^ I made the same mistake camping last week, added too much water and made a mess, was still delicious though, lots of sultanas, cherries, grated apple and cinnamon.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Just got back today. Had to come home a couple of days early as one of the kids who was staying with family was poorly. She's ok, nothing major i think she was just missing us. We haven't left them behind before and we thought it would be too cold for them at this time of year.

Made Bannock a few times. I think i too used too much water the first couple of times.

I used the 3 to 1 recipe with half tsp of baking powder for good measure. The first one i added garlic granules and herbs to go with a chicken curry done in a dutch oven. I did one with sugar chopped nuts and sultana's. The rest i did with oats and honey as a breakfast bannock. They were all nice.

Podcast Bob

The cleanest way to do it, is certainly to make a small mix up in a small plastic ziplock bag and then just add a bit of water to the bag (at a time) and massage it in, from the outside.

Keeps the grubby, 'dropped it in the dirt' look off the plate ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE